“Pros outweighed cons”

Ranked #3 of 5 Wakefield B&B and Inns
connecticut
“Pros outweighed cons”
Reviewed 4 January 2010

Pros: Rooms were nice and spacious. Buffet breakfast was very good with many offerings and plenty to eat; not your typical "continental" breakfast.
Cons: The website advertises "rooms with fireplace", but only when you get there do you find out that you're not allowed to use them. That was our biggest gripe. Very misleading. Also, we had to ask for ice both nights we were there, as well as having to ask for clean washcloths. In other words, there was no chambermaid service; garbage cans were not emptied.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank mdeluco

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Columbia, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 September 2009

What a delight. Of all of the B&B's worldwide over a number of years, this was my best experience.

The owners and their family were very friendly and helpful.

This is a beautifully restored Manor. Each room is a work of art.

The 4 breakfasts I had were wonderful. The grounds were so peaceful and beautiful that I didn't leave for almost 2 days of my 4 day stay. Even then I thought about not going to the festival I came to RI to see and just staying put at the Manor.

Overall a wonderful very well priced experience. I will return.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jazznbluesnu
Westport, CT
Reviewed 19 August 2009

I've stayed at Eden Manor on a number of occasions over the past five years with my husband and teenage son and we keep going back because--aside from bedrooms and bathrooms that are as neat as a pin, and a great breakfast to set you up for the day...it has truly become like a home away from home. That's because the owners, Bernadette and Lloyd Eden, and their courteous children, create a very relaxed and welcoming environment. and do everything they can to make each and every stay as enjoyable as the one before. We will surely be going back for more Eden hospitality in the near future.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank CTAine
Rhode Island
Reviewed 15 August 2009

My husband and I had a wonderful experience at Eden Manor this weekend. The rooms are clean and elegant, the location is great, but the best part about this place is the family who runs it. The rates are extraordinarily reasonable for what you get. It's also pet friendly, which is hard to find. This is a beautiful Inn but there is a feeling of warmth and comfortability here that many of it's kind are lacking. We will be back for sure! I took photos, feel free to check them out at www.handsfullofwater.blogspot.com

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DobbsRI
NY
Reviewed 15 August 2009

My partner and I stayed here a few weeks back and found Eden Manor to be below average. A bit overpriced for the value you receive; small rooms, skimpy breakfast without much selection and not very warm hosts as they are hard to find if there are any asks you have while staying in their home.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David205
New York
Reviewed 14 August 2009

This is my first review, but my husband and I have stayed here several times. We are well-acquainted with all the rooms, so if one can reserve early, Lloyd and Bernadette, our hosts, always try to accommodate us with our preferences. Although all of the rooms are clean, well-appointed and pretty, we often ask for the Queen bed and large ceiling fan. The Inn is very big, but one feels at home immediately. The quests that we have met at the Inn are always friendly and interesting. Breakfast is included and their special french toast and quiche is delicious. Attractions such as Newport and the casinos are close by, but we often opt for the beach and biking trails. We bring our little 10 Lb Yorkie, and he has as good a time as we. The Innkeepers do everything they can can to make the stay enjoyable. They arranged a sailing trip for us as well as pet sitting. What more can one ask for? Best of all, we attended the Newport Folk Festival and saw Arlo Guthrie, Joan Baez, Judy Collins, and Pet Seger. Pete Seger... Long may you live!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank randisalle
CT
Reviewed 26 July 2009

My family and parents went here, we booked 3 rooms. We gave my parents the biggest room which was not so bad. The room my wife and I had included 2 separate rooms for the bathroom. One for the shower, which was tiny, and the other room for the toilet and sink which was very small and had no room for toiletries. The third room on the first floor, had a decent bathroom, but had a lot of bugs in it. It is right next to the bathroom, not sure if that was why. We wanted 2 pillows for my daughter (my 3 kids were sleeping in this room) and the roll away bed did not have any pillows. The first night we were there we rand the intercom button around 9pm twice and never got a response. So we gave her pillows from my room.

Breakfast both days was horrible, there was no selection and even worse it was not a very warm and welcoming place. We ended up going out for breakfast both mornings, very disappointed in the quality of breakfast and selections (there were no choices).

This is the worst B&B i have ever stayed in, and cannot recommend it. Lloyd is not a warm and gracious person and he does not make you feel welcomed into Eden Manor. The big screen TV was not working in the living room the first night, they brought in a 12 inch TV the next night.

There are no locks on the doors, multiple dogs and cats walking around the place (which belong to the owners), and Lloyd and his family live on the 3rd floor and the 1st night we continually heard one of his kids running up and down the hallway.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank Rich1227
edenmanor, owner at Eden Manor Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 13 August 2009
The review written by the person below just goes to show that there is no pleasing everyone. This grouped booked 3 rooms " last minute" and were informed of the details of each room. They had reserved for themselves, their parents, and two children. Upon arrival with an three teenagers, we went out of our way to make them as comfortable as possible, rearranging the furniture & placing a roll-away bed in one room with a queen bed, even though it was the smallest room of the 3 (the girls choice). They received 6 pillows & extra towels.
The next morning I don't think they even checked out the breakfast we presented which included a baked egg dish, a vegetarian quiche, assorted yogurts, hard boiled eggs, cereal, fresh fruit salad, a homemade dessert bread, and assorted breads.
They just walked out and said nothing.
The next morning was the same.
When they checked out and were informed that there would be an additional charge for the third teen, the husband barked that they had not even eaten breakfast and protested the charge (had they informed us that they would not be joining us for breakfast or would like another type of dish we would not have prepared quite as much food which ended up going to waste).
By the way, the three teens ended up with 9 pillows and had trashed the room, throwing garbage on the floors, wiping their makeup off on and ruining the towels.
Please take the time to read previous reviews from reasonable, non-spoiled sour travelers.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wakefield
Hampton Inn South Kingstown - Newport Area
#7 of 8 in Narragansett
Sheppard's Place
Sheppard's Place
#3 of 10 in Narragansett

Been to Eden Manor Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!