“The View, the Service! ”
Review of The Ocean House

The Ocean House
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Watch Hill
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

The views from the porches are breathtaking. The rocking chairs you could sit in all day if the beach and surf don't start calling your name, which it did for us. After a lunch of Cobb Salad (Lobster Rolls were sold out by 11:45AM) which was a bummer but our waiter was most apologetic. The salad was OK, my friends portion was a lot more than mine even though neither one of us finished them. There are several restaurants and a gift shop as well as a hotel. The grounds are amazing.

We're planning our next visit for dinner.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lynn B
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

I’m so sorry we were out of lobster rolls- it was a very popular day for them! I am looking forward to seeing you back soon and hope you are able to get just what you want.

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I'm literally sat on the porch right now after a long and sunny day on the beach... And despite the very hefty price tag for a room here, they will not serve 'just a drink' at 4.45pm anywhere in their outdoor spaces. The Verandah is 'just for lunch (at 4.45?) ', the terrace out front 'they don't serve there' - the only option for $500 a night is to go inside to the bar and carry your $14 glass of wine back outside yourself. Hmmm... In England we call that poor service.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Rach1310

I do apologize for the miscommunication from our staff- while The Verandah restaurant is only for lunch and dinner service, due to the limited number of tables, you are welcome to take a cocktail and enjoy it anywhere on property, including the rocking chairs on the verandah. I hope the remainder of your stay was enjoyable and that our team was able to show you the true levels of service we strive to deliver.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The Ocean House is a great place to spend a few days (or longer). we enjoyed the room, the beach, the food and the location. Hard to find a better spot anywhere on the East Coast. The resort is upscale and at the high end of the price spectrum, but value is what we are all ultimately in search of and you get solid value here.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words. It sounds like you had a wonderful visit and I am hopeful to see you back soon!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We did not stay at the hotel but had dinner at the restaurant. The facilities are luxurious and the service quality is outstanding. While the location is priced at the highest end of the spectrum, it certainly gives it back. The only reason I didn't rate it higher was the quality of the coffee, even after being sent back and being offered a complimentary cup which was also not good- the machine was to blame.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank OBofNY

I am glad you enjoyed your dining experience! While I realize that people have varying preferences in their coffee, we will be sure to look at the machine to ensure that all is functioning properly.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

First, the good things. The Ocean House is stunning. The beach is the best beach I have seen in New England and the town of Watch Hill is charming. Everyone on the staff is extremely kind and helpful. We had a suite plus an adjoining room to accommodate the five of us. It certainly had almost everything we needed and the view from the deck was simply amazing. We were there over the fourth of July and enjoyed a great beach barbecue/lobster bake and great fireworks. Most of the things that were lacking were minor but here we go: there was a dearth of deck furniture available in our suite. No umbrella, only two loungers and a small table with four chairs. Even though our suite had a separate laundry room with a washer, dryer, ironing board and iron, there was no outlet in this laundry room I could find to plug in the iron. Thus I had to put the ironing board in the hall so I could plug in and touch up something I wanted to wear. Each night, with turndown service, the staff left little items to replace the proverbial chocolate on the pillow. There were five of us staying in three separate bedrooms, yet the staff would leave only two turndown gifts. For the price of that suite I do think a few more items (like a chap stick, hair oil or some great sweet) would not bankrupt the hotel and would have helped us resolve who got what. The dining choices are VERY limited for vegetarians or vegans and when asked if we could order a salad off the menu from another of the restaurants in the hotel we were told "no" and then offered a salad that had watermelon, a personal dislike. No other choices. And, finally, room service was extremely slow. Sometimes an order could take more than an hour to arrive. And sometimes, when calling room service, no one would answer the phone. When delivered, the staff was WONDERFUL which compensated somewhat for the slow service. I was also surprised that the windows in the rooms would not open. Given the great ocean breeze it would have been great to sleep with an open window. Would we go back? Yes, in an heartbeat but hoping some of these issues would not repeat.

Room Tip: Just ask for a room that faces the ocean. Rooms on the other side of the hotel face a fairly busy s...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank bbur970019

We rely on the helpful feedback from guests like yourselves to help us improve upon our service and all of your comments are extremely helpful. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I very much look forward to seeing you back soon.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I took my young son to The Ocean house for 3 nights / 4 days. The staff were excellent!! They were so polite and kind to my son and to me. One morning before the beach restaurant opened, all servers took time to play paddle ball with my son. The Food and Beverage Director was excellent, as well. They rooms were very clean and beautiful. The food was always very good. The music in the lobby each night was amazing and I just couldn't say more how glad I am that I choose to visit The Ocean House. I will be back again next summer, and possibly before then!

Room Tip: All the rooms are very nice. A room with a balcony is nice.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Sharon K

I am so glad you and your son had such a nice visit! While we adore our return guests, it’s always wonderful to experience Ocean House through the eyes of our first-time visitors, so thank you for sharing with us! I look forward to seeing you again next summer, and hopefully before then as well!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

My wife and I decided to attend the lobster bake for our anniversary. We were married at the Ocean House last July (see the review posted August 29, 2013) and were really looking forward to visting the property again. As there was a three night minimum in place for the weekend and no exceptions even if there were vacant rooms or it happened to be your anniversary, we decided to simply have a drink, enjoy the lobster bake and walk the property before returning home for the night.

We were excited for the lobster bake since we had modeled our rehearsal dinner after the idea and felt it romantic to recreate the experience a year later (though sans guests and center of the spotlight this year). As always, the aesthetics of the Ocean House are undeniable. It is a gorgeous location and the lobster bake was set up beautifully on the beach. My wife and I were seated at a four person table next to another couple. We really did enjoy the company but thought it would have been nice, given the whole anniversary thing, to have the option of our own table. In any event, we grabbed a drink and our food and started to enjoy the evening.

The food was good though not great as the lobster was undercooked. Disappointing given that the lobster was the star of the show but we did enjoy the other selections. The real issue started when the very, very large seagulls started to dive onto the tables and steal the food right off the plates. The semi-raw lobster didn't deter even the pickiest gull. It was nice to be on the beach and understand that the wildlife is part of the experience but the Ocean House should have been more prepared. A simple solution would have been faster bus service and additional staff. When half eaten plates are left on the tables for a period of time, the birds will join the party every time. I am just happy none of the guests were wearing the end product of the gull's dinner on their way home.

For $110 a person, the lobster bake would have been fine if the lobster were fully cooked and the birds didn't share the table. But note that the Ocean House adds a 22% service charge to the bill. It remains a mystery to me why the charge is added. This is a buffett where guests serve themselves (both food and drink) and where we bussed our own table in an attempt to keep the gulls away.

We did, however, end the night with a small replica of the top of our wedding cake in the bar upstairs. A definite highlight of the night and another reason why the event planning staff (we arranged the cake through that department) deserves a lot of credit.

Again, I am torn about this review since the Ocean House holds such a special place in our hearts. It's kind of like that favorite shirt that you wear regardless of whether there are a few wrinkles and everyone still compliments you on it anyways. I am sure we will be back though hope the Ocean House finds the iron and uses it not only for the guests that bestow the accolades but also for those like us.

PS. I have been curious as to why the general manager responds to all posts other than our post following our wedding and referenced above.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank cfboer
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

I am very sorry your lobster boil experience was not as you expected. We do promote our lobster boils as family-style seating which is why you were seated with another couple for the evening; however we do our best to accommodate special requests should we receive them ahead of time. Unfortunately we do not typically have seagulls who are quite as aggressive as they were that evening and I am very sorry they put such a damper on the evening. Again, I do apologize for your experience and assure you that we will correct these issues, and I am grateful that we will see you again in the future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Watch Hill
#6 of 6 in Misquamicut
Hilton Mystic
Hilton Mystic
#4 of 13 in Mystic

Been to The Ocean House? Share your experiences!