“Disappointing Stay”

Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Warwick
Scottsdale, AZ
“Disappointing Stay”
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Arrived Thursday June 13 for wedding/family reunion. Hotel was recommended by relatives who prefer Hilton Hotels - had stayed there when it first opened 10 years ago. I am sure it was nice then. This is an extended stay hotel that includes the requisite self serve breakfast (scrambled eggs, sausage patties, do-it-yourself waffles, etc. Light dinner served toward evening; cocktail hour, etc.l

Pool and spa closed for renovation - which was NOT mentioned when I made the reservation nor was it mentioned when I called prior to our stay to reconfirm the reservation. My family swims a lot and we were looking forward to using the pool and spa. The lobby and downstairs area smelled like epoxy the entire time. This was especially bothersome at breakfast.

Front Desk Gal checked us in and informed us, and the rest of the people in the Lobby, our debit card was declined. Ran the card a second time...ditto. I move to a table in the restaurant area to call the bank. They inform me the transaction was successful the first time and showing on their system. Front Desk Gal insists both transactions are not going through but they would allow us to check in anyway.

Upon checking our bank account online once settled in the room...TWO hotel transactions are now posting instead of one. On our way out for the evening, we visit the Front Desk - they will correct during the Night Audit (which they did).

Curtains had ink pen marks on them, like a kid drew on the curtains. Curtain sheers had tears in them. Chairs had lots of stain marks. The bed was very uncomfortable to sleep on; tossed and turned all night. Hallway stunk. Really smelled terrible - very stale air.

Breakfast staff were terrific and thoughtful. Best part of the hotel staff.

This hotel is in an industrial park area which is typical, however, hard to find at first and not well marked. Close by to our family gatherings so it ended up a convenient location. for this trip.

Would not stay here again. Other family members moved to another hotel after spending one night here. The aggravation we encountered is not what you want to be dealing with after a cross country trip and a very busy visit with family.

Room Tip: If you stay here, I advise you call ahead and ask questions so you have a idea of what you are going...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
HWSWarwick, General Manager at Homewood Suites Providence-Warwick, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay. Hilton has a 100% satisfaction guarantee but usually we like to have a chance to make a guest completely satisfied before they leave the hotel instead of just a refund which is not personalized at all and the problem was never resolved to the guest's satisfaction.
When I travel to an amusement park I am sometimes disappointed when a ride I really like is closed, but I realize that it may be better that the ride receives the attention it needs if it keeps people safe. Once we make the commitment to perform service on our pool we are at the hands of the contractors as to when the pool will reopen. The first coat of epoxy paint was applied after breakfast on a Friday and there was no odor the next day as the room was sealed before we applied a second coat. We had a few families change reservations to other hotels because our pool was closed and we completely understand. We would assist with those reservations where possible and hope they would try us again in the future when everything is restored and working well.
We are used to different problems with credit cards that guests present to us. We do not know why they do not authorize and we do not have the ability to over-ride a non authorizing credit card. We also do not have a separate room for guests to discuss the problem with. I am confident our "front desk gal" did not raise her voice to bring the issue to light in the lobby.
Thank you for stayiing with us and writing your review. I hope you will change your mind and give us a try again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Morgantown, PA, United States
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Stayed at this hotel during a family weekend trip up to Rhode Island. The room (we had the Studio) was very comfortable, well furnished, with good quality furnishings, bedding and sofa. The room and the suite overall was extremely clean. Even though 3 of us stayed in the same room, it was sufficiently roomy that we each had our own space. Wireless Internet connectivity was also fast. We were very impressed by the service we received from the staff especially during breakfast. It was busy with many families / vacationers but they made sure there was plenty of food and brought extra tables and chairs to ensure everyone was comfortable. My daughter & I loved the fresh baked chocolate croissants and pastries that they brought table side! The pool was being renovated when we were there but we did use the exercise room and it was well equipped and maintained. Overall it was an excellent stay. The excellent service and cleanliness certainly left a positive impression on us.We would certainly recommend this hotel to others in the future.

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Thank you for staying with us and writing such a great review! The pool is being filled as I write this message. We appreciate everyone's patience during our repair. It will be well worth it.
I highly recommend everyone try our freshly baked muffins and filled croissants! They are delicious!
Thanks again!
Dayton, United States
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Hotel condition and amenities were very good. Pool was under repair at the time of stay but was not needed by this guest. Room, breakfast, and overall stay was quite acceptable. Nice place and great access to major roads. Only minor issue, a little tricky to find, but GPS took me right to the front door.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

HWSWarwick, General Manager at Homewood Suites Providence-Warwick, responded to this review, 15 June 2013
We have been trying to find a GPS voice that sounds more like a Rhode Islander but we haven't found one that doesn't use the letter "R"!
I am happy to report the pool will be operational by 6/21/13. We had to resurface the pool and seal it and the result is fantastic! We appreciate the patience of all our guests while we complete this improvement! The results are well worth the effort!
Thank you for staying with us and we hope you will come and see our upgrades soon!
randolph
Reviewed 12 June 2013

This hotel was centrally located between Providence and Newport. We used this as our base to go to various locations nearby. It had a great breakfast and dinner social hour. Staff is very helpful. We would definitely stay here again if in the area.

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Quietly close to everything! Providence- 10 min, Newport- 35 min, Wickford- 15 min, East Greenwich- 10 min, Boston- 1 hour, New York- 3 hours and we are close to the train station and T.F. Green Airport!
Thanks for staying with us and writing a review! We hope to have you back soon!
East Lyme, United States
Reviewed 11 June 2013

The rate was great for the amenities that is offered by this hotel. Hotel staff were all accomadating and professional. Hotel suite was perfect, breakfast was yummy. Overall a great experience....couldn't ask for more! P.S. a little out the way but well worth it...everything is close by.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Instead of a little out of the way, I have come to think of it as quietly close to everything. Our location is central to Rhode Island and very close to the T.F. Green Airport without the airport noise.
Thank you for staying with us! I hope you will be back soon!
Glen Allen Virginia, United States
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I was in the area with family and really appreciated the level of service that Homewood Suites of Warwick RI offered. The staff were really friendly and made us feel right at home and the location was exceptional also. When in this area again it would not even be second thought as to where me and my family will be staying. Five Stars to Homewood Suites of RI and to all of its staff. GREAT JOB

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Thank you for staying with us and writing a great review! We look forward to your return trip back to our family!
Castleton On Hudson, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2013

What an UNNECESSARILY DISAPPOINTING experience we had over Memorial Day weekend after having stayed at the Homewood Suites in Warwick, RI for over 4 years whenever a visit to Brown University in Providence called for more than one bedroom/bathroom and kitchen facility.

First, let me say that, as usual, everything was very clean and nicely appointed - both bedrooms, baths and kitchen/living room area. Our interactions with the support staff were great - they are nice, friendly people who are genuinely happy to help you.

We did, however, have an issue with the air conditioning which could not be corrected by the maintenance staff because it is a structural issue; the HVAC system in the 2 bedroom suites located anywhere but on the ground floor (according to staff) was poorly designed, resulting in only one bedroom and the living room/kitchen area receiving A/C or heat. So if you select this hotel and don't want to have to decide who will be comfortable in their bedroom/bath, REQUEST THE GROUND FLOOR.

THE VERY DISAPPOINTING PART OF THE STAY was that upon returning from a very special, once in a lifetime dinner celebrating my daughter's graduation from Brown University, my sister and I were stopped in the lobby the 2nd evening with the question "what room are you in?" and informed that my credit card had been denied. Rather than re-running it as I requested, knowing that it was obviously an error since it had been working properly everywhere else I had been using it, they requested I provide another card! Which was provided - and then they told us we had to wait for new room key cards to be made because they had rendered the ones we had useless! REALLY?!?!?? LOCKED OUT OF THE SUITE?!?!?! So much for having been a loyal guest and a Hilton HHonors member since 2007... Handled SO POORLY and it was like having ice water thrown over our celebratory glow. Actually, it WAS ice water thrown over our celebratory glow. I love Rhode Island and will be returning, as will my daughter each year for the alumnae reunion, but will never stay at Homewood Suites in Warwick again.

Room Tip: GROUND FLOOR if you want more than 1 room in the 2 bedroom suite to have heat or A/C!
Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
HWSWarwick, General Manager at Homewood Suites Providence-Warwick, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Congratulations on your daughter’s graduation from Brown which is an amazing accomplishment! Thank you also for being a loyal Hhonors member!
I am very sorry that you reported a less than favorable experience while staying with us over Memorial Day weekend. Memorial Day weekend is the busiest weekend of the year at our hotel. Almost all of the guests staying with us during that weekend are graduation related as Rhode Island has 9 universities and colleges graduating over three weekends from May to June.
There is really no good way to tell a guest we were unable to obtain authorization on a credit card. Some of our guests had difficulty because they were out of state and frequently using their card in the area and when we authorize a larger amount, the bank stopped the transaction to ask the cardholder about fraudulent activity before approving. We don't know the reason why we were unable to obtain authorization, but we need to have a security on the room whether from an authorized credit card or a cash payment for the stay. Since many of our guests including our Hilton Honors members tend to leave the hotel without checking out, we like to have everything in order before the day of departure. Kudos to our staff for knowing to look for you!
I apologize for the A/C in your two bedroom suite as well. There is one HVAC unit for the room and there is one controller for both bedrooms and living room. We do have ceiling fans in all our bedrooms, but different people like different temperatures and one unit currently is not able to provide different temperatures.
Congratulations again and thank you for staying with us for over 4 years. I am sorry if there was one bad experience that will not allow you to come back to our hotel but if you change your mind please feel free to contact me to make your reservation.