“Ridiculously amazing B&B”
Review of Admiral Dewey Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Kingstown
Admiral Dewey Inn
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The Admiral Dewey exceeded all of my expectations from the first hour to the last. The location is perfectly situated next to a small convenience store and a very short walk to the beach. There is always a nice, little breeze from the beach and the wrap around porch always has some shade (which is very nice in the summertime). The most impressive part of the whole trip was Levon, the owner. He took customer service to a completely different level. One of the nicest, most compassionate and friendliest people I have ever encountered. He was almost always was available to talk, about anything, and he made truly made it feel like a home away from home. His breakfasts were amazingly delicious and he was very accommodating to my dietary restrictions (vegetarian). He never made me feel like I was imposing on his time and he never bothered me at all.

We rented out the whole place for a wedding for fourth of July weekend and Levon did not once complain about us being loud, drunk or obnoxious. One night, around midnight, he even made us oatmeal coconut cookies!

I can probably write a short story just about the great service, but there were other wonderful perks to the Admiral Dewey as well. There are rocking chairs out front where I had my morning coffee which was just pure bliss. The room we stayed in had its own bathroom, was spacious and was overlooking the street and a bit of the ocean. It was always clean, had a vintage look and was well put together. My favorite were the pink curtains! Yes!!

Overall, the best experience possible. It was my first trip to Rhode Island and I can safely say that I would stay here again and again, should I return. I recommend this B&B mostly to the younger and middle age crowd, not so much for the elderly or people with small children. There are no rooms on the first floor, only on the second and third and the stairs are a little steep.

Room Tip: The room next to the restroom is really loud, the door shuts really loudly so stay away from that on...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband and me and another couple stayed at the Inn recently. We hadn't been there since Lev bought the Inn. We were all so very pleased. We couldn't have asked for a more comfortable place, accessible to all attractions around and walking distance to the Matunuck Beach! Thanks to Lev for his hospitality and amazing breakfasts! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 July 2014

The Dewey was the perfect fit for our wedding party. Our group stayed in the B&B for 5 days, and by the end of it....we didn't want to leave. The house is still in great shape, the rooms look amazing, and you can't ask for a better host than Levon. Honestly, one of the nicest and fun to talk to people you will ever meet. He's always there to make sure you're comfortable, and share funny stories. It also helps that he's incredible at baking.....everything. The breakfast setup in the morning is perfect before you walk the 5 minutes down the street to the beach. Yes, it's a 5 minute walk to the beach. There are a few bars and restaurants right down the road....but many amazing choices that are just a short driving distance away.

If you're traveling to the area, it should not even be a question....STAY AT THE DEWEY.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nick H
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I had never stayed at a Bed & Breakfast so I didn't know what to expect, and so I may not be the best person to write a review, but I enjoyed my stay at the Admiral Dewey Inn so much that I have to post something.

First of all, the innkeeper, Levon, is a friendly guy. He was genuinely concerned about the comfort of me, my wife and my 14-year-old daughter. He moved us twice throughout our six-night stay. The first move was expected and agreed upon due to my late reservation. The second was so that we could have more room. He didn't have to upgrade us, but he did without being asked. And the four-bed loft into which he moved us was an absolute joy.

Actually, any room at this Inn is comfortable with that breeze blowing off the ocean from a block away. I don't know that I've ever had such restful sleep. We spent the days running around with soccer and sightseeing, and then we genuinely looked forward to getting back to the Inn. The air, as they say, was rare. No humidity. No bugs. Just sweet sunshine and steady breezes. In fact my 45-year-old wife skipped the final day of sightseeing so that she could spend the day at the beach across the street and then sit on a rocker on the porch. She was truly relaxed, and all men know that when mama's happy, the world's happy. In fact, three days back home in Pittsburgh and my world's still happy.

As for the breakfast part of it, Levon called it a continental breakfast plus one of his dishes as the centerpiece. And on weekends he had several centerpieces. It was all delicious. Coffee was always available, as were late-night snacks in the fridge. And the banter around the breakfast table was always light and relaxed. Everyone seemed to be in a good mood here. The vibe was so chill and comfortable.

No one watched much TV, and I think that was part of the getaway for everyone, but the three of us did have an enjoyable time in the den watching a replay of the USA-Belgium soccer game after we got home late one night. The word I'll remember from that night was cozy.

The other half of my appreciation here is a matter of geography. The beach across the street was populated enough for great people-watching, but it was far from a tourist destination. While parking was a problem for others, we of course had our space at the large Inn driveway and could walk back and forth. There was a deli next store for cheap and healthy choices and there was a great ice cream shop on the road just off the beach trail. Two ramshackle bars a couple blocks away were said to serve great food, but we never tried them (although crabcakes benedict may have been a missed opportunity).

But I think my point about the lack of crowds is that this is an underrated gem of a getaway spot. We could drive easily from beach to beach in Rhode Island (since we had soccer teammates scattered throughout), and really from site to site on wide open and well-conditioned roads. I actually hesitated to rave about this place because I want it to remain an underrated and hidden gem, but I doubt my little review here will hold that much sway. I just can't help but pass this tip along to any alert readers out there.

Hopefully, when I return to Matunuk Beach and the Admiral Dewey, all of the hard work Levon's put into his place since buying it two years ago will have paid off for him, because he deserves it. He's the kind of guy you root for. But I also hope it remains as quaint as it was on this late June-early July visit.

Room Tip: If you are bringing children, the loft is perfect. As long as you're in good enough shape to cli...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This is one of those locations I do not like to review because I fear that if I let the secret out, the area could lose the charm which makes it so wonderful.

The Admiral Dewey and is within walking distance of the beach at Matunuk. The beach has a beautifully maintained snack area with outdoor showers and plenty of parking close to the beach as well as handicapped access. This is a Narragansett Bay Beach so the water always tends to be warmer than the Boston beaches. when it is in the 90s and humid in Boston, it is usually in the 70s here because the hot S/SW winds come off the water. It reminds me of how the cape used to be 30 years ago. The Admiral Dewey is a well-maintained Colonial. The innkeeper, is really nice guy. Keep your expectations low for the continental breakfast. The Ocean Mist bar and grill is one of the best kept secrets for people who like good music. On a foggy Tuesday night in mid June, at about11:45, there were about 80 people lined up to get in. This is also a great place to take kids of any ages as well ax young adults. Enjoy please.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TheWeen63
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Our host, Lev, at the Admiral Dewey opened his lovely old home to families of both the bride and groom. Over the breakfast table we all got to know each other and shared our joy at the wedding of our loved ones. We left feeling like we are part of the close knit sea side community. We will be back!

Room Tip: Room 5 was a pink Victorian delight.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I was there the Memorial day weekend for my cousins sons wedding at the Theater by the Sea.
The service that we received was phenomenal & a great place to stay.
We want to look in to stopping by again and staying longer.

• Stayed: May 2014
#4 of 8 in Narragansett
The Anchor Motel
The Anchor Motel
#2 of 8 in Narragansett

Been to Admiral Dewey Inn? Share your experiences!