“felt like i was walking into Norman Bates motel”
Review of Aquastar Inn

Aquastar Inn
Ranked #7 of 10 Westerly B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 May 2014

From the moment we pulled into the turq colored motel, i thought if i showered there would be Norman Bates at the curtain. The woman at the counter not only didn't give the discount for one of us, but the place recommends their free breakfast in the morning, there is NO breakfast in the morning, her reply to this...we just haven't taking that off the website yet sorry. one of us with a diabetic child could NOT get a mini fridge for his food, the ice machine was left unplugged so the ice was water. We were told that it doesn't matter the amount of people in your room, only three towels allowed. The pool and hot tub were open with GREEN water floating, yes it is a pet friendly motel as the poop on every part of the grass stated. Beer bottles in the fire pit, but once we cleaned that out it was a nice fire night. One of our rooms was missing the second key so the creeper in room 110 who sat in his car for two hours staring at our windows made us very uneasy. Having a family friendly motel you would think they would have more than FOUR tv channels (weather, golf, hunting knives selling, and english pbc) for kids to watch. All in all if you want a quick night, stay there.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank JohnandShannon D
aquastar, General Manager at Aquastar Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

we do apologize for your inconvenience and stay at a motel. We do not open pool, hot tub or ice machine till Memorial weekend for your information. Rooms are nice and clean as we check them as it gets cleaned. It's not Hilton or Marriott nor you can get those rooms for if you are looking for affordability. We do our best to keep rooms clean, affordable, manageable, client oriented....

Reviewed 4 May 2014

So I booked a room here without reading the reviews. After I booked, I read reviews and became weary and nervous to stay. Some of the reviews made me think I was going to walk into something like a dump. I was pleasantly surprised though. The room was clean, check in people were nice, the bed wasn't the most comfortable but it wasn't terrible either. Overall, my stay was great. If you are looking for a Hilton hotel type stay, don't bother. Those are the type of people I think that were writing bad reviews. You want to pay motel price and get a five star top of the line room? Well sorry. This room was perfect for what we needed this past weekend and I would definitely recommend for anyone looking for a quiet, nice and cheap place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Xx0oCJo0xX
Reviewed 16 August 2013

At $ 90 per night mid week I booked sight unseen for myself and my 13 yr old son and his best friend. We intended to do a LOT of fishing and only intended to sleep and shower here for three days. The owners live on sight and were very pleasant & personable with us. When we arrived all seemed OK the place seemed a little dated but I figured "what the Heck" its just me and the 2 boys, they are Boy scouts and spent 3 weeks this summer sleeping in a tent or lean too so how much worse can it be. When I got the key to the room and entered it was a half a step better than the tents. BUT I would also liken it to a "SHORT STAY MOTEL" the kind that you pay for by the hour when your cheating ! and it appeared as if several of the rooms were occupied by long term tenants (Section 8- or Homeless) I went to Walmart and bought a couple mattress pads and beds in bag because, although I thought I'd seen it all working in the South Bx for 20 years, I was a little Skived. The Beds were just that "BEDS" of Walmart or low budget quality, the linens appeared to have been washed but were stained and worn as well as low quality, the comforter was OBVIOUSLY old and STAINED (I didn't want to know ??) . The pool had cracked & chipping cement and the Jacuzzi was of course not working "it went out of service yesterday" ??? The A/C worked sporadically and basically just circulated the air not cooling much. As I said the staff was pleasant but would not let us out of the booking. I would highly recommend paying the x-tra $50 per night and staying in the La Quanta just about 8 miles away. I guess this place would be OK for a couple guys who are just fishin and don't care or require a lot of Frills. But for a family on vacation "BREAK DOWN AND FIND ANOTHER PLACE!!!" I stopped in the laundromat on the way home and threw Everything I had brought into the room in the machine rather than bring it home to wash.. JUST IN CASE !!!.... Sorry but not again, You Get What You Pay For !!

Room Tip: La Quinta in Stonington a PALACE ! in comparison (about $ 50 more per night & 8 miles further fr...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Richde09
aquastar, Owner at Aquastar Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

We apologize for your uncomfortable stay. As you know its not Hilton but way better than sleeping in Tents or cars. Its a accommodation which provides clean and comfortable and most affordable stay with proximity to beach, dinning and shopping. But if you insist on Hilton then this wont be perfect stay for you. And we had pool all painted neat and nice with white border. You brought your friends and also they enjoyed in pool without permission despite the in house guests only. We also laid new linens from National hospitality Supply not from Walmart. We had all weekend full after yours and no one has complained about our AC which is also cleaned and maintained properly. We are bed bug free motel and we have received guarantee from Terminex. We have not long term tenants but we do have some contractors and working people stays here in separate building. No one is without job, We always try to keep place clean, comfortable, affordable and enjoyable..

Reviewed 13 August 2013

For the past 10 years I have gone up to Rhode Island and stayed at the Ambassador Motel, but they closed this year. I was very disappointed and searched the internet, wanting a place to stay after spending the days on the beach and not having it cost me a fortune since I needed two rooms. I found it the Aquastar Inn, the owners went out of their way to make you happy. One morning the owner made my son and his girlfriend waffles. The rooms were clean. The pool was refreshing after a day at the beach. It was a very nice and I will make sure I go back.

Room Tip: I stayed up in the top portion and was pleased with the location.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Denyse M
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We stayed for 2 nights. yes there were things wrong but it was nothing we could not live with. Everyone we met including staff were nice. Maybe a little updating could be done but everything comes in time. We have stayed in worse motels on the Jersey shore..

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Sue R
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Ok so we were a group of 4 reserved a 2 bed room, 115 to be precisely... Before paying for the room we asked to see it since it was a motel we wanted to make sure it was OK so from the quick look we had it seemed ok. Paid for the room, dropped off our stuff and went to the casinos near by. By 2 am we came back my cousin lifted up the bed covers and guess what? BLOOD STAINS/HAIRS/YELLOW STAINS on both beds... My husband started to scratch himself he felt something on his back it was a FLEA... We started to packing up, I went to the office and told them we were not staying and obviously asked for the whole money back the wife came down with a nasty attitude went to the room with my husband to confirm what I had said was true got back to the office spoke in hindu and told the husband there was nothing there!! Im Portuguese descended but I worked 7 years with an Indian doctor so I UNDERSTAND A LITTLE HINDU...She told the husband I was a lying [--] and there was no blood there... I told her WHAT YOU MEAN THERE'S NO BLOOD THERE I'LL SHOW YOU EXACTLY WHERE IT IS!!! Back in the room found the stain and she had the NERVE to tell me Oh that's on the bottom it won't touch you!
I was a medical and dental assistant for 8 years and I KNOW the risk and danger of contact with blood specially unknown blood!!
I was not expecting luxuries but I've stayed at many motels before and the only thing I do ask for is HYGIENE.
We did got the full amount of money back but only after I threatened them with police and health department... It was a discussing place... They don't change covers or sheets they had "sex" and sweat smell on! Seriously Im not a picky person I'll sleep on the floor with no pillow if I have to but CLEAN pleaseee... I actually have pictures of it to prove it you may email me jmsb8483 at gmail. com and do NOT GO THERE, IF YOU DO CHECK YOU ROOM AND BED BEFORE ANYTHING!!!

• Stayed: September 2012
10  Thank Sagitarios2514
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I too was also hesitant to stay at the aquastar and came to R.I. without a hotel reservation after seeing this one on-line and being nervous because of the reviews. After driving around for a while and viewing other options I went back and gave it a try as it looked decent from the outside. I found the staff friendly and the room acceptable. It was what I expeceted from a motel near the beach. We did not have a phone in our room and when re-reading the website saw that it said micro-fridge (meaning small fridge) and not microwave. We did not try to continental breakfast as we had brought cereal for the room. I found the location convenient and having the pool a plus. While there were a few bugs that could have been skimmed off the top the pool was fine and I did observe a staff member adding chlorine after our swim in the evening. My family and I are planning on returning for another weekend soon.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family