“another home run”
Review of The Ocean House

The Ocean House
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Watch Hill
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Another wellness Day at the Ocean House. This place never ceases to amaze me. The service, the presentations, massage quality...the fitness classes were great, with world class instructors (yoga and core training...well, the core training was because I chose it - I ended up with a personal trainer as the rest of the group opted to relax after the yoga!). I almost don't want to go on about the absolutely great value of these wellness days because it'll be a secret that gets out and as space is limited it will be difficult to get a spot - but a superlative place deserves kudos.
There are so few truly superlative things.

Also, I was informed of the cancellation policy a few times, when I made the reservation for my treatment and also on more than one confirmation call, referencing a previous review in which the reviewer said she did not receive any such knowledge. Service at the property was as ever friendly and omnipresent (in the good way).

We stayed at the Ocean House a couple of years ago and have only been back for brunches and wellness days since. I am looking forward to spending the weekend nights after my wedding there next March, as is my fiancé. Although the actual honeymoon will be abroad, we could think of absolutely no other place to even consider spending Sautrday and Sunday night.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Many thanks for your kind words! We are extremely honored that you and your fiancé have chosen the Ocean House to spend your first nights as newlyweds– we look forward to celebrating with you.

There are newer reviews for The Ocean House

Reviewed 9 November 2013

Just got back home from lunch with a friend at the ocean house bar. What a mistake that was! I ordered a $18 hamburg medium it came to me almost raw. The bartender could not believe how raw it was and ordered me a new one and offered a free drink while I watched my friend eat. I finaly got my burger after my friend was done eating and you cant believe but it was more raw than the first one. I can not believe a five star hotel serving raw hamburger twice to the same customer and no one seems to care. I will never go back!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank lsaponare

I am extremely sorry for your experience and please believe me when I say that we do care. We will look into this and see if there could have been any malfunction with our kitchen grill, as we would never want to serve any food that is unsafe or undesirable to our guests.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

My fiance and I traveled to the Ocean House to celebrate an anniversary. We found the perfect spot! From the moment we walked through the door at the Ocean House we were given the VIP treatment. We received a warm welcome and some yummy treats upon arrival. The staff was gracious, friendly and even knew us by name.
The room was simply amazing! Words cannot describe the magnificent view nor the comfort of the linens and quality of the toiletries. Everything is truly top notch and no single detail is overlooked. As soon as we entered our room we were instantly flooded with a feeling of relaxation and peace.
Our experience continued to be fabulous from there. We dined in Seasons restaurant and decided to try the Chef's tasting. Wow! We had never tried so many different and unique foods and the wine pairing was a perfect compliment. Our every need was attended too and the staff was well educated and very excited to discuss the menu and wines.
The next morning we had a relaxing breakfast in the room which arrived hot and delicious. We were able to enjoy phenomenal muesli and eggs while we watched the waves crash on East Beach.
We ventured down to the spa to enjoy a couple's massage. The staff again was warm, professional and welcoming. The spa is beautiful and tranquil. The massage was fantastic, but my favorite part was the relaxation room where you can lounge around, sip tea and read the paper or magazine overlooking the dunes and water.
Overall the night we spent at the Ocean House was simply top notch. One to remember for sure! It was relaxing, delicious, quiet and peaceful. The attention to detail is exceptional at the Ocean House. The hotel itself is beautiful, the beach setting could not get any more beautiful and the staff is exceptionally gracious. From the moment you step out of your car to the moment you climb back in (with bottles of Ocean House water waiting) you will feel like you are the most important person on the property. We cannot wait to go back!

Room Tip: Any room is a great room!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Martha B
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience – the most rewarding part of what we do is when we get to hear testimonials from happy guests like yourself. We also cannot wait for you to come back, hopefully for your honeymoon!

Reviewed 3 November 2013

We attended a wedding at this hotel and although the hotel itself is beautiful. The service was terrible. We were among the last to be called up to the buffet although other guest had already eaten and the plates were being cleared. When we did finally go up, there was no food so we then had to wait for them to bring more out. Which was cold. After everything I'd heard about this place it was a huge disappointment.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Maria G
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

We are very sorry that your stay with us did not live up to your expectations. Your experience is not what is typical of our five-star standards and we do apologize for this. We pride ourselves on offering exceptional service and will give your feedback to our banquet managers about the service you received during this event. We hope that despite this experience you do visit us again and give us the opportunity to show you the real Ocean House standards.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

We have stayed at Ocean House on five occasions and make a point of visiting at least once per year. The location is breathtaking and the beach in summer months is great, with nice wave activity (we enjoy jumping around in the water), although the sand does get crowded given limited space. The rooms are in excellent condition, which is to be expected of a property that was fully renovated only a few years ago, and it is a very easy (but not short, especially in traffic) from New York on I-95. Our only critique is the restaurant situation, with the maitre'd at Seasons not always placed at the entrance, which can make finding help for a table a bit difficult - not a major complaint, but something that we consistently notice. The bar is really nice and a great destination for a drink before or after dinner.

One of our favorite spots.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

We are very grateful for your continued support and loyalty – there is nothing more rewarding for us than to become part of our guests’ traditions. I do appreciate your feedback in regards to the restaurant and will address the issue. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Loved our night at this state of the art hotel on a pristine ocean near gorgeous homes, coves and sites. The wine tasting, tour and surrounds were wonderful. Lap pool and steam shower are must do activities. Pristine in beauty, ambiance and cleanliness. Certainly will do again but for a longer stay next time. A drop pricey though

Room Tip: Our lowest priced room was perfect
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MITo6

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts – we are so glad you enjoyed your stay and will be coming back for longer visit next time!

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We were looking to book a weekend at the beach with our kids. I had done some research and the Ocean House looked lovely, grand, just the sort of thing we would love. Well, the reservationist was so snide, so condescending, so i-dont-have-time-for-you, that I was so totall turned off. I got off the phone and looked at my husband in such surprise. I couldn't believe that a hotel that charge upwards of $1,000 a night has that kind of attitude. We decided not to go, and wont ever go.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
13  Thank audreymina
Daniel H, President & Managing Director at The Ocean House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

I sincerely apologize for your experience. At the Ocean House, we fully believe our status as a Five-Star, luxury hotel is dependent on the service of our staff. The experience you had is not at all what is typically of our team and we would like to make it right. If you’d like to reach out to Communications@OceanHouseRI.com, we’d be happy to help book your vacation and welcome you to the property so that you can get a proper impression of our staff and hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Watch Hill
#6 of 6 in Misquamicut
Hyatt Place Mystic
Hyatt Place Mystic
#3 of 13 in Mystic

Been to The Ocean House? Share your experiences!