“Could be nice, but...”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portsmouth
Pennington, New Jersey
“Could be nice, but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

We booked here last-minute to extend a trip to the Newport area. The person who checked us in was very gracious and gave us suggestions for local sights and restaurants. The motel is quiet and out of the way, which was nice.

The room itself was sadly outdated and in need of work. The wallpaper was peeling in the bathroom, and there were only enough (small, thin) towels for 2 of us, even though we had made the reservation for 4. The pull-out couch was ancient and uncomfortable, and the paper-thin mattress kept falling through where there used to be springs.

In the end, we felt we had paid too much for what we got, and it is a shame, since the staff were so nice and helpful and the place has so much potential if it were just given some upgrading and care.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Dennysville, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

Really a nice little place, comfortable, convenient. Not modern but very clean and everything you need and more. Coffee in room, refrigerator, stove, microwave. Beds are fine, nice shower and good (not great but fine) internet. Extremely friendly and solicitous staff (without being intrusive). I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Suites are large and comfortable
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Rockaway Park, New York, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

Yes, these units were not modern but I found them to be very clean. The grounds were well kept and maintained beautifully. I enjoyed the layout of the room because it felt like a studio apartment but the bed still had it's own area away from the common area. When we arrived we were greeted with the sweetest greeting. I am not sure what her name was, but she was extremely helpful and eager to accommodate. We brought our dog and it had plenty of grounds for our dog to run around. This motel is perfectly situated between three main roads, 114, 138 and 24 but still managed to stay quiet and serene. I recommend this motel to those who do not want to spend a lot of money but want a relaxing atmosphere. My only issue was that garbage became an issue. My suggestion to the motel is to have garbage cans outside and collected because it becomes a burden in the room, especially if you bring in food like we did.

Room Tip: I don't think any rooms would be a bad choice.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank laurabeth510
Yorktown Heights, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

Loved this motel. The price was so much better than everything else in the area and the room was clean and comfortable. The bed was great and the room had everything I needed, including easy access to wi-fi. Parking is right in front of your door so it's easy to move in and out. And the location is perfect for Roger Williams University parents - right across the bridge from campus. I already booked our room here for parents weekend next fall. Great find!

Room Tip: For a little more money, the woman at the desk told me they have efficiency apartments as well.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank kwinsted
Miller Place, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

This place is perfect, the grounds are pretty, it's easy to get to and rates are reasonable. Our daughter attends RWU and the owner is always accommodating and friendly when we come to visit. Our room has always been clean, comfortable and roomy and we have always felt safe. We will definitely be back and will absolutely recommend!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Judy W
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

My fiance and I took a last minute road trip up to Newport over Labor Day weekend. Had an amazing time around Newport...until we started looking for a hotel. Unfortunately they were all booked! This led us to Founders Brook Motel & Suites in Portsmouth, RI.

Look I understand that most hotels in the Newport area are $300+ a night, especially on holiday weekends, and this Motel is one of the cheaper ones. And I know that means expectations should be lower and we should only expect so much from them. But honestly, coming in at $139 a night this place is a COMPLETE rip off and for that price you should just pitch a tent on the beach and pay the fine you'll receive if you're busted.

If it were $49 a night then maybe I would understand the following:

-Motel reception reeked of old Indian food. I mean, it's called Febreeze or lighting a candle
-Hotel room hadn't been updated, refreshed, seriously cleaned since 1960's
-Dirty walls, water stains, dirty carpets, stained sheets
-Shower faucet sprayed an annoyingly harsh mist, the kind where you can't put your face on it because it hurts (and I'm not 80 years old, I'm 32)
-Did I mention bed sheets were stained? Yea. They were probably clean. But they were stained. Freaking nasty. And for $139 a night I would think they can buy new sheets every so often.
-Kitchenette was just...gross.
-We checked for bedbugs and didn't see any. Yayy.
-TV worked. Yaay.
-We ripped bed comforters off immediately because God only knows last time they cleaned 'em

But we slept there. The night itself was fine and we made the most of it because it was an adventure and it's something we can laugh about...and because there were no bed bugs, we already paid, and we had no other options.

I would love to see this Motel on that show "Hotel Impossible". The property itself is nice, easily accessible from highway, and it's only 20 minutes away from Newport. If they were smart they would invest in the property to encourage repeat customers. As it stands now, I'll never go back.

I'm only reviewing this so no one else overpays to stay here. Until they drop their prices further or make some very necessary upgrades to the rooms I would never suggest it.

Good luck all!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank kathleen k
cambridge ma
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012

Very tired room. Stains and tears on the box spring; cigarette burns and stains on the bedspread, peeling wallpaper in the bathroom and the water-saving shower head with pressure so low I couldn't rinse the shampoo out of my hair. Oh, and the room smelled of old cigarette smoke. The little fridge could barely keep things cool and forget ice cubes. Never again. These folks need to get their act together and spruce up the place. The only good thing I can say is the the staff were very nice.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank moonshadow
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Bristol Harbor Inn
Bristol Harbor Inn
#1 of 1 in Bristol
Travelodge Middletown Newport Area
Newport Ambassador Inn & Suites
Hampton Inn Fall River/Westport
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites Middletown - Newport

Been to Founder's Brook Motel & Suites? Share your experiences!