“Nasty Bug infested motel” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Sand Dollar Inn
Ranked #17 of 17 Hotels in Westerly
Middletown, Connecticut
“Nasty Bug infested motel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

I stayed at this motel for 2 nights with my wife, sister in law and boyfriend. We had a standard double bed motel room for $380.00. First of all, they told us on the phone that the room woud be $284.00 and when we arrived they jacked up the price to $380.00. Second of all, what they call the continental breakfast was plastic containers filled with cherrios, coffee, toast, and a can of fruit in a stryofoam dish. I've had better meals in a soup kitchen serving the homeless. The room smelled horrible, they had bugs and flies in the sheets. I don't know what the first two reviews are talking about but this was the worst motel in human history. To call this motel simply amazing is like saying the titanic was a total success.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cpinero84

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

If you're looking for a comfortable clean affordable motel this is NOT the place to go to. OMG we were stared at awkwardly by the owners and they are soooo rude! They told us that we were the reason why the room was so absolutely discusting. I'm sorry but I'm not the reason that mildew wouldve grown in the two hours that I decided to stay there, or the fact that a million little bugs would be crawling everywhere either! How stupid do they think people are? They should be closed down. Seriously, has anyone gotten sick from this place yet? I wouldn't doubt it. Thank god we found a better place near by that wasn't totally booked! What a nightmare!

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank NoWayInHell22

Travellers are raving about these Westerly hotels

San Rafael, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

For the past 5 years, my two young kids and I have stayed here for 3 or 4 nights in both July and August. We have always had a good experience. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The place is quiet. The owners are gracious and accommodating. Also, it is just 5 minutes from the beach and close to stores and restaurants. The rates are very reasonable.

Incidentally, in years past, we stayed at some of the more highly recommended motels, and even rented houses from Stanton Realty. This was before we discovered the Sand Dollar Inn. Now, it is the only place we will stay when we are in Westerly.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank 0416Richard
Boston,Ma
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

This was by far the WORST motel/hotel/inn I have ever stayed in. I dont even know where to start. Okay, lets start with the owners. The couple somehow thinks its appropriate to stare down their guests every time they are within eyesight. When we first arrived, they were fighting and just plain rude. Next, lets discuss the accommodations. The room we stayed in was disgusting, the overwhelming musty/cigarette smell hit you as soon as you walked into the room. it was completely outdated with mismatching 'art' (seriously, there was a 'painting' of a seashore next to a Italian cooking themed runner). The comforter was from the 80s (and that was probably the last time it was washed), there was a small closet without hangers with the doors falling off. The bathroom was a real gem, my fiancee and I wore our flip flops in the tiny shower which sunk under our weight. The shower instructions were written on the shower in sharpie. Surprisingly, there were only a few dead bugs on the bathroom floor. The shower towels were tiny, and barely hung from my waist to my thighs. All of the linens/towels had the the inn name written with sharpie on them (who the hell would steal them?!?There is an Ocean State Job Lot down the road, just go get some NEW linens and towels!!!!)
One day we came back to find our door completely open. After we went in and found nothing cleaned/straightened out, and also nothing was missing except our dirty towels, we ran into the owner who causally replied 'dont worry about it'.
The majority of clientele at the sandollar inn MADE you worry about having your doors unlocked!
The 'buffet' breakfast included only burnt coffee, a tub of cheerios and some fruit. We were one of 3 couples that stayed here for a wedding, and all felt the same way. The first day there I even attempted to make another reservation at a different hotel and eat the cost of the sandollar inn, however since it was July 4th weekend everywhere was booked. That is the LAST time I ever let my fiancee choose a hotel!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marisa125
Laurel, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2011

I make 3-4 trips each year to the Westerly area for fishing and the Sand Dollar Inn has become my place to stay. A great value with wonderfully conscientious and hospitable owners. I have stayed at other beach motels in the area and all are comparable to some extent. These older privately owned motels are not the Ritz but Dana and KK make every effort to make me welcome and comfortable. The rooms are reliably clean and the beds are comfortable. This is a great value for the money.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Taander
Ansonia, Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2010

rooms were old and needed updated. staff was nasty and watched us like a hawk. kids came home with bug bites. rooms stunk /musty.was not worth the money!!!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ocharlie
trumbull,
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2010

My daughter and I arrived after dark and we had the last room at the end of the property that was very wooded. We were nervous about parking but then when we entered the room we were scared because the lock on the door was flimsy, the room looked like a bad movie set with a broken bed and a crooked lamp shade and curtains that did not fit the window! The bathroom was full of mildew and I had to blast the hot water in order to sterlize the shower! I barricaded the door with the desk chair but the chair was wobbly so I am sure someone could have barged right in! Then to top it off, I could not get service on my cell! Sounds like a nightmare, right? We hardly slept all night.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank pattyTrumbull_
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westerly
Winnapaug Inn
#3 of 6 in Misquamicut
Breezeway Resort
Breezeway Resort
#1 of 6 in Misquamicut

Been to Sand Dollar Inn? Share your experiences!