“A step back in time”
Review of Weekapaug Inn

Weekapaug Inn
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Westerly
Reviewed 21 July 2013

And what a wonderful step back it was. This sister property to the nearby Ocean House has been recently renovated and what a renovation it has been. Almost all modern amenities can be found here with the exception of in-room telephones. There is only an intercom between you and the front desk. Not that you need or want a telephone when staying here. I went down to breakfast one morning without iPhone, iPad or any other electronic gadget and it felt wonderful to be so disconnected and just sit and have coffee gazing off into the beautiful sun-dappled pond on the backside of the hotel. The rooms here are relatively modest in terms of size but not in terms of luxury with Frette linens, beautifully appointed bathrooms with Waterworks plumbing hardware and Porcher toilets. Breakfast is included in the room rate and the breakfast buffet along with the breakfast entrees are more than enough to get you going in the morning. You can eat in The Restaurant or out on the terrace and it is just heavenly. I had never stayed at this hotel prior to the renovation--I do remember it from days gone by. One reason we were never drawn to it is the lack of beach frontage--never did I know that the private beach a five minute walk away is one of the most spectacular on the east coast. It is completely private either for the Inn and its guests, the Weekapaug Beach Club, and all of the property at the far end of the beach by the Breachway which is owned by a conservation foundation. To say this is unspoiled, pristine beach is not enough to do it justice. The water was amazingly clean and had a beautiful turquoise color reminiscent of a Caribbean beach that I have never seen anywhere else this far north. The one drawback to this beach is that there is a bit of a drop off and the water gets deep very quickly. It may not be the best beach for young children. Service at the hotel could be improved but the hotel is young--only open since last October and they are still undergoing the first year shakedown. The hotel offers some nice perks as part of the overall package. You get a set of tokens to be used for various activities such as using the paddle boats or taking a 50 minute cruise around the pond area. The pantry at the end of the guest room hallways are stocked 24/7 with various goodies including muffins, cookies, soft drinks, water, a coffee machine that brews regular coffee, cappuccino, etc. and salty snacks. The game room has a variety of old fashioned favorites including Scrabble and Monopoly as well as little tables scattered throughout the downstairs area that are self contained checkers and backgammon. One night they had a stargazing event out on the shuffleboard court with three large telescopes brought out for viewing. It was quite an experience to look through those lenses and see the craters of the moon and the ring of Saturn first hand. I don't know any other resort that offers this as part of the overall experience. It is quite special. They have a naturalist on staff and I had the opportunity to speak with him for about half an hour one day. He is a wealth of knowledge particularly about the environmental impacts on the RI coastline over the past century. The Restaurant serves farm to table cuisine which seems to be all the rage these days. I had the butter poached lobster one night and it was decadently delicious. Some of the other entrees were less appealing to me because there were too many competing ingredients--sometimes less is more and I often prefer a more simple preparation. Nonetheless, all of the presentations were gorgeous. This is a place that I plan to return to in season to take advantage of that fabulous beach and the wonderful setting. It's very much like a neighborhood getaway. This is a place that is off the beaten track so if you are looking for nightlife, it's not for you. But if you are looking for a quiet, relaxing, luxurious retreat to recharge your batteries, you won't find a better place.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank anon3200
Daniel H, General Manager at Weekapaug Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay at Weekapaug Inn so much. Your review is very thorough and appreciated. We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back next summer, but might I ad that the area is equally fascinating in the fall and winter. And with our cozy fireplaces to curl up next to you can enjoy your time here even in the colder months.

There are newer reviews for Weekapaug Inn

Reviewed 18 July 2013

The inn is spectacular in many ways.

The location is in one of the most beautiful areas of the United States.

Come a day early and stay at a cheaper nearby location just to explore the southwestern corner of Rhode Island.

The room rates are high enough to justify carefully planning and researching your visit. Assume nothing that you have not verified.

Manage your own expectations.

In hot weather be sure to consider: walking to the beach for a swim in Block Island Sound (called "the Ocean" by the locals), walking generally west until you've had all the walk you can take, stand up paddling (SUP), sailing the beetle cat, kayaking, hanging out at the pool, etc.

Room Tip: Don't be bashful about having the reservations agents explain everything about the rooms you mig...
3  Thank Dr_Bill_Corcoran

Thank you for your comments. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Weekapaug Inn. The area really does have so much to explore and learn about. We hope you will come back and visit us again soon.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

We had a great weekend at the Weekapaug and are looking forward to returning! The staff could not have been more accommodating or helpful. I've rarely felt so well taken care of, no matter how luxurious the hotel or price of the stay. We asked to take a boat ride after the last scheduled trip of the day and they had no problem making it happen. The rooms are small but nice, and regardless, you're so busy enjoying the property and activities that you're rarely in your room. Thanks to the staff at the Weekapaug for a wonderful, relaxing weekend. We'll be back!

1  Thank Lindsay O
Antonia K, General Manager at Weekapaug Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Thank you for your kind comments about your recent stay at the Weekapaug Inn. Your observations about our staff are greatly appreciated, as we take pride in our team and the service we offer. I was also pleased to see you enjoyed the resort activities and we look forward to having you for another relaxing weekend in the future.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

I must clarify that I did not stay at the hotel, I only enjoyed a drink on the upper terrace and walked throughout the facility. My parents have a beach house a stone's throw away on the same pond as the Weekapaug Inn and my husband and I were dying to see it after the full renovation. We had last been there when looking at the property for our wedding some 15 years before when it was in a state of such disrepair and closely resembled the property featured in "The Shining" . Yikes! Well, there was no hint of that anymore, the property was completed gutted. The setting was always stunning, but now there is a facility to match. It feels extremely calming and tranquil and still has a hint of yesteryear as the halls are adorned with beautiful black and white photos of guests at the inn in the 20s, 30s and 40s (and before). The decor and attention to detail is beautiful throughout the interior halls. The service was ok (not great). My husband was told to get his own drinks for us at the bar instead of waiting for the table service because it might be faster. We did not eat at the inn but as the food went by it looked very well presented and we were told by diners nearby that it was very good. There was an acoustic guitarist playing while we enjoyed the final hours of daylight. The drinks were pricey ($15.00 martini and $15.00 glass of Chardonnay) but the view was really, really beautiful.

1  Thank Tomarkettomarket

Thank you for visiting the Weekapaug Inn and we are pleased you found the renovation reminiscent of the Inn’s original charm. In addition, the dining outlets are all open to the public and we hope you will try us for dinner another time. Thank you also for your constructive comments about the bar service as well, and we will certainly address your experience with the team for improvement. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

We went to the clam bake at the Weekapaug Inn on the 4th of July, and it was a perfect evening. The food was excellent, especially the clam chowder and the lobster, and the service was outstanding. The tables were set up on the lawn overlooking the pond, and the children ran around playing happily. The shuffleboard courts were very popular! The highlight of the night was when "George Washington" showed up in a boat on the pond and later landed on shore to shake hands and set off fireworks! Everything was relaxed, fun, and celebratory! I highly recommend for next July 4th; you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Carolyn W

Thank you for choosing the Weekapaug Inn to celebrate your July 4th holiday. We are pleased to read you enjoyed the clambake and the visit from George Washington himself. We look forward to seeing you again next year.

Reviewed 6 July 2013

We recently went to the Weekapaug Inn after staying at the sister hotel, the Ocean House for 2 nights. We are familiar with the area and the Ocean House didn't have availability over the weekend so we decided to try out the new Weekapaug Inn. We were really disappointed - as a nursing mother to a 4 month old baby, a 4 pm check in was a little tricky for me so I called quite a few times to see if the Inn would be able to accommodate us a little earlier . Every time I spoke with someone, I was put on hold and then told that there was nothing they could do. While I understand that a 4 pm check in is standard for them, I would think that they would try their best to accommodate a family with a young baby. Every time I spoke with someone I felt as if I was speaking to a kid in college. I also put in an advance request (about 1 weeks notice) for a babysitter. I followed up with the guest services twice and still did not receive confirmation that I had a babysitter and was told that someone would be in touch. The day before our arrival, I called and was told that someone left me a voicemail confirming a babysitter. Well I didn't receive said voicemail and at that point had made other arrangements. Upon arrival to the inn, we were told that the reception couldn't take us up to our room because she couldn't leave the desk...again didn't really feel like I was talking to a hotel receptionist, more like one of my younger brother's college friends. Our room was TINY...and yes probably coming from the Ocean House it was a bit of a shock. When I had made the reservation - I had asked if the room could fit a crib comfortably and was told yes...comfortably may not have been the best word to describe. I would say cramped. Another less than ideal surprise was that the room didn't have a mini-fridge, which was kind of an issue for a nursing mom/baby situation. I had called the hotel numerous times to ask for an early check in because I am breastfeeding and didn't have anywhere else to go, you would think that in one of these conversations, someone would have brought it to my attention that there wasn't a mini fridge in the room where I could store breast milk. I'm sure plenty of families have run into this issue with young babies - as they eat quite a few meals per day. I think it would be beneficial to the hotel to notify families with young children about this when they are making their reservations. The staff was able to store my milk in their fridge but I had to call them every time I needed to feed my baby a bottle...awkward and annoying. The rooms also don't have telephones and you have to request a television - I get the whole rustic getaway thing but with a babysitter in my room, I was nervous not having a telephone should there be an emergency and the sitter not have cell service, etc. They do have an intercom-style system but not the best idea when you have a baby asleep in the room...The manager, Grace was very apologetic and sweet after we decided to cut our weekend short and check out early but I don't feel that the Inn went out of their way to make us want to come back...ever again. We've stayed in 4-star hotels all over the world and I'd hardly call the Weekapaug Inn a four star experience. I'm sure they are working out their "kinks" but everything felt very amateur at $565/night. All in all, the inn and the setting are beautiful and probably a perfect getaway for a couple but if you're traveling with a family and children - I'd recommend paying up for a larger room or 2-bedroom suite.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Hally S

I am sorry to read of your recent experience at the Inn. Due to it being peak season and high occupancy, we do adhere to a 4:00 check-in time; though we do our best to room guests earlier if we can. As you stated, the Inn is a very different product than the Ocean House, as it is smaller, more traditional, and offers a ‘barefoot elegance’ feel. We will be working to address the service issues that you encountered, as we want all of our guests to feel welcomed and valued. I regret that was not the case during your stay.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

Just returned from a weekend at the Inn. Without question the most beautiful scenic, serene locations in the area. From the time we arrived, we were greeted by friendly valet who without asking bring your bags to your room. The front desk greeted us with sincerity and warmth. We had an outstanding room (Fenway suite) which is located in the building adjacent to the Inn on the 2nd floor overlooking a beautiful Pool, picturesque pond and the distant ocean view. Without hesitation I would book this suite again and again. It has it's own entrance and a large outside deck with Adirondack chairs and a soaking tub. The room is large and comes stocked with complimentary non alcoholic refreshments. The 3rd floor of the main inn has a 24 hour refreshment area available to all guests. In the morning the resident birds and bunnies entertain while having coffee on the deck. The staff is always willing to answer any question happily. Breakfast is included in the room rate and the restaurant is happy to accommodate special requests as I observed when a family of 4 each asked for items not on the menu. The wait staff was gracious and happily accommodated their requests. The staff is for the most part very young and learning the ropes. They do so with a smile always. There are wonderful 'nature' activities for those young and old at this time of year, from crabbing, paddleboard lessons and kayaking to a naturalist who will take you on a beach walk as an example. The beautiful beach is a short walk away and will have you spellbound. The Inn has a small concession area including changing facilities at the beach. We had dinner both nights at The Restaurant at the Inn. The food was prepared well and enjoyed the diversity of offerings. Watch Hill is a short drive away and we enjoyed spending a couple of hours visiting the shops and harbor front. My only complaint is that the weekend came to a close much to fast. I am already viewing the calendar for our next visit and without hesitation recommend The Weekapaug Inn for a relaxing, beautiful getaway with friendly, warm staff.. Our thanks to all of the staff who made our visit so enjoyable.

Room Tip: Fenway Suites have their own private deck and are adjacent to the main inn
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Antonia K, General Manager at Weekapaug Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2013

Thank you for such a complete and positive review. We work very hard to provide each guest exactly the experience that you describe. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Innkeeper

Also consider these accommodations in or near Westerly
Pleasant View Inn
#1 of 8 in Narragansett
Newport Marriott
Newport Marriott
#4 of 21 in Newport

Been to Weekapaug Inn? Share your experiences!