“a lifetime adventure ”
Review of The Kings' Rose

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Kingstown
The Kings' Rose
Ft wayne
“a lifetime adventure ”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

as a recent visitor to the kings rose inn i was nervous to stay there because it was spooky at first. the house is creepy and old but the antiques were beautiful! i personally thought the house was haunted we turned out to have a great time. in the morning the breakfast was wonderful i recommend the pancakes. although the cream was a little curdled the coffee was good. the house is beautiful but i wouldnt stay there alone.

Stayed August 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
New Windsor, New York
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We were attending my daughter's soccer tournament Seaside Classics at URI. Inn is only 1 mile away from the fields, perfect location. The positive is this accepts dogs at no extra charge & includes breakfast made to order. A drawback for kids - no pool.

We didn't get off on the right foot as we arrived at 1030pm Friday nite coming up from NY with Barbara the owner having to wait up for us (she gets up at 5am every day so this is kinda late). But found out in the morning another couple came in at 11pm.

So, we needed to be quiet as other guests were already tucked in. But as I was carrying our pup's crate up I banged into the 2nd floor book stand. Then as we entered the staircase to the 3rd floor the door slammed.

Needless to say we gave off bad 1st impressions. Barbara was not smiling!

We were placed in room # 7 the largest with 2 double beds & private bath - well appointed, nice treatments & touches. Very comfortable for me but it was my family's 1st time in a B&B so they were less receptive (espec. my daughter!). Small a/c unit took an hour to cool off during this heat wave. But I think we all slept well afterwards.

Next morning we had to leave by 750am to get to the fields. Breakfast starts by 7am but she was running late & being a 1 person operation took close to 30 min. for myself & my 2 kids (wife skipped to get ready to go). Breakfast choices were satisfactory, she makes great pancakes & pretty good french toast. Sunny D for o.j. kids like, not my preference...

Had nice conversation including her life's history, how she ended up in Vermont, her kids started a B&B to help pay their way thru school, while she worked as a trauma nurse, how she met her hubby, how they moved to R.I. & how they converted the house into a B&B. She does make you feel at home.

A couple of minor negatives - the milk was curdling along with the fruit being a bit sour (I ate it but my kids tried to). She needs to stay on top of her food stores so that she serves fresh stuff & throw out foods that spoil.

Also pet owners who allow their pets to roam off leash freely need to be conscientious & respectful of Barbara's house to pick up after their pooch's droppings! I go for breakfast & almost stepped in it, Bar comes out picks it up bare handed no prob. Then she goes to make my breakfast - hope she washed her hand thoroughly! (2nd morn. I go solo kids/wife stay upstairs).

We didn't leave pup in the crate since when we started to leave, Tsumi started to bark & howl & we couldn't leave her to disturb other guests. But it was a nasty hot weekend to have a dog out all day.

Grounds are well kept when walking our pup. I walked up the road & let mine take care of biz at the entrance to the large field next door. Barbara warned that R.I. is heavy tick country (she gave a me an informative dissertation) & wouldn't let her dogs run in the fields - so heeded her advice staying clear of as much green as possible.

We only stayed the minimum time there since soccer took most of our day. We did get chance to go to Newport with pup dragging/pulling us around - it was so hot we were all melting, grouchy family! Ate at Diego's which was pet friendly, they gave Tsumi a large iced bowl of water!

Bottom line, this is a very nice alternative to hotels if you don't need all the amenities of one. A Hollywood fellow stayed there all week while his 11 yr.old daughter went to film school at URI & found it peaceful & unpretentious. Nice conversations at the breakfast table.

Price for sure is very reasonable compared to hotels nearby & very clean well kept. Worth trying! I would come back again but not sure my family would.

Room Tip: Room #7 is the largest with 2 double beds & large private bath - it's the furthest from rest...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sushiray
Portsmouth, NH
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I found Barbara to be an endearing person - with some (harmless) quirks, as one reviewer wrote. She warmly greeted both my dog and me every time we crossed paths with her. She sometimes is difficult to find at breakfast time but once you find her (try calling the inn if knocking on her door doesn't work), she serves a well-made meal and often visits with her guests.

I found the accommodations to be interesting and comfortable and the grounds, though a bit overgrown, were a pleasant place to relax.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank boaterB
Hunlock Creek, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 May 2013

My wife and I visit relatives here in South Kingstown at least three times a year and always favor Kings Rose B&B. Barbara is the most gracious host. The home is beautiful and very ornate, lots of history and well kept. Breakfast is great and her two canine companions Issabelle and Phebe are very friendly and playful adding more warmth and love to this great home. Certainly wins over a hotel in my opinion and Barbara is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to local history and a great conversationalist. Andy & Judy Parnell

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Plumbaround57
New Jersey
Reviewed 5 February 2013 via mobile

I'm still trying to figure out how that 1 negative review could have possibly happenEd. the owner and proprietor is a lovely and wonderful woman. my stay with short but it was excellent. the house is charming and classy just like its owner. breakfast was excellent and as bed and breakfast go, I have nothing but positive things to say!! safe to say I will certainly be back when I visit my son at URI

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Hockeylover59
Reviewed 26 September 2012 via mobile

Ill start by saying i never write negative reviews for anything. for the most part, i give people the benefit of the doubt. but this situation was special. I was booking two nights at their top room for my fiancé and I the night of my wedding in Warwick, ri. Obviously weddings are a lot of planning. I was trying to determine the logistics of gaining entrance into their home after our reception at probably midnight or even later. The woman on the phone sounded very stuck up and snooty as it was, but at the end of our conversation, when she thought she had hung up the phone, she let her true feelings show.

"Does he expect me to stay on the phone with him for 3 or 4 hours" she remarked to a coworker I assume.

I immediately called back to cancel the reservation I had just made. I let her know that I had over heard her remarks and that it was unacceptable behaivor. I also let her know that I would be writing this review.

The purpose of this review is simple. I want people to get a bit of insight into how these folks see view their house guests. I was nothing mor than a nagging customer on the phone with her... I would hate to see her reaction if you we're staying there and needed an extra towel or new sheets.

There are plenty of places out there. Stay away from this place as customer service is obviously not viewed as important.

Stayed September 2012
9 Thank Chris C
Winters, California
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Stayed here for five days for a reunion.....and had an excellent time. Barbara (even with her quirks) was friendly, outgoing, and gave an excellent breakfast. The house is wonderful and quiet and her dogs are cute and nice. I would recommend this B & B for everyone.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
The Break
The Break
#1 of 8 in Narragansett
TownePlace Suites Providence North Kingstown

Been to The Kings' Rose? Share your experiences!