“needs some T.L.C.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shelter Harbor Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Westerly
Shelter Harbor Inn
Ranked #9 of 10 Westerly B&B and Inns
North Scituate, Rhode Island
“needs some T.L.C.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

Poorly maintained with no emphasis on service or amenities. Good breakfast. Could not wait to leave, the rooms are dated and uncomfortable. The heater in the room was incredibly loud and not efficient. The Inn has charm, but needs to be maintained and refurbished. We stayed in the carriage house, which was less than comfortable. The rooms in the main Inn looked cozy and had some appeal. The food is decent. The wine list shows some sophistication. There are some nice walks to be taken in the area, and you are not too far from Watch Hill and the Westerly beaches. Golf courses are nearby also. We have dined there often during the last 25 years, and the food is good. This was our first overnight,I would not stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hahnri

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Wolfeboro, New Hampshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

My family and I stayed at the Shelter Harbor Inn this past weekend, 5/18/13. This is the worst Inn/Motel that I have ever stayed in. I would have given this place no stars, but it makes you give it a rating.
When booking our room the person told me that we would be staying in the barn. We checked in and brought our things to our room to find that there was a wedding party staying in the barn as well. They had coolers of booze lined up the hall. The Inn never told us this when booking our room. Nothing was said about a wedding party being in the same building, and I made sure to mention that I have 2 small children. As you can imagine they wedding party was loud and kept my family and I up ALL night. We called the desk several times to complain and nothing was done to quiet the noise. I DO NOT recommend this Inn to ANYONE with small children.
The rooms are tiny, the walls are paper thin and you can hear EVERYTHING!! And the staff leaves much to be desired. Every member of the staff that we dealt with was rude. And when I checked out the person at the desk asked me how my night was. I told her exactly what happened and her response was "oh we should have told you that when you booked your room." Yeah thanks for that was mine.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Cheryl W

Travellers are raving about these Westerly hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

My sisters family and I came to town for a funeral. Our trip was worsened by our stay at Shelter Harbor. They failed to tell us when we made the reservation, that the rooms we had were in the Barn which contained guests from a wedding party. The thin walls and loud obnoxious drunk people up until 6 am kept us all awake all night. Not to mention my 2 and 3 year old nieces were screaming from constant awakenings. At breakfast the next morning, our waiter took 20 minutes to bring our check to attend to the large wedding party that had kept us up the night before. I would NEVER stay here again, and I suggest that people with children keep looking for a better place with a better atmosphere! If I didn't have to rate this place to review it, I would give all ZEROS!!!!!!

Worst night to coincide with an already bad time of losing my grandfather.

Absolutely awful!!!

• Stayed May 2013
4 Thank MJ2678
Warren, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

Upon a recommendation by a co-worker, we went in for lunch as part of our 25th wedding anniversary. The décor and charm of the Shelter Harbor Inn is warm and inviting. We shared a bottle of wine, relaxed and conversed for 2 hrs over a very nice lunch starting with a Calamari appetizer, followed by a smoked Haddock and pan seared sea scallop entrees ending with a Limoncello Tartufo. The entire meal was absolutely delicious and our waitress Chelsea was the best. Afterwards we took a short walk along the beach as part of a perfect day. We’ll definitely be back and looking at the wine & dinner packages for an extended stay.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ken S
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

The Inn has two buildings, and both are nicely furnished. The restaurant is good. They have a shuttle bus to a beautiful beach and the inn keeper is terrific. We've recommended the inn to many friends and family who have enjoyed it. I held my own wedding lunch there many years ago and my brother got married there a few years ago and it was lovely.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank ZoyaKNewYork
Verplanck, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

Went here for a little get-a-way with my fiance, and loved it. Hotel staff was very nice and helpful, room was fantastic, and the food was great. They have a tennis court, as well as a beach located a distance away. We went off season, but it didn't matter, place was still on point. Will be staying here again.

Room Tip: Make sure you request a room with a fireplace
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dougzillathe3rd
Westerly, Rhode Island
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

Our tip was padded. Watch your statement. Mediocre, room temperature food. Oh, okay 200 character minimun comment...can't say much more about the place. Made a reservation 3 months in advance of Christmas day and was stuck in a back room with the window open, over the outside dumpster.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank muffi g
jimdey, General Manager at Shelter Harbor Inn, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
We are deeply sorry that your dining experience did not meet expectations. I do wish you had asked to speak with myself or another available manager so we may have had the chance to address the specific seating and food quality issues and correct the impression we left instead. Furthermore, while we understand your concern regarding a discrepancy with the tip amount, we are perplexed by the intensity of your response. When humans are involved, mistakes will happen and we do our best to rectify any errors on our part as quickly and thoroughly as possible. Unfortunately, in this case we were unable to follow through with the usual expedience due to not having correct or available contact information for which to reach you. With your recent call to us we were finally able to make the necessary correction in a satisfactory manner. Excellent service is something we pride ourselves on and what we train our staff to achieve. We try very hard to provide each and every guest with the best experience possible and we fell short this time. We will continue to strive for the highest level and hope you will join us again to prove our dedication to our guests.

Westley Dey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westerly
Winnapaug Inn
#2 of 13 in Mystic
The Break
The Break
#1 of 8 in Narragansett

Been to Shelter Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!