“Very nice, with a couple of problems”
Review of Weekapaug Inn

and 1 more site!
Weekapaug Inn
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Westerly
New York City, New York
“Very nice, with a couple of problems”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Overall my husband and I had a very nice stay. We went to the Weekapaug for our first weekend away from our baby, so we were not thrilled with how many kids were at the pool. The pool is open for membership to families in the community. We weren't able to get in the jacuzzi because it was full of kids both times we went to the pool. With such a small pool area, it's frustrating that it isn't reserved for hotel guests. The other complaint was check-in, which I heard a few others complain about too. 4 PM is a bit late and it would have been nice if they had offered us a place to change so that we could use the property. Once they finally called to let us know our room was ready, we went inside to the front desk. We were then told nevermind, your room isn't quite ready yet. Despite a couple of complaints, we had a very nice stay at the Weekapaug.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank erica l
Antonia K, General Manager at Weekapaug Inn, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
I am glad you shared your experience with us. We are still in our first year of operation and training is ongoing and continuous. I will share your comments and observations with the staff. Regarding the check-in time of 4pm, during the summer months guests tend to arrive early and want to leave late to enjoy the facilities and thus we are not able to offer an early check in on most days. Regarding a place to change while waiting for your room, we do have changing rooms at our BathHouse which is a short walk and right next to the beach. It offers bathrooms/changing rooms and showers. I apologize that you were not made aware of this option. Finally, we appreciate your comments about the pool area and will review our club component in order to make better accommodation for guests at the pool.
I look forward to welcoming you and your husband back in the future.

Innkeeper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
pa
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We loved this place. It was just a short walk to the beach where they carried our chairs and umbrella for us. The pond is also beautiful and is full of happy activity-- clammers, boaters, swimmers, canoes, etc... We rode bikes to Watch Hill and had lunch at the Olympia Tea Room which was pretty good. Boats everywhere and quaint shops made it a nice little adventure. The beds were very comfortable and the room extremely clean. It was so nice not to have to think about anything serious for a few days and have all the details taken care of. We really appreciated that. We stayed in the Fenway suite which was very nice. It could have been more private since the deck overlooks the pool and there is a sunken tub on the deck. The only other issue I has was with a concierge who said her name was Grace. I called en route to the inn to get some restaurant recommendations in order to make a reservation early. Sheess very rude to me. She actually said "do you want me to rattle off a list of restaurants?" She put me on hold 5 times and complained how busy she was. I told her she was very rude and that she clearly had no idea what her job description was ie helping people find their way around an unfamiliar area with advice on restaurants and things to do. I threatened to call her manager but alas did not because, frankly, I was tired and did not feel like dealing with any problems. So I hung up and found a restaurant on my own. For the price we paid for the suite, we certainly did not expect such rudeness.,the rest of the staff was very helpful especially the naturalist who is an interesting addition to the place -- very kind, helpful and knowledgeable. We ate at a great restaurant called Ella's which was truly amazing. Expensive but amazing. Besides other places are charging the same and really could not compare. The chef is extremely talented. Overall, other than the rude concierge, we loved our stay and look forward to staying here again some day. My advice to the managers is to reign in the staff. No one wants to deal with arrogance on a vacation. After all we as customers are keeping you in business.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank jasperusa
Thank you for your comments. I am very sorry for your experience with our guest relations agent. I will be sure to review your comments with the entire staff. I am grateful that this one bad encounter did not tarnish your entire visit. We do hope you will come back and visit us again someday soon.

Paris, France
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This beautiful property is bordering on pretentious because I was advised that I had to wait for my room to be inspected and I arrived way past check in time.! I was kept waiting for half an hour at 5:30 for said room to be inspected. And guess what there was no one inspecting it!! The toilet paper roll was almost empty to boot. I was waiting for nothing. The manager Antonia Korosec ended up ruining what would have been a lovely time by her amazingly rude comments to me: "you were a walk in she spat at me" when I complained. It was so disconcerting to have her be rude to me. This has never happened to me in 30 years of travel. I will not return until Antonia Korosec no longer had tenure at the Weekapaug.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Neartheshore2
Daniel H, General Manager at Weekapaug Inn, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Thank you for your comments, and I apologize that you did not enjoy your experience at the inn. It is our standard to do a thorough inspection of each room by management, after housekeeping has completed its inspection, in order to maintain the high standards that we strive to ensure for every guest. I believe that Ms. Korosec was trying to explain that the reason your room was ready after our normal 4pm check-in time was that you were a ‘walk in’ guest which is an industry term for a guest who arrives without a reservation and wants a room for that very night. That is the reason that a room was not ready until later in the day, as we had to prepare it for arrival as it was not expected to be needed that day, and the hotel was nearly at full occupancy so we had to prioritize guests who did have a reservation. I apologize if the term was confusing or off putting to you.

Regrds,

Daniel A. Hostettler
President & Managing Director
Kingston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 July 2013

And what a wonderful step back it was. This sister property to the nearby Ocean House has been recently renovated and what a renovation it has been. Almost all modern amenities can be found here with the exception of in-room telephones. There is only an intercom between you and the front desk. Not that you need or want a telephone when staying here. I went down to breakfast one morning without iPhone, iPad or any other electronic gadget and it felt wonderful to be so disconnected and just sit and have coffee gazing off into the beautiful sun-dappled pond on the backside of the hotel. The rooms here are relatively modest in terms of size but not in terms of luxury with Frette linens, beautifully appointed bathrooms with Waterworks plumbing hardware and Porcher toilets. Breakfast is included in the room rate and the breakfast buffet along with the breakfast entrees are more than enough to get you going in the morning. You can eat in The Restaurant or out on the terrace and it is just heavenly. I had never stayed at this hotel prior to the renovation--I do remember it from days gone by. One reason we were never drawn to it is the lack of beach frontage--never did I know that the private beach a five minute walk away is one of the most spectacular on the east coast. It is completely private either for the Inn and its guests, the Weekapaug Beach Club, and all of the property at the far end of the beach by the Breachway which is owned by a conservation foundation. To say this is unspoiled, pristine beach is not enough to do it justice. The water was amazingly clean and had a beautiful turquoise color reminiscent of a Caribbean beach that I have never seen anywhere else this far north. The one drawback to this beach is that there is a bit of a drop off and the water gets deep very quickly. It may not be the best beach for young children. Service at the hotel could be improved but the hotel is young--only open since last October and they are still undergoing the first year shakedown. The hotel offers some nice perks as part of the overall package. You get a set of tokens to be used for various activities such as using the paddle boats or taking a 50 minute cruise around the pond area. The pantry at the end of the guest room hallways are stocked 24/7 with various goodies including muffins, cookies, soft drinks, water, a coffee machine that brews regular coffee, cappuccino, etc. and salty snacks. The game room has a variety of old fashioned favorites including Scrabble and Monopoly as well as little tables scattered throughout the downstairs area that are self contained checkers and backgammon. One night they had a stargazing event out on the shuffleboard court with three large telescopes brought out for viewing. It was quite an experience to look through those lenses and see the craters of the moon and the ring of Saturn first hand. I don't know any other resort that offers this as part of the overall experience. It is quite special. They have a naturalist on staff and I had the opportunity to speak with him for about half an hour one day. He is a wealth of knowledge particularly about the environmental impacts on the RI coastline over the past century. The Restaurant serves farm to table cuisine which seems to be all the rage these days. I had the butter poached lobster one night and it was decadently delicious. Some of the other entrees were less appealing to me because there were too many competing ingredients--sometimes less is more and I often prefer a more simple preparation. Nonetheless, all of the presentations were gorgeous. This is a place that I plan to return to in season to take advantage of that fabulous beach and the wonderful setting. It's very much like a neighborhood getaway. This is a place that is off the beaten track so if you are looking for nightlife, it's not for you. But if you are looking for a quiet, relaxing, luxurious retreat to recharge your batteries, you won't find a better place.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank anon3200
We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay at Weekapaug Inn so much. Your review is very thorough and appreciated. We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back next summer, but might I ad that the area is equally fascinating in the fall and winter. And with our cozy fireplaces to curl up next to you can enjoy your time here even in the colder months.

Windsor, CT
Reviewed 18 July 2013

The inn is spectacular in many ways.

The location is in one of the most beautiful areas of the United States.

Come a day early and stay at a cheaper nearby location just to explore the southwestern corner of Rhode Island.

The room rates are high enough to justify carefully planning and researching your visit. Assume nothing that you have not verified.

Manage your own expectations.

In hot weather be sure to consider: walking to the beach for a swim in Block Island Sound (called "the Ocean" by the locals), walking generally west until you've had all the walk you can take, stand up paddling (SUP), sailing the beetle cat, kayaking, hanging out at the pool, etc.

Room Tip: Don't be bashful about having the reservations agents explain everything about the rooms you mig...
3 Thank Dr_Bill_Corcoran
Thank you for your comments. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Weekapaug Inn. The area really does have so much to explore and learn about. We hope you will come back and visit us again soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We had a great weekend at the Weekapaug and are looking forward to returning! The staff could not have been more accommodating or helpful. I've rarely felt so well taken care of, no matter how luxurious the hotel or price of the stay. We asked to take a boat ride after the last scheduled trip of the day and they had no problem making it happen. The rooms are small but nice, and regardless, you're so busy enjoying the property and activities that you're rarely in your room. Thanks to the staff at the Weekapaug for a wonderful, relaxing weekend. We'll be back!

1 Thank Lindsay O
Antonia K, General Manager at Weekapaug Inn, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Thank you for your kind comments about your recent stay at the Weekapaug Inn. Your observations about our staff are greatly appreciated, as we take pride in our team and the service we offer. I was also pleased to see you enjoyed the resort activities and we look forward to having you for another relaxing weekend in the future.

Marblehead, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I must clarify that I did not stay at the hotel, I only enjoyed a drink on the upper terrace and walked throughout the facility. My parents have a beach house a stone's throw away on the same pond as the Weekapaug Inn and my husband and I were dying to see it after the full renovation. We had last been there when looking at the property for our wedding some 15 years before when it was in a state of such disrepair and closely resembled the property featured in "The Shining" . Yikes! Well, there was no hint of that anymore, the property was completed gutted. The setting was always stunning, but now there is a facility to match. It feels extremely calming and tranquil and still has a hint of yesteryear as the halls are adorned with beautiful black and white photos of guests at the inn in the 20s, 30s and 40s (and before). The decor and attention to detail is beautiful throughout the interior halls. The service was ok (not great). My husband was told to get his own drinks for us at the bar instead of waiting for the table service because it might be faster. We did not eat at the inn but as the food went by it looked very well presented and we were told by diners nearby that it was very good. There was an acoustic guitarist playing while we enjoyed the final hours of daylight. The drinks were pricey ($15.00 martini and $15.00 glass of Chardonnay) but the view was really, really beautiful.

1 Thank Tomarkettomarket
Thank you for visiting the Weekapaug Inn and we are pleased you found the renovation reminiscent of the Inn’s original charm. In addition, the dining outlets are all open to the public and we hope you will try us for dinner another time. Thank you also for your constructive comments about the bar service as well, and we will certainly address your experience with the team for improvement. We hope to see you again soon.

Innkeeper
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westerly
Pleasant View Inn
#3 of 21 in Newport
Newport Marriott
Newport Marriott
#4 of 21 in Newport

Been to Weekapaug Inn? Share your experiences!