Shamrock Farms Bed and Breakfast
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Portsmouth
See available hotels
Bay Willows Inn(Middletown)
View Hotel
All reviewsfrench toastb bthe ownerfresh fruitnewport arearooms are spaciousrhode islandirish musica wonderful staygrounds are beautifulantique furniturewhirlpool tubpancakeshidden gemwilliamirelandbarn
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 September 2011

This is a beautiful barn turned B&B. It's beautifully decorated with antiques. Our room, Eileen Virginia, had a silver, clawfoot tub & faced the back of the property. Breakfast was a real 3 course treat! The hot banana nut & lemon poppy seed muffins were to die for right out of the oven, followed by fresh cut fruit, then eggs any style, except poached with bacon & toast! Even the coffee was delish! We will be back. Oh yeah, we never even made it to Newport!!! I should mention we slept great & the other visitors all mentioned at breakfast how well they slept.

Room Tip: Choosing a room is only by decoration only as the barn is back from the street & there is little noise.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2010

What a lovely place! From the moment that you arrive you know that this is a place well cared for and carefully created to provide a relaxing and attractive stay. Every detail has been thought out and that makes this such an interesting place.

We stayed in the Edinburgh Suite which is fabulously decorated with all kinds of old furnishings but that still has great mod cons like the flat screen TV and a fridge. A quick word about the bed, if you're short like me (5'4") you almost need a ladder to get up there. Once you make it though it is a really comfortable bed and we both slept very well.

Breakfast was amazing, and very, very filling. We were only there for one night but would have been happy to stay for longer. Before we left in the morning the owner was so helpful showing us a map and recommending the best route to take and things to see before we left RI. We followed his advice and had a great morning.

If you're in this area on holiday please stay here, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2009

if you do everyone will find out about it and never want to stay anywhere else and then the place will fill up and I won't be able to find a room again. :)

This is easily the best American B&B I have ever stayed at. The rooms are spacious and beautiful and extremely well-appointed with a stocked fridge and a whirlpool pub w/bubble bath and minerals. And two rarities for B&Bs, QUIET and state-of-the-art CLIMATE CONTROL are in abundance here. The setting is beautiful, on a quiet road with a great view. The gardens are immaculately maintained and invite walkers with a romantic loveseat and a two-person swing. The public areas are inviting. The breakfast including two kinds of muffins baked minutes earlier, then buttered and toasted, plus fresh fruit, juice (not fresh), and one morning the best French toast I ever had, on Portuguese bread. Another morning he was offering omelettes and I asked for vegetable and he didn't have enough vegetables so he went out back and picked them.

Everything is thought of -- the muffins stay out all day in case you want a snack and we had no trouble finding a corkscrew, and the host provides laminated maps with suggested routes on them. The host is right nearby but not in your face. He is extremely accessible but also invisible if not needed, the ideal B&B host. Because I was not allowed to ride my bicycle across the Rte 24 bridge to Aquidneck Island (William, if you are reading this , you lose the bet -- your island is indeed officially known as Rhode Island on USGS surveys), he came and fetched me from Tiverton, and drove me to the Farm the slow way, to show me roads I might ride back on to avoid the main avenues.

There are so many good things to say about this place that I am probably leaving some out but that just means you can discover them on your own. Ignore the reviewer who gave this one star -- she never even made it here. A little sour grapes from someone who messed up her own reservation.

William, if you are reading this feel free to give out my email contact information to anyone who doesn't believe that an inn can be this good.

OK, everything can't be perfect, right...so what wasn't? Well, I could have used a fluffier pillow and maybe the OJ could be squeezed but that is really nit-picking and I only mention these two things so people reading this review realize that it was written of free will, and not with a gun to my head.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank OOBonomist
Reviewed 23 July 2009

My wife and I traveled from Long Island to attend our daughter's graduation from Roger Williams Law School last summer and could have stayed in her home in Portsmouth but at the last minute asked our daughter to find a B&B for us instead. Our daughter remembered passing by the Shamrock Farm and called ahead for us and luckily they had an open room for us. We were greeted by the owner, William, a warm and gracious man,at about 11PM and from the moment we entered this rustic and charming converted barn we knew we were in for a special treat. Everywhere we looked there was a visual and sensory reminder of farming days gone by and exactly how the occupants lived and worked over a century ago. Much of the entryway is neatly decorated with old farming tools and much of the massive old barn timbers were used in creating a cozy and inviting entry. The rooms are spacious and sparkling clean and William is especially meticulous in his room decorations with Irish lace, and wonderful antique furniture pieces throughout the rooms.
After a restful nights sleep on a really top notch mattress , his guests are really treated to and amazing homemade breakfast that matches the grand old building. The lemon poppy and cranberry orange muffins are a mouthwatering treat and the waffles,pancakes, bacon and eggs are all cooked to perfection. Since our first visit, last summer, we have returned this past winter and we are looking forward to staying at William's farm again in a few days . I'm getting hungry just thinking about his breakfasts.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2009

My husband and I recently stayed here for a one night getaway. The rooms were great and the breakfast the next morning was delicious! If you want to be close to Newport but not right in the thick of it, this is a perfect location. It is also very close to two wineries and not a far drive to others along the coastal wine trail.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple