“Motel style Inn”

Hamilton Village Inn
Reviewed 12 September 2011

The inn/motel is located just about 20 minutes outside of Newport and about 5 minutes from the very quaint village of Wickford Cove, a must visit. We were here for a family wedding and this was the most convenient place to stay for the church and the reception. Our room (Room 201) was very quiet, 2nd floor, just heard some noise from some late party goers. The A/C is weak and made a loud noise when it would cycle itself. The rooms are very large. The bathroom was clean however our shower curtain was musty and the toilet had a ring (hard water maybe). The bed was firm but others in our party said the bed was terrible, but sleeping in a hotel is never the same as your bed at home. The restaurant was fine for breakfast, fast service, and overall nice staff. I am typically a name brand hotel type person but this place was fine. Great location if traveling by car to get to other great spots in that area.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Stevenrma

Reviewed 1 September 2010

Stayed one night for a visit to Salve Regina College in Newport (about 11miles away).
Large and spacious rooms with wireless internet. Perfect for our one night stay. no complaints.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank chyman59
Reviewed 27 August 2010

If you are looking for something basic and close to both the RI Southern beaches and touristy Newport, then this motel serves its purpose. We stayed in non smoking room 215 which was VERY spacious - it had two queen beds with lots of floor space (we paid about $270 total for two nights). It had both a front and back balcony. Like other reviews, there was no shampoo, conditioner, hair dryer or ironing board. We traveled with two small children and if you needed a crib, you had to pay extra so we brought our own and there was more than enough space for it. They had a laundromat onsite which was nice. There was a hot water heater and little instant coffee packets since there was no continental breakfast. I didn't interact with the front office very much - the woman at the desk seemed pleasant enough. On the property, there was the Sea View Restaurant (although the sea was nowhere in sight) which served great food! We ordered the breakfast pu-pu platter for 2 for $13 bucks and it could have served four people there was so much food!

All in all - the room was fine - nothing memorable about it, so I guess that's not a bad thing.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 September 2009

I was more than dissapointed with our stay. No breakfast, no iron and ironing board,
no blow dryer and not even shampoo in the room . When I asked why they didn't put shampoo in the room, they said they were afraid people would steal it!!!! Next time I'll pay $20.00 more and get ocean view.

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed 30 November 2007

I have stayed at the Hamilton Inn on a couple of occassions. At first I thought it was quaint inn, and it still may be, however I am begining to have my doubts about it.

While the upstairs units are newer, the inn IS aging. My room a couple of years ago was at least clean, this visit not so much.

We arrived late afternoon and were given a room in the back. I used the bathroom upon arriving and not only found that the bathroom window was open and could not be closed, but found myself stuck in the bathroom. The door had swelled and I could not open it. If my husband had not been travelling with me, I might still be stuck in there.

We asked for another room and were given one two doors down after much sighing from the gal behind the counter. I do believe we interuppted her soap operas, which apparently is a cardinal sin.

Again, this seemed to be a deserted area of the inn, around to the back. that I promptly named Stephen King Lane because it seemed to be a perfect setting for one of his books save it was RI and not Maine.

The cleanliness was left to be desired and the age of the room was very apparent. Plastic lawn chairs seem to be the theme because those were the only chairs in the room. The bathroom didn't look as though it had been cleaned in a while and the toilet was dirty.

Upon awakening the next morning, we were suprised to see the Inn only half full and wondered what you needed to do to rate a better room up front? Perhaps we weren't worthy?

Breakfast at the diner was sufficient but over priced. We met friends there for dinner (we had reservations) but the waitress looked at us as if we were a colony of space aliens there to take over the place. She did accomodate us, though, and without too much fuss. She did not bring our chowder and I believe we were still charged for it. Look over your bill carefully.

My friend's room was upstairs and much, much nicer than ours. Perhaps those who stay here and enjoy it get one of those. Something to think about when making reservations.

All in all, Hamilton Village Inn has lost some of it's charm for me. A little work put into renovating some of the lower rooms might help, but the owners should really look into hiring some better staff that understand's that we, the customer, are the one's ultimately paying them.

I would think twice and then a third time before staying here again.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 23 August 2007

I went to this inn last August 2006 with my three kids and we liked it so much we went back TWICE this summer! We stayed on the second floor in one of the newer queen rooms in July and went back and stayed in one of the lower level king rooms the second time in August. We have been very lucky I guess because we have never had any problems with this inn. I will continue to go back every summer. It's a little ride to the beach (10 minutes or so) but it's just too expensive for me with three kids to stay anywhere closer to the beach. This inn is so convenient to a new Stop & Shop, a Walmart, a restaurant (Gregg's) that my kids love, a gas station, and a new CVS is being built right now. I just don't see any reason to stay anywhere else!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2007

When my husband and I had arrived to the hotel, it didn't seem that bad. It was dark though. We were put in a smoking room when we had requested a non smoking room. This would not have been a problem if those were the only rooms available, but we noticed empty non smoking room as the doors are labeled as so. The room was hot because they didn't have the air running. There was no closet. Be prepared to bring your own ironing board and blow dryer unless you want to borrow from the main office every morning. You only get a window of 2 hours to keep those things. The ironing board that you do get is only a table board. I felt like I was in college again. Upon settling in the first night, my husband noticed blood on the sheets and it wasn't his. We figured these sheets would be changed the next day. Well, you have to be staying in the room for 4 days before they change your sheets. So, we decided...we bother to let the cleaning crew in the room. We put the do not disturb sign up when we went to breakfast. When we got back, they were in our room. My husband asked why they were in there being that we had the sign up. They stated they were required in order to keep their AAA membership. When my husband approached the motel manager about this, the manager stated the same thing. It would have been nice if the cleaning staff actually cleaned the bathroom. The floor was gross! We spent 99.00 a night. It's about 15 minutes from the nearest beach. The restuarant next door served a yummy breakfast. Needless to say, I am begging everyone never to give Hamilton Village Inn anymore business that they already have recieved!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
Ocean Rose Inn
#5 of 8 in Narragansett
Hampton Inn Coventry-Warwick Area
Mainstay Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Hamilton Village Inn? Share your experiences!