“Average hotel”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in South Kingstown
Albany, New York
“Average hotel”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I recently spent a night here while attending a wedding in Narragansett. This hotel is average. It was clean and comfortable enough, and in a good location, but nothing about the stay stood out to me. We booked it because this is where the bride and groom had reserved "blocks" of rooms, but in the end I felt it was overpriced for what we received.

The good:
- very comfortable beds, bedding, and pillows. Loved how the pillows were labeled as soft or firm.
- front desk staff was friendly and lent us a corkscrew :)
- housekeeper was friendly
- we didn't have a chance to use the pool but it looked nice
- small shopping plaza with Dunkin' Donuts and pharmacy (among other things) immediately adjacent and accessible from the parking lot
- ample parking
- short drive to beach area and other recreation (shops, restaurants, etc.)

The not-so-good:
- this hotel is in need of serious renovations. The only elevator (that I saw) is in an extremely inconvenient location relative to both the lobby and many of the rooms. It is essentially in a back corner of a hallway and you have to go through a lot of other hallways to access it.
- the hallways have an extremely outdated feel to them and would benefit from more light
- everything seemed clean enough, but the rooms and hallways had an old, dingy feel
- the front desk clerk was unable to tell us about transportation options to the Providence airport. I would expect that there would be at least a brochure that lists the available options.
- no "pantry" or "gift shop" type place to buy sundries or small snack items; there were vending machines on the floors, however. The front desk did have a very limited selection of toiletries for purchase, but there was at most 2-3 of any given item available.
- expensive for the quality of the hotel, but maybe that's just the time of year and location (August near a popular vacation area)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Hotel S, General Manager at Holiday Inn South Kingstown, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Hi Amanda W.
Thank you for taking the time to write and let us know your comments while staying with us. We certainly appreciate that the staff was able to meet your expectations. Our guests have spoken and the hotel has listened. We will be undergoing a full renovation come this late fall. All guestrooms, corridors, lobby and restaurant will be updated. Hopefully your travels will bring you back to stay with us and you can see the difference.
Doug

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Cresskill, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The hotel is only minutes from URI, a few miles from Narragansett and Jamestown and a 20 minute drive to Newport. The room was clean, with very comfortable beds and effective air conditioning. The pool was nice and the volleyball court was very useful. The staff, especially at the front desk could not have been more helpful (restaurant / sight seeing suggestions and heating our leftovers in their microwave!). Although we did not eat at the restaurant, some members of our party enjoyed the food. I don't think the restaurant keeps regular hours, as it was closed at noon on Sunday, during our stay.

If you get a room on the third or fourth floor, I'd suggest parking in the rear of the lot, since the only elevator is at the rear of the building. This hotel may not have all the amenities or the largest facilities, but it offers good, clean accommodations at a reasonable rate at a convenient location. I would stay here again in the future. The upcoming renovation will only make it a more attractive destination.

Room Tip: If you get a room on the third or fourth floor, I'd suggest parking in the rear of the lot, sinc...
Green Features: We were glad to participate in the towel reuse program.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Hello PaulTravel25:
It is always nice to hear that a guest expectations were exceeded while staying with us. Your comments will certainly be shared with the staff. They strive every day to make our guests happy and it is rewarding to know they have succeeded. You are correct in the late fall we will be undergoing a major renovation of all the guestrooms, corridors,
Sutton, United States
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Hotel is clean, well-maintained with a helpful, friendly staff. Conveniently located to most popular spots to visit in Rhode Island. The restaurant in the hotel is phenomenal, the food is fresh, delicious and reasonable. The hotel also offers a breakfast buffet which makes for a nice addition to the stay.

Room Tip: All rooms are convenient and the staff will accommodate any special requests.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Irene B
Hi Irene B.
Thank you for taking the time to post your kind comments. The staff and I are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay while at the Holiday Inn, South Kingstown, RI. I hope that you will be able to visit us gain and enjoy some of New England’s greatest beaches and food.
Reviewed 22 July 2014

One of the worst experiences I've ever had! They could careless about their patrons! I left my kindle in my room the day I checked out. I called 3 times that same day and everyday following. It took 3 days for anyone to call me back, only to tell me that they were waiting to speak with the person who cleaned my room. Since then nothing, that was a couple of days ago. I have never me more unhelpful and untrustworthy staff. Don't leave anything important out because if it goes missing, no one there will care. My advise, if anything happens, simply call the south Kingston police and report your items stolen, as I may yet still do!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank whsvolleygirl
Hotel S, General Manager at Holiday Inn South Kingstown, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Whsvollygirl:
It is truly disappointing to hear that your stay with us ended on such a sad note. We take all allegations of theft or missing property from our rooms very serious. We will continue to review and monitor the situation.

Travellers are raving about these South Kingstown hotels

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I do a lot of traveling and always stay in an ihg property. This hotel has a great location. But it is in desperate Need of a makeover. The staff was very attentive and friendly and always asking if we needed anything so that is a 5 star point but the rooms just need to be up dated. I would stay at the other IHG property if ever back in this Area.

• Stayed July 2014
Hotel S, General Manager at Holiday Inn South Kingstown, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Hi TerriW.
You will be glad to know that the hotel will be undergoing a full renovation makeover come this late fall.
All of our guestrooms, lobby and hallways will be updated in time for next summer. Make sure to come visit us again and see the new look of the guestrooms. We will have the same great friendly staff along with new rooms.

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Got this place as one of those "you don't get the name of the place till you book it" deals so it was a steal. Older hotel that has been renovated and isn't bad but you can tell. Bed was great, even pull out wasn't bad. Extremly friendly staff, can't say enough good things about the people I've delt with at the front desk. Restruant wasn't very good but again very friendly staff and kids eat free so wasn't too bad. Bar seemed to be mostly townee's but I sometimes that's ok. Overall a good hotel for the price and location. Too many people in patrots garb but that's not the hotels fault. :)

Stayed July 2014
Dear SHObrad:
Glad to hear that everything was great and you enjoyed your stay. We pride ourselves on our friendly staff and customer service. Look forward to you staying again with us.
Regards
Lenox, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I had a discounted rate through the University of Rhode Island for an orientation event. It was a nice hotel . Very close to campus. I stayed on the ground floor which had a sliding glass door to a patio by the pool. I enjoyed that since I did not have that boxed in feeling I get sometimes when staying at hotels. The young staff was very nice and courteous. I only wish that there was complimentary coffee in the morning in the lobby. They have a coffee maker in the room but I need real milk and not the powder stuff. I paid way,way, too much money for a tiny cup of coffee at the attached restaurant. (Which is not owned by the hotel) I will be back in the area over the next 4 years while one of my daughter's attends the school. Although the hotel was fine I think I will explore other places that have more of a vacation feel. Newport is so close, why not?

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Susannlee:
Thank you for letting us know that you had enjoyed your stay at the Holiday Inn, South Kingstown, RI. With being only minutes from the University of Rhode Island makes us a great choice to stay while visiting the campus. We are always glad to hear that the hotel met your expectations. Hopefully you are able to visit some of our great beaches and enjoy the rest of your summer.

Regards
The Break
#1 of 8 in Narragansett
TownePlace Suites Providence North Kingstown
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina

Been to Holiday Inn South Kingstown? Share your experiences!