Review Highlights
A secret gem that is worth exploring

We held a bachelorette ride here with 12 girls and this place will not disappoint. Everyone at C&L... read more

Reviewed 16 October 2018
Batordog
New Haven, Connecticut
via mobile
Words are not enough here!

It was my first time ever to ride a horse. I was very scared, but my boyfriend convinced me to do... read more

Reviewed 30 September 2018
Inna M

All reviews trail riding riding experience friendly guide goddard park an experienced rider horses riders trot sweetness woods romeo newport
Reviewed 9 July 2017

Recently we did a group ride with 8 of us. I was very impressed with the safety briefing and care the leaders too. Each rider was paired with an appropriate horse. A friend of mine was visiting from Michigan and beach riding is on her bucket list so of course we had to go here at my suggestion.
This time it was just the 3 of us and we opted for the longer beach ride. Our guide was Matt, who was one of the multiple guides who had taken us out on my previous visit with a larger group. He is excellent and very, very good at analogies when explaining to less experienced riders how to do something. He clearly loves his job and is an experienced rider.
The trails are scenic however it is public land so there are walkers, runners and dog walkers which you will encounter. We did canter and trot multiple times, ( this will depend on your level of experience and what you discuss ahead of time), however note that you may be limited if there are a lot of other people on the trails. I do feel this is good though since it is a safety issue.
I would suggest bringing your own hunt cap if you have one so you don't have to use one that others have ( think bowling shoes. They are sanitized but public).
Safety is a priority here. If you do have to leave a message, they will call you back but it may take awhile.
I definitely will come here again should I want to go trail riding. Also, if you have your own horse and can trailer, this is a great place to ride in Goddard Park.

Date of experience: July 2017
Reviewed 1 October 2016

A group of 10 booked the bayside trail ride with Lee which follows the bay and a brief ride on the beach. Wonderful guides ride with you on this one hour ride. No experience is needed. The three stable guides who rode with us and instructed us what to do the entire way.$45pp worth every penny. You can use a credit card. Wear closed toe shoes and long pants.There are restrooms.
Since this is within Goddard State Park you can have a picnic,sit by the water or go to the beach.
Note your GPS will take you past the stables so ignore it when it tells you to drive straight. Rather look for the stable sign and turn into the first park entrance it is on the left. Wear closed toe shoes and long pants.

Date of experience: September 2016
1  Thank Jo A
Reviewed 25 August 2016

Not my first time around a barn but went with my kids 8 &10 who are novices. Hostlers took the time to give a brief but through introduction to each child on 1) riding in general 2) the particulars of each horse (i.e. this one will try to eat while walking if you aren't paying attention, this one dislikes walking through puddles). Right away I knew this would be a great ride since the staff (were moving like lightning) took time to ensure everyone was comfortable.

The best part? Each ride goes out in your own group! They turned down a dad and his 10yo kid who showed up sans reservations (any other place we would have taken 5 of us on the trail) Unheard of! Talk about personal service!

Our guide Matt was wonderful. He engaged the kids and showed us some sights along the wooded trail. We even had a trot- both kids were ecstatic. Nice young man, really knowledgable about riding.

The horses we had were so sweet- Nike, JC and .... All very well mannered, no issues or bad habits, all truly push button. Will for sure be back if in the area again. If you're on the fence about a trail ride, take the plunge and do it here, you will not be disappointed.

Date of experience: August 2016
Reviewed 25 August 2016

We had such a great time ! Everyone that worked there was very safety concious and extremely flriendly . The ride going thru the park was so nice and then we got to ride on the beach , which my grand daughter loved and so did I. We had a wonderful ride with a friendly guide ( I think his name was Matt) he was terrific.

Date of experience: August 2016
Reviewed 18 December 2015 via mobile

This place is just great!! We called earlier in the day and we were told to book a reservation due to the business of the day. We set the reservation for a few hours later and were extremely pleased right from the start! The staff here at C&L stables are knowledgeable, personable, and very sweet! We met the owners and several other people, they are all very nice to talk to! My wife got to ride Cisco & I got to ride the owners horse, Sweetness. We ended up having a private ride, just my wife and I (along with 2 guides) The ride through the park was great & our horses were perfect for each of us! We had an amazing time & we will surely be back soon!
Amazing place, great people & perfect horses!!

Date of experience: December 2015