“Pauline, "Quiet, clean and very friendly"”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sand Dollar Inn

Sand Dollar Inn
Ranked #17 of 17 Hotels in Westerly
“Pauline, "Quiet, clean and very friendly"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

On our last trip to RI, we stop at this charming motel, not too far from the beach. It was very clean and quiet. The couple who own this place are more than accomodating. On our next trip to Westerly, RI. it will be our place again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pauline L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband and I planned a trip with another couple for a night at Misquamicat, we wanted simple and affordable and this fit the bill perfectly. After my friend booked the hotel we looked at the reviews and were actually mortified but we said, if it's terrible we'll sleep in the car haha but we went and it definitely was NOT as bad as the reviews said it was, you're staying at a MOTEL people! not a 5 star hotel resort, it's the typical beach motel. It was NOT dirty at all, the owners and workers were extremely courteous and as soon as we needed anything they were right on it. We didn't feel unsafe, sure the place is outdated, the furniture could be updated and the walls should be repainted but who cares? it's not like you're buying the place. I have stayed at skeevy motels and this was not one of them. If you're looking to just have a simple affordable one night trip to the beach I'd highly recommend this place. It's a 10 minute drive to the strip or a ($13 cab ride) to the main strip (we took a cab at night to the bars and back).

Room Tip: if you have 4 people ask for the EFF room, it has a kitchen and living room area and costs the same...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Ani C
Port Chester, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

My husband and I wanted a quick getaway weekend near the Rhode Island beaches, and this filled the bill nicely! The room was pleasant and clean, and the staff was more than accomodating. The couple who have owned and operated this place for quite a few years couldn't have been friendlier. The location was perfect and so quiet, Well-kept grounds and picnic tables where you could enjoy the continental breakfast outside if you so wished. Plain and simple, and isn't that what beach living should be? Had a 1950s "air" about it, which we found charming. Sure, I brought my own hair dryer and small coffee maker, but so what? Reasonable price too! Give it a try, and don't be put off by the not so great reviews you might read here. Glad we did!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kathleen Z
Hartford, Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

My son and daughter were traveling to Misquamicut beach area, last minute and were looking for a place to stay by the beach. There is a place right on the beach called the Sand Castle. They mistakenly booked the night at the Sand Dollar and gave the debit card information . The fee for the night was $ 158... They immediately called me and said they were booked at the Sand Dollar, I told them, this was the wrong place and to quick call back to cancel. The owner said the policy is no refund if cancelled later than 7 days prior to book in. IT had been maybe 7 min. ! The owner said NO refund or not even any of it. I called myself and spoke to the owner and he said there was nothing he could do. I said, of course there was something he could do, like do the right thing and refund the money, or part of it at least, but he wouldn't budge. I Googled the place and the reviews are terrible any way, so glad they didn't stay there. I told the owner what goes around comes around and bad Karma is a you know what...... I also told him I would tell the story....and not recommend his place. He still didn't care....oh well.....at least I tried to get him to do the right thing.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank lsorvillo

Travellers are raving about these Westerly hotels

Yarmouth Port, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

This motel is just as bad as most of the reviews say. I booked it on Hotwire, the part of the sight that does not show the hotel, never again!! I don't care how cheap book on Hotwire but only use the part of the sight that shows what you are getting! I had no idea Hot wire deals with such poor properties. Hotwire will not let you exchange or give you credit once you find out what a dump you booked. Ok, so I drive up to the motel right out of the 60's it doesn't look so bad from the outside. I check in & I have already paid & he wants my credit card & drivers license! I ask why & he says incidentals, what incidentals, no mini frig. No pay preview movies. I gave it to reluctantly. In this day & age with credit card fraud & identity theft I think this outrages when I had paid everything on Hotwire. Ok, let's get to the room, the door to the room was so flimsy I was afraid used the double lock but put a chair up to the door. One bed had a long black hair on the bottom sheet when I opened the covers & a white smear on the bed spread! The carpet is indoor outdoor looked dirty & I would not walk on it with my bare feet. The was a dead bug in the bathroom & a spider in the room. The soap was tiny tiny little bars. You had to run hot water in the sink for the hot water to work in the shower. I had a horrible sleep because I didn't feel safe or that I was in a clean room.
Spend more money for other accommodations. I camp and I am used to bugs & roughing out doors but give me a break you should be ashamed Hotwire to list this property!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Caribislandseeker
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Stayed here with a friend for Labor Day weekend for the second time. We plan to stay there again next year as we attend a music and dance festival nearby every year. Over the years we have stayed in several of the local hotels.....none of these places are 'luxury'....all beach motels in a beach town. We like the Sand Dollar best. The place is plain but clean, everything works (fridge, AC, etc) the couple that run the place are very nice, and the location works well for us. The reports of the place being noisy are odd....pretty quiet overall as it is up off of the road. (Rte 1) No noisy guests during either of our stays. As for odors and humidity...the beach area is VERY humid, and by the time we left even my car smelled musty. It is what it is....good idea to leave the windows open on hot days in any of the local places. As for all of the cat urine, dirty linen, and dirty toilet stories...????? This motel is quite clean if a little run down. Many others is the area are VERY run down.

Anyway....they even serve a cold breakfast in the morning.....cereal, muffins, etc, and coffee and tea. No complaints here, and as I said, we will stay there again next year.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Stephanie C
Colrain, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

we made a reservation online for this motel,,we love westerly and misquamicut beach. We travel the 2.5 hrs to go to the beach. well we wanted to spend the night in town.sooooooooo..the check-in was fine without a problem. We got rm #4,,OMG...we opened the door and we were assaulted with a VERY STRONG CAT URINE ODOR...terrible we opened the windows and the door trying to get rid of the strongness of the smell. I sprayed a whole can of Lysol EVERYWHERE and we left and went to dinner.
we got back and that stinky odor was still there. I went to the front desk and told the man how awful it smelled and he gave me a can of some room freshener and said it was because of humidity???????????? what????????? humidity smells like cat urine??????? ok since there was really no place else to go we had to stay. Now the room has all kinds of bugs in it because we had to keep the door open...so 1 can of Lysol and 1 can of air freshener,,it was a bit more bearable. oh and we had to kill the bugs then,,,wth...I had a headache from all the aerosol spray we used. ok so we are stuck,,go to sleep wake up at 5am..ummmm the horrible smell is back,,we showered and high tailed it outta there,,it took a good hour to get that smell out of my nose. DON'T GO THERE for 165.00 we expected at the very least a cleaner environment. never , never again.

Room Tip: even if you have to stay there DONT GET ROOM 4
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sherriem54
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westerly
Winnapaug Inn
#4 of 13 in Mystic
Misquamicut Beach Front Inn
Misquamicut Beach Front Inn
#3 of 6 in Misquamicut

Been to Sand Dollar Inn? Share your experiences!