“What a find!”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Watch Hill
New York, New York, United States
“What a find!”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We are here at the hotel now, staying in 2 suites (large family). It's gorgeous. Rooms are chic, hotel and property are exquisite (and we are hard-to-please, high-end travel snobs). We can't get over the fact that this resort is only 2.5 hours from our home in NYC.

We wanted a quick beach getaway but can't stand the Hamptons, so we came here. We brought our 4 kids, ages 3-11. It's fantastic for kids. Ocean is chilly but not freezing, water is clear and waves are fun to ride. We still have yet to explore the sister property, Weekapaug Inn, but will head there tomorrow.

Only issue is the wi-fi is really wonky in our suite. Takes forever to connect then keeps dropping out.

But overall, we love it here and highly recommend it. It's also a great getaway for couples.

Room Tip: If price is no issue, ask for an oceanfront suite. Gorgeous.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MrsLVG
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
I am so pleased you’re enjoying your stay! We hear from many New Yorkers that they’re surprised something that feels like a world away from the city can actually be such a quick drive. I hope you enjoyed Weekapaug Inn as well and that your children were able to participate in some of the activities over there. I thank you for taking the time to share your feedback (especially in the midst of your visit) and I appreciate you letting us know about the WiFi, we will have that looked at.

President & Group Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Turkish first
Rouses Point, New York
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Driving to Watch Hill, RI,we decided to have lunch at The Ocean House. Our waiter sat us at a table on The Seaside Terrance. Exquisite view. We started with a pricey, but delightful cocktail. My Salad Nicoise was perfect. After a relaxing lunch, we enjoyed a stroll around the property. Don't miss the little gift shop. Looking forward to our return.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lovestotravelnow31
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Thank you so much for coming by for lunch. It sounds like you had a wonderful meal, complete with what was hopefully a successful stop by the boutique. I am also very much looking forward to your return!

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Make no mistake that the grounds and hotel are absolutely stunning. The hotel is from the Gilded Era and is quite impressive not only by size but also beauty. The lobster boil was held right on the beach which gave us magnificent views of the Atlantic Ocean and the hotel. I have limited bar service at the beach and mostly had beers and wines. The lobster boil was a buffet style and that must have been about 100 if not 120 people that night. They served not only lobster but clams, muscles, your typical starches, and barbecued ribs. I wish I could comment on how good the ribs were but every time I went up to see if there were any they kept telling me they were being cooked. They repeatedly would run out of not only the ribs but also the desserts. The service personnel would come out with 10 little cups of parfait with a line that would warrant maybe 50 of them. While I think that I would rather go to the restaurant and have a sit down meal, I would recommend going to the lobster boil if they didn't run out of food. For the money spent for my party of 5 ($700+), I expected this 5 start resort not to run out of food.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Samoyedogs
I am sorry for the inconveniences during your Lobster Boil, this is definitely an area we will reassess as to not encounter the same issues in the future. Thank you for sharing your thoughts as it is very helpful as we strive to constantly improve upon our services. I do hope you’ll be back again soon, perhaps we will have the pleasure of hosting you in one of our restaurants during your next visit.

Framingham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Wonderfully restored property from the Gilded Age. Beautiful beach with restaurant and drink service. Plenty of chairs and towels. The pool is essentially a 2 or 3 lane lap pool. It's adjacent to a patio area where you can get lunch and/or drinks. The sitting area at the pool is fairly limited, though attractively furnished. The burgers at the patio restaurant were quite good. There's another upscale restaurant indoors as well as one on the veranda.

There are Adirondack chairs and rockers on the veranda, porches, and lawns to sit back and take it all in. Wi-Fi worked well even in these outside areas.

Parking is valet only. The men who parked and retrieved the cars do not accept tips (Relais & Chateaux rule.) It's a very quick drive down to the shops in Watch Hill and the beach at Napatree Point. But I'd recommend walking instead. It's so nearby and on street parking is limited to the one street downtown.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank NewMexBound
I am delighted you enjoyed your visit so much. Thank you for taking the time out of your day to share your feedback, I greatly appreciate it. I hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Beverly Hills, California
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Great service from the time we pulled in the circle drive and the Valet took our car to the last sip of Dave's coffee from Rhode Island served in a french press. This is one of my all time favorite properties as we have been coming here since I was a kid and riding the carousel in town. The brunch has a myriad of choices nad then is a platted meal. The Bloody Mary Bar is one of my recommendations. The views are incredible and the service is adequate. Aleays nice to see some of the same faces come back year after year as some of the staff is seasonal.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank wetsuitdrymartini
It’s always wonderful to hear from people who have had Watch Hill be such a special place to them for all their lives. Thank you for your generous words and I look forward to seeing you during your next visit.

CT
Reviewed 15 August 2014

went for lunch. was told it was going to be 20 minute wait-45 minutes later we got our table. once at our table, after about 15 minutes we had to send a search party out to find our server. food was good. when I went to get my car, the parking staff lost it-took forever to find it and for me to drive off. facility is world class, service terrible

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank rjb826
I am sorry for your experience, as that is not typical of us. We pride our service on being that factor that makes our hotel shine and I can assure you that what you experienced is neither acceptable nor characteristic of Ocean House. During the busy summer months, waits for dining can be significantly longer than the other months of the year especially in our seasonal outlets, but I regret that this was incorrectly communicated to you. Please accept my sincere apologies.

Rhode Island
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

The views from the porches are breathtaking. The rocking chairs you could sit in all day if the beach and surf don't start calling your name, which it did for us. After a lunch of Cobb Salad (Lobster Rolls were sold out by 11:45AM) which was a bummer but our waiter was most apologetic. The salad was OK, my friends portion was a lot more than mine even though neither one of us finished them. There are several restaurants and a gift shop as well as a hotel. The grounds are amazing.

We're planning our next visit for dinner.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lynn B
Daniel H, General Manager at The Ocean House, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
I’m so sorry we were out of lobster rolls- it was a very popular day for them! I am looking forward to seeing you back soon and hope you are able to get just what you want.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Watch Hill
#2 of 13 in Mystic
Sandy Shore Motel
Sandy Shore Motel
#5 of 6 in Misquamicut

Been to The Ocean House? Share your experiences!