“Unexpected event”

Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Warwick
Cromwell, Connecticut
“Unexpected event”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We stayed Saturday Jul 6, 2013. Checked in about 5-6pm. Room seemed fine. Then we noticed the huge tent just outside the room. Yep - big wedding event. Within 30 minutes, we heard the music start. We asked for another room and they were very apologetic and put us in an upgraded room on the other side of the hotel. This room was very spacious but had a few quirks. The a/c was one of those wall/floor units and noisy. The curtain track was several inches from the window and allowed too much light in. The bathroom counter was very long, but the coffee maker was positioned in the middle with no electrical outlet near it. We had to reposition it by one of the sinks where an outlet was within reach and get the towels out of the way which were now between the coffee maker and electrical outlet. The overhead recessed bathroom lights, while pretty, were poorly positioned. Standing at the edge of the sink, they were almost directly overhead (instead of at the top of the mirror), which means they did a great job of lighting your forehead, but your face from eyebrows down was in a shadow. Even though the room was large and the bathroom vanity area was large, the designer left very little space for the bathtub/toilet room - it was a bit of a squeeze with the door passing very close to the toilet. I was not able to locate either a fridge, microwave, or safe just in case that's important.

The hallways were very hot. I did notice that hot air was pouring out of an outlet in the hall so I assumed that that usually was used for cooling that area and something wasn't working. The a/c in the room cooled well. I forgot to ask about this temperature thing in the hall when we checked out. We were going to go to the pool, but found it to be smaller than expected and crowded so we forgot about it. The promotional picture makes it look huge - it isn't. Breakfast is not included - you can do a buffet or order. We ordered and the food was very good - service was ok. This wasn't a cheap place - price above average. The features and services didn't seem to meet the price. But as you can see, I wasn't too crazy about the room anyway at any price.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Providence-Warwick Airport, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Dear CONNvacationers,

I certainly appreciate you taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns regarding your stay with us. Guest comfort is of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide a clean and comfortable accommodation.

Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and we regret the room you received did not live up to your expectations. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible.

Once gain, thank you for your feedback.

Joel B
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
New York
Reviewed 12 July 2013

This hotel is approximately 2 minutes from the highway making it very convenient toaccess nearby shopping, attractions and eateries. As long as your GPS is working,you will not be limited to much. This hotel is very clean. Friendly, courteous and overall very professional staff. The room I had [246] was very spacious, king bed with a balcony. The powder area features double sinks, plenty of counterspace, hotel toiletries and the shower and toilet is in the adjoining space. The air conditioning unit was a bit noisy, but not enough to interrupt sleep. The balcony was a good size and depending on the weather; a nice place for a glass of wine to watch the sun set or rise. The only issue I found with this hotel is that the pool was very cold. Its an indoor pool which should be heated, and especially in the summer (like when I visited) I'm sure patrons would appreciate a dip in the pool and the room is not equipped with a mini refrigerator. The workout facility had ample machinery and was very sanitary. Coming from the big city, NYC! I greatly appreciated the hospitality of Rhode Island, if your trip allows for some activities I suggest you check out these attractions: La Gondola Landing which provide Venice style gondola rides only 15 minutes away from the hotel in Providence, Rhode Island & The Green Animal Topiary Garden located in Newport, Rhode Island only 40 minutes from the hotel, the estate has a beach just down the road (good for catching a cool breeze on a hot day, collecting seashells and skipping rocks...sorry no sand) but it is picturesque for taking quality photographs.

Room Tip: Room 246 has a balcony
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MissEnchanting
illinois
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Currently staying at this hotel,we have stayed here a number of times, as it's the hotel of choice used by my husband on business, it's ok, there is no air conditioning in the corridors by the rooms
And its 90 degrees,so you need a shower by the time you get to the lifts!!!
We are platinum members due my husband use of this chain so we have upgraded rooms etc,which dispite being of a good size, are not particularly special,and have a very unhygienic carpeted area around the sinks, this should tiled.
Now for the breakfast the staff are pleasant,but the choice is pathetic, you have to beg for condiments i.e peanut butter dont bother to ask for nutella they dont have it.Go to the Hilton garden inn around the corner, they cook you breakfast to order,so it's fresh.and plenty of choices for all tastes

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Providence-Warwick Airport, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Dear ukdoug2,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by the service you received from our hotel. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction.

Krysllin G.
Sutton, Canada
Reviewed 5 July 2013

This was an excellent event venue - the host hotel for The Border Terrier Club of America national specialty. The staff made people and dogs welcome, grounds were spacious and clean. Great banquet and meeting room facilities, finger food served for our intro get together was very nice as well as the buffet dinner.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Beverly F
Ames, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I also stayed here for a conference. The complementary shuttle from the airport was a nice feature, but this hotel is not within walking difference of ANYTHING, so it's otherwise difficult to get around. I didn't eat in the restaurant, so I can't speak to that. Room service refused to bring cutlery to our room unless we ordered food. They wanted to charge $20 per day for use of a microwave, no mini fridge, etc.... Great local restaurants in the area, but seems like this place goes out of their way to prevent saving your own food, which I guess is their way to get you to eat at their restaurant. I paid a special rate for being part of the conference, and it was a nice place, I've just been to a lot better for the same or lower price. This is the only time I've stayed in Rhode Island, though. I didn't think the rooms were that big, as some others have suggested. I stayed in a room with two double beds. The bathroom was very small, but having the sink area outside of the toilet and shower area I guess was nice. The hotel staff was for the most part friendly, but not always apparently competent about the front desk. The hotel was very clean. I was awoken once by housekeeping, which was my fault for not putting the do not disturb sign out, but it was early. Quite early. From then on I just always left the sign out. I can use the same towels for more than one day. The conference rooms and services were nice, but the air conditioning was on WAY too high and it was freezing in the rooms. I'm not sure the catering of our conference breakfast was scant because of the hotel service or the conference organizers, but either way, it wasn't great. I need more than coffee for talks starting at 8 am.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Nicole K
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Providence-Warwick Airport, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Dear Nicole K,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. I am very pleased that you noticed the cleanliness of our hotel. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. To better assist you on your next stay, please do not hesitate to approach the manager on duty.

Karen G.
Groton, New York
Reviewed 14 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed for conference for work. I thought it was expensive for what I received. Room was clean and spacious but nothing special. AC unit was extremely loud. Food was overpriced but was good. Bottom line is there are probably better places to stay that give the same amenities for less money.

• Stayed June 2013
Rome, NY, United States
Reviewed 11 June 2013

This is a very nice hotel. Restaurant is great and the food is awesome. They also have a very nice lounge where you can sit at the bar or comfortable booth. Rooms are nice (they seem a little larger than most). The grounds surrounding the hotel are beautiful, great for a leisurely, relaxing after diner walk.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business