“Years of satisfaction”
Review of Ocean View Motel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Westerly
Ocean View Motel
Ranked #5 of 10 Westerly B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I've been staying at this hotel just about every year since for the last 10 yrs & have never been dissatisfied. The price is prime for the location & is always clean . It's definitely not the Ritz, so if looking for more pristine conditions I reccomend Pleasant View Motel but after all I'm only there to sleep & shower . The owner is very polite & discrete. Updates to the furnishings wouldn't be a bad idea. But overall this place fits a humble person looking for a reasonable. See you summer of 2015 Nick !

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank felicitylovesri

Reviewed 2 October 2013

I was looking for a place near the beach, but at a reasonable price. This place is a little old but has room for a family to stay with some extra elbow room. The price was very reasonable for the area. It is owned and operated by a man who grew up in the area, not by a corporate office or foreign nationals.
As the title says, it may not be a palace, but as a quaint beach place, it fit the bill.

Room Tip: When you go to a place like this, if you want to be treated with kindness and respect, you should ha...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Nick has a great personality and an easy going guy. The hotel is conveniently located in walking area to beach and shop. It's just an outdated room with outdated hard bedding that sometimes stinks a little. But the price is right and there are refrigerators in the rooms.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank angela s
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Ocean View Motel is the BEST! It is just across the street from the Ocean and very easy to get to. The prices are good and they even sell Ice Cream for the kids. I have been going there for 25 years and I wouldn't go any place else. This is a home away from home. And the owner is a great guy!!!! Louise

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Ocean View Motel has a perfect location, prices are really good (the best in the area) very close to the beach. And good acces to tourisim around, going to deep see fishing, Carrousell, Wach Hill, next to the Maria's Restaurant is a plus!!
Service was excellent they change sheets and towels and clean the room everyday. They provide to the room any of my request as an extra pans, toaster, towels, pillows etc with no extra charge. My family stay every summer since year 2000. My Grown up children have a beautiful memories.
Perfect for a family!!! My parents also love it. My children and I recomend Ocean Vew Motel

Room Tip: Not a fancy motel, but you can not bit the Location and price.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank ultimahora007
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Lovee this motel. Very modest but overalll great experice and price. The owner is super nice and let us keep our car parked there even after checking out. Love that it's across the street from the beach, Will be staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Angie C
Reviewed 23 September 2011

We came to visit RI for a wedding last weekend, and since we were on a budget, we decided to book a room at the Ocean View Motel. Big Mistake. We arrived to find some strange man sitting in the parking lot on a chair smoking a cigarette and glaring at us. "Check In" was nothing more than an uneasy encounter with a shady man that was the owner, janitor and "concierge".

I was quickly taken to the room so that I could check it out and be sure that it would accommodate us, and although the room was nasty from first glance, I have stayed in worse places and usually as long as I can shower or sleep, it doesn't matter to me as long as I am getting a good deal.

Within 5 minutes of unloading the car and entering the room, my allergies started to act up, and I got a massive headache. My only major allergy is mold, and it was apparent that this hotel was infested with it, as it was the only place I had a reaction since getting to the state days before. I thought that maybe if I took a shower with the stained towels I was provided with by the owner, it would help and make it better, but it did not. It also didn't help that the entire room wreaked of cigarette smoke from previous guests.

Feeling miserable after about a half hour, we decided to check the bed and see if it was clean, and to our surprise, when we pulled up the sheets and inspected the mattress we could see bed bugs infested in the hems of the fabric. Once we saw that we decided it was time to go.

We needed to make sure we could get another hotel room since this was a busy weekend in Westerly. We had no choice but to book at another hotel near the "Ocean House" at $300 a night, but you get what you pay for.

We drove back to the Ocean View Motel to report the problems to the owner, and he was quick to apologize and agree to issue us a full refund. We were pretty satisfied that he agreed to the refund, and we had no intentions on writing this review until the mail came today and we got a hand-written letter from him saying that after inspection of the room, he decided not to refund us the money because "the room had been used". I guess this guy considers "used" to mean checking for bed bugs, and taking a shower.

On a side note, the rooms do come with a working kitchen with a stove and refrigerator. We found half-eaten Chinese food in one of the drawers, along with fortune cookies. When you turned on the water in the bathroom sink, the pipes banged so loudly that it shook the whole room. When turning on the water to take a shower, I was squirted in the face by a stream that could only have happened from a clogged shower head. Also, I happen to be a skinny man, so if you are even slightly overweight, don't expect to fit in the shower at all. I could barely turn around myself, and I can't imagine someone with a few more pounds being able to.

I have slept in hostels in Europe, floors in Mexico, and even some of the crummiest motels in the world, and this is by far the nastiest place I have ever stayed. It's not even worth the $90 they charged us, but if you were to pay $30 then perhaps some people would disregard the filth and sleep in it. I would not.

As for our experience with being denied the refund after being told we would get one, now we are charging the funds back through our bank. Not only does this make it a hassle for us, but it will end up costing this motel more than if they had just refunded us because his credit card merchant has penalties for people having to make chargebacks.

Room Tip: Forget this hotel and go to the Ocean House. It's expensive, but its the price you need to pay t...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
13  Thank AdenM12
nicknac, Manager at Ocean View Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2011

Our policy remains that if your not happy with your accommodations upon arrival we will waive all fees. As a bussiness, we prefer all satisfied costomers. In this particular instance, it seemed a tad ambiguous because the parties of this complaint had held the room for a number of hours before complaining of allergies. However, assuming that the room had not yet been impacted and in keeping with our above stated policy we agreed to a full refund. Unfortunatly upon checking the room for re-renting it was found to be in need of a complete house keeping regement, and was in no way ready for re-rental until the following day. Had we not anticipated a reasonable person, with a reasonable request, this could have of been handled in person at that time, and perhaps some type of reasonable compromise could have been reached. But, in order to have a reasonable solution, one must first be reasonable.