“Lovely breakfast on the patio” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shelter Harbor Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Westerly
Shelter Harbor Inn
Ranked #9 of 10 Westerly B&B and Inns
Clifton Park, New York
“Lovely breakfast on the patio”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

My wife and I had a lovely sunlit breakfast on the patio. Food was very good, service was friendly and efficient. Now I'm going to add a bunch of nonsense because the site requires that the review be at least 200 characters and I've really said all I need to say.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Windsor, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

Don't miss out on the hot tub on the roof.

The breakfasts are fantastic.

Great location for Rhode Island water fun and evening walks in the neighborhood.

Be sure to ask about room choices, though they are all good.

Room Tip: Talk to the reservationist about choices.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Garrison, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

I've stayed in one B&B and this was my second stay at an Inn. Staying at B&B's and Inn's always makes me a little nervous because I'm more of a hotel person, but the Shelter Harbor Inn was a nice surprise. I traveled with my mother and sister and stayed in the barn. The room was a bit older but the bedding was new and clean. We did notice a rather large "historic" looking cobweb on the floor lamp but the room was otherwise clean. The air conditioner was struggling to cool down the room but it was cool out so we really didn't need it. Large shower with good water pressure. Room was a bit musty but I'm sure it's age was the cause.
The grounds were well appointed. There was a swing set play area for children, a croquet field, paddle court, and rooftop hot tub. I was very impressed with the amenities on the grounds. The beach was a short car ride away. Beautiful beach (I love the beach). The Inn provides a beach pass.
The restaurant was impressive. The complimentary breakfast was not skimpy. It was a choice of a full breakfast that included a crab cake eggs Benedict, berry hot cakes, and other delicious choices. We also had dinner there. The lobster bisque had huge chunks of lobster and tarragon flavor. It was one of the best bisques I've ever had. Dinners and desserts were also delicious.
Staff was very friendly and relaxed. Overall, it was a great stay. I'd definitely consider returning and would recommend Shelter Harbor Inn to family and friends.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank gavann
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

I love places that straddle the B&B/hotel line and Shelter Harbor fits that description. Our room in the barn was large and clean though nothing fancy. The shower was one of those one-piece ones that are more common in a motel than a hotel. I could hear the people walking above but not a sound from the rooms on either side (and I did see people staying in them.)

Dinner on a Saturday night was good though service was slow. I didn't realize that the clam chowder I ordered was RI-style. The waitress graciously changed my soup to lobster bisque.

Standards have definitely changed over the past few years and many places have lost their old-fashion charm as a result of "luxury" renovations. I hope the Shelter Harbor Inn stays as it is.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Callebaut
Maplewood, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

We came here shoulder season for a weekend family get away. I was nervous about Kids at a B and B and but got a really fun room on the third floor. It was huge. With only a queen bed it had a huge sitting/living area and we got two blow up twin beds for the kids. We had tons of room and the fire escape out our window led to the roof top deck with hot tub. The kids LOVED it. We really enjoyed having a restaurant on site and loved the bar. Breakfast was great and we were able to eat on the patio which was lovely. Giant hydrangeas everywhere!

But with that said you have to be the right type of person.

This is a historic old house. The steps up to the attic were steep and not for the faint of heart. This place has creaky floors and a charming New England "patina". We absolutely loved the character and the old school vibe of this place. I can understand why some reviewers just don't "get it". If you are looking for a five star uppity amenities and service, you should go to the Hamptons instead. If you are seeking a friendly family run Inn with character. This is it! We found the staff so friendly and inviting and would love to come back. We just wish it was a tad less expensive.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank mestaunton
Marshfield, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

Every time we went back to the inn during our stay, it was like stepping back in time. Very quaint, quiet (except for the vacuum cleaner that went on downstairs at 7:45 every morning), something out of bygone years when an inn was the only place to stay. We stayed in the main house, and our room was clean and quaintly appointed. The fireplace was nice, and our own private deck with lounge chairs and umbrella table was great. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and while the waitstaff at breakfast was very young, they did a great job. The breakfasts every morning were wonderful. We usually stay at more upscale places, but our stay was for a family reunion, so we were just sleeping there - there's not much to do at the inn. The beach passes we used one day took us to a beautiful town beach. Our one complaint would be that the bed was old and hard and the pillows flat - but the charm of the place plus the great breakfasts and beautiful outdoor patio dining somehow made us forgive this one disappointment!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the 3 rooms on the second floor of the main house that has a private patio with loung...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank greenhaba_11
North Scituate, Rhode Island
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

Poorly maintained with no emphasis on service or amenities. Good breakfast. Could not wait to leave, the rooms are dated and uncomfortable. The heater in the room was incredibly loud and not efficient. The Inn has charm, but needs to be maintained and refurbished. We stayed in the carriage house, which was less than comfortable. The rooms in the main Inn looked cozy and had some appeal. The food is decent. The wine list shows some sophistication. There are some nice walks to be taken in the area, and you are not too far from Watch Hill and the Westerly beaches. Golf courses are nearby also. We have dined there often during the last 25 years, and the food is good. This was our first overnight,I would not stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hahnri

Travellers are raving about these Westerly hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Westerly
Winnapaug Inn
The Break
The Break
#1 of 8 in Narragansett
La Quinta Inn & Suites Stonington

Been to Shelter Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!