Eden Manor Bed and Breakfast
Hampton Inn South Kingstown - Newport Area(South Kingstown)(Great Value!)
US$178
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewseden manorb byogurtquicherhode islandother guestsvictorianhostsporchnewportkeeperweddingscreenedbeauty
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 July 2010

Pros: I definitely think that the owners are very nice and that the house and grounds are gorgeous. I also have absolutely no complaints about the breakfasts, unlike other reviewers.

Cons: The free wi-fi is spotty and unreliable. I purposely booked a place with wi-fi due to being enrolled in an online course, and was a bit disappointed at how difficult it was to get online. My main complaint, however, is the lack of air-conditioning. Had I known there would not be air conditioning, I would definitely have not chosen Eden Manor for a July vacation. I found it practically impossible to sleep due to the heat. I feel guilty for complaining about it, but I wish this information would have been disclosed on the website. I would recommend Eden Manor for a Winter stay in a heartbeat, but definitely not for July or August.

As other reviewers have mentioned, there are no room keys, and there are many dogs and cats roaming around. While all of my party love dogs and cats and didn't mind this, it is probably something that should be mentioned on their website in case people have allergies. Also, as others have mentioned, no one was around when we got here to check in and we finally had to use our cell to call on the phone and get someone's attention. I think it would be good to have a receptionist.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank PersephoneC
Reviewed 4 July 2010

Just got back from our annual wedding anniversary stay at Eden (OK, this was only our 2nd but both at Eden).
It started off with a call the night before saying they did not have our reservation. Lloyd did find it and they were very professional and apologetic about the situation. These thing happen even in the best 5 star hotels, I know. It was taken care of perfectly.
Eden is a beautiful 1800s Victorian house with wonderful grounds. It is perfect for us as we are pet friendly travelers and take our dogs everywhere. Most places are pet "accommodating" but Eden is truly pet "friendly". You will probably be met by Buddy who is a kind gentle 10 year old German short hair. Rex is usually wandering around as he is the wee runt of the pack and Peanut is a feisty little guy out back. Our dogs love it here as we do.
The rooms are quiet and quaint. We get room D with a private bath on the first floor and it is perfect. Charming and relaxing.
Eden is truly a family run B&B. Lloyd and Bernadette's children can be found helping out with breakfast, tidying up rooms, and welcoming guests. Very very impressive and great polite kids. I have read reviews that say "we couldn't find anyone" or things like that. While we were there we saw people coming to check in from noon up until 2am. The family does their very best to meet and greet and care for your needs but part of that is running errands and such.
Breakfast is always pleasant and we were looking forward to the fluffy chocolate chip pancakes. We were not disappointed. Breakfast is not made to order but it is a nice fare to get you going for the day.
To boil it down Eden is perfect. Start with a nice breakfast, hit the Naragansett beaches all day long or a day trip to Newport, and come back to a relaxing evening at Eden by the fire pit or pass out in the hammocks.
To top it off, for our 2nd anniversary we were treated to a complimentary bottle of champagne by our wonderful hosts.
We'll be back next year no doubt!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank louisj23
Reviewed 19 February 2010

Beautiful B&B! My family and I have stayed here many times before to enjoy the nearby RI shore-location is excellent!-This time we stayed at Eden Manor as a stop during college visits-very convenient locale to Mass, NJ and more. The owners, Bernadette and Lloyd, and their courteous children go out of their way to make us comfortable; their warmth and hospitality are unmatchable-Buffet breakfast has many offerings-not your typical continential breakfast-The grounds are peaceful; The Inn is spacious and beautifully restored-each room is a piece of art-But you still feel at home and comfortable. In addition the inn is pet friendly-as i said What else could anyone ask for? We will return to Eden Manor and soon for sure.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank acj44
Reviewed 4 January 2010

Pros: Rooms were nice and spacious. Buffet breakfast was very good with many offerings and plenty to eat; not your typical "continental" breakfast.
Cons: The website advertises "rooms with fireplace", but only when you get there do you find out that you're not allowed to use them. That was our biggest gripe. Very misleading. Also, we had to ask for ice both nights we were there, as well as having to ask for clean washcloths. In other words, there was no chambermaid service; garbage cans were not emptied.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank mdeluco
Reviewed 8 September 2009

What a delight. Of all of the B&B's worldwide over a number of years, this was my best experience.

The owners and their family were very friendly and helpful.

This is a beautifully restored Manor. Each room is a work of art.

The 4 breakfasts I had were wonderful. The grounds were so peaceful and beautiful that I didn't leave for almost 2 days of my 4 day stay. Even then I thought about not going to the festival I came to RI to see and just staying put at the Manor.

Overall a wonderful very well priced experience. I will return.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple