“Just an "OK" Stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wakefield
Sugar Loaf Hill B&B
Ranked #1 of 5 Wakefield B&B and Inns
Boxborough, Massachusetts
“Just an "OK" Stay”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Rooms could use some renovations (stained rugs, paint needs to be refreshed). Used bars of soap left out from last guests. Some lights not working."Cash only policy" made things a bit more challenging (CC and checks welcome) Lovely breakfast in the morning by friendly inn keepers.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Cumberland, Rhode Island
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My husband and I stayed overnight here since I was attending a workshop at All That Matters nearby in town. This B & B is conveniently located less than ten minutes by foot to the local restaurants & shops. The innkeepers were friendly & accommodating & made us feel welcome. I was a little put out by the fact that the innkeeper charged more than the published online rate but did not want to quibble with her after she said that the website had not been updated yet when I pointed this out to her. The difference was only $9 but I do think the law requires businesses to honor published prices.
While I was thankful that they allowed me to check in early, I was not comfortable with the fact that the room to the door did not lock from the outside so I had to leave my things in an unlocked room. The room itself was simple but nice. I was very much looking forward to using the room's bathtub & had even brought special bath salts with me. Unfortunately, the tub had not been cleaned & there were someone else's hair & pink soap residue on the floor of the tub. The innkeeper was quick to clean this when I brought this to her attention & stated that the cleaning lady must have sprayed cleaning solution & forgotten to return to clean the bathroom. At that point, I had lost interest in taking a bath & had to get dressed to make my dinner reservation. This was a big disappointment & really put a damper on my experience there. The room was pretty basic & no frills (the "yellow room") but seemed clean aside from the tub. My husband & I did enjoy the electric fireplace.
The walls were a bit thin but we managed to sleep okay in the big comfy king-sized bed. We enjoyed a lovely breakfast in the morning before our departure. The innkeepers were very nice as I previously mentioned. I feel badly pointing out flaws in the experience because they were so nice, but have to be honest in the review. We would consider returning there in the future but it would not be our first choice.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank carolgb328
Westport, Connecticut
Reviewed 2 January 2014

My girlfriend and I recently had a great weekend stay at this charming bed and breakfast in Wakefield, Rhode Island. The owners, Stephanie and Dave, were very friendly and loved interacting with their guests. They served a delicious breakfast, and made us feel very welcome. We'd stay there again and highly recommend the Sugar Loaf Inn.

Room Tip: All the guest rooms looked nice, especially the suite at the rear of the house.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BrooksCT
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 6 February 2013

My daughter & I stayed in this cozy bed and breakfast last weekend. Stephanie & Dave were wonderful hosts. There if you needed them, but not hovering. The breakfast every day was amazing. I highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Mary M
brooklyn, ny
Reviewed 9 August 2012

My Mom and Aunt just stayed here the last 2 days and it was amazing! The house is adorable....in fact I wanted to stay with with them instead of my own house. Stephanie is an amazing inn keeper. So gracious. My Mom and Aunt wanted to meet me for breakfast before they hit the road and told her they didn't need breakfast, she made them delicious hot homemade scones anyway for the road. I can not recommend this place enough!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank jennyooooo
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Situated off Main St, just outside of town, this is a very nice place to spend a long weekend. We found it to be clean and comfortable, quiet enough, nicely situated and thought that the proprietors were very friendly and forthcoming. I'm nitpicking a bit but it would have been nice to have a private bathroom (we had two rooms, so that wasn't much of an issue), and although we didn't spend much time inside the room it would have been nice to have a TV. All in all a pleasant experience and we wouldn't hesitate to come back.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank iberjan
New York
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Sugar Loaf Hill Inn is right on the outside of the town of Wakefield, on the main street but in a secluded spot. The house is very welcoming and cozy, the rooms charming, and Stephanie and her husband so helpful with everything - our was a last minute trip but they were prepared for our arrival despite the short notice and very accommodating. Stephanie's suggestions about the area were great, we just wish we had more time to visit all the places she recommended. And her breakfast was abundant and absolutely delicious! We'll definitely come back when we are in the area, thank you very much for a wonderful stay!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank emivaltc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wakefield
Hampton Inn South Kingstown - Newport Area
The Break
The Break
#1 of 8 in Narragansett
Eden Manor Bed and Breakfast

Been to Sugar Loaf Hill B&B? Share your experiences!