“Inn on the Lake”

Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Westerly
New York City, New York
“Inn on the Lake”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My husband and I just enjoyed an amazing, relaxing, and romantic weekend on the Rhode Island coast. The rooms were fresh, clean, and comfortable. The staff was friendly, helpful, and seemed to genuinely enjoy their jobs. The restaurant was incredible, especially the lobster hash and cobb salad! Whether, we sat on the beach, worked out in the gym, or lazily played checkers and shuffle board, we felt like we were thousands of miles from the traffic of everyday life. We'll be heading back there next year and even bringing our kids with us!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Connecticut
Reviewed 18 August 2013

My wife and I just enjoyed a long weekend here; it's on the Rhode Island Atlantic coast, just 200 or so yards from the Atlantic Ocean. Well appointed, clean, comfortable rooms and lots of public rooms, so that you can sit and read or enjoy a drink. So many activities, for which guests receive an envelope of "tokens" upon arrival. Each guest can use his tokens in the way he or she thinks best, we both enjoyed kayaking. We swam in the excellent hotel pool and equally enjoyed the ocean beach, where chairs from the inn and umbrella were available for us. The staff were dedicated, and universally pleasant. But the piece de resistence was the food, prepared by Chef Jennifer Backman, who we were told is just 31. Simply outstanding, using the best ingredients, with a sense of harmony and color as well as superb taste. There is no tipping except for dinner, and it's a relief to have an amount added to the daily bill in lieu of tipping. Service was so pleasant; many of the staff were college students here for a summer job. We could not have been more pleased and will definitely return.

Room Tip: Reserve for the hotel, reserve for meals. Without a reservation, there is every chance that you...
1 Thank upintheairglobally
Daniel H, General Manager at Weekapaug Inn, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Thank you so much for your comments. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much and hope you will return to visit us again very soon. The fall and winter are beautiful and interesting times to visit the Rhode Island shore with a variety of birds and our four wood-burning fireplaces will keep you warm even if the weather outside is chilly.

Bronx, New York
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Although Weekapaug Inn was built in the late 19th C it apparently was shuttered in 2007 and reopened, much renovated, just this year. The property is spectacular, located right against the beautiful southern Rhode Island beach at the end of a very quiet road. The staff are young, professional, energetic, and extremely friendly without being intrusive. Rooms are not enormous but very well appointed, comfortable, and elegant. The list of activities here is robust. The nearby private beach (just a few steps walk) is gorgeous and friendly staff bring you chairs, umbrellas, etc. There are many water sports, bikes for use, naturalist activities, and even a wonderful opportunity to look through their GPS-guided telescope (we saw Saturn, rings clearly in place, through it one night). The restaurant for dinner was outstanding. All in all, my only concern is that this place is so good that it will become impossible to get a reservation. We of course made ours for next summer right away.

1 Thank Jack G
Antonia K, General Manager at Weekapaug Inn, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Thank you for such wonderful comments. We strive to keep our guests’ experience relaxed and abundant with activities and great food. We look forward to welcoming you back next summer.

Rhode Island
Reviewed 9 August 2013

My husband and I decided to drive to westerly to check out the inn for an upcoming family gathering. The valet could not have been more welcoming! He advised us to order drinks downstairs and bring them to the upstairs terrace for the best view. Matthew, the bartender, was outstanding. Patient and attentive, he mixed a great drink and carried them upstairs and seated us. The view is lovely and the cushioned wicker seating makes you want to curl up with a book. The downside is the confused young waitstaff upstairs. No one brought a menu and it was confusing as to whether they really wanted us to eat. We ended up with baked oysters which obviously sat around for awhile before they figured out who ordered them. After this appetizer, we decided not to opt for dinner. Since I loved the atmosphere and drinks, I plan to try lunch on my next visit. Kudos again to the valet and Matthew the bartender. The grounds looked amazing and the pool did not seem crowded at all. Many folks were paddle boarding, kayaking or swimming in the pond too. Looked like a very relaxing place to stay, especially with families.

Room Tip: Did not stay.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JulietRhodeIsland
Antonia K, General Manager at Weekapaug Inn, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. My apologies for the confusion upstairs, we have just made some changes and have decided to serve only drinks upstairs. All meals will be served in our main dining outlet The Restaurant and a more casual menu will be offered in the bar area. We believe this will improve our service and the enjoyment of our guests.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Overall my husband and I had a very nice stay. We went to the Weekapaug for our first weekend away from our baby, so we were not thrilled with how many kids were at the pool. The pool is open for membership to families in the community. We weren't able to get in the jacuzzi because it was full of kids both times we went to the pool. With such a small pool area, it's frustrating that it isn't reserved for hotel guests. The other complaint was check-in, which I heard a few others complain about too. 4 PM is a bit late and it would have been nice if they had offered us a place to change so that we could use the property. Once they finally called to let us know our room was ready, we went inside to the front desk. We were then told nevermind, your room isn't quite ready yet. Despite a couple of complaints, we had a very nice stay at the Weekapaug.

3 Thank erica l
I am glad you shared your experience with us. We are still in our first year of operation and training is ongoing and continuous. I will share your comments and observations with the staff. Regarding the check-in time of 4pm, during the summer months guests tend to arrive early and want to leave late to enjoy the facilities and thus we are not able to offer an early check in on most days. Regarding a place to change while waiting for your room, we do have changing rooms at our BathHouse which is a short walk and right next to the beach. It offers bathrooms/changing rooms and showers. I apologize that you were not made aware of this option. Finally, we appreciate your comments about the pool area and will review our club component in order to make better accommodation for guests at the pool.
I look forward to welcoming you and your husband back in the future.

pa
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We loved this place. It was just a short walk to the beach where they carried our chairs and umbrella for us. The pond is also beautiful and is full of happy activity-- clammers, boaters, swimmers, canoes, etc... We rode bikes to Watch Hill and had lunch at the Olympia Tea Room which was pretty good. Boats everywhere and quaint shops made it a nice little adventure. The beds were very comfortable and the room extremely clean. It was so nice not to have to think about anything serious for a few days and have all the details taken care of. We really appreciated that. We stayed in the Fenway suite which was very nice. It could have been more private since the deck overlooks the pool and there is a sunken tub on the deck. The only other issue I has was with a concierge who said her name was Grace. I called en route to the inn to get some restaurant recommendations in order to make a reservation early. Sheess very rude to me. She actually said "do you want me to rattle off a list of restaurants?" She put me on hold 5 times and complained how busy she was. I told her she was very rude and that she clearly had no idea what her job description was ie helping people find their way around an unfamiliar area with advice on restaurants and things to do. I threatened to call her manager but alas did not because, frankly, I was tired and did not feel like dealing with any problems. So I hung up and found a restaurant on my own. For the price we paid for the suite, we certainly did not expect such rudeness.,the rest of the staff was very helpful especially the naturalist who is an interesting addition to the place -- very kind, helpful and knowledgeable. We ate at a great restaurant called Ella's which was truly amazing. Expensive but amazing. Besides other places are charging the same and really could not compare. The chef is extremely talented. Overall, other than the rude concierge, we loved our stay and look forward to staying here again some day. My advice to the managers is to reign in the staff. No one wants to deal with arrogance on a vacation. After all we as customers are keeping you in business.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank jasperusa
Thank you for your comments. I am very sorry for your experience with our guest relations agent. I will be sure to review your comments with the entire staff. I am grateful that this one bad encounter did not tarnish your entire visit. We do hope you will come back and visit us again someday soon.

Paris, France
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This beautiful property is bordering on pretentious because I was advised that I had to wait for my room to be inspected and I arrived way past check in time.! I was kept waiting for half an hour at 5:30 for said room to be inspected. And guess what there was no one inspecting it!! The toilet paper roll was almost empty to boot. I was waiting for nothing. The manager Antonia Korosec ended up ruining what would have been a lovely time by her amazingly rude comments to me: "you were a walk in she spat at me" when I complained. It was so disconcerting to have her be rude to me. This has never happened to me in 30 years of travel. I will not return until Antonia Korosec no longer had tenure at the Weekapaug.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Neartheshore2
Daniel H, General Manager at Weekapaug Inn, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Thank you for your comments, and I apologize that you did not enjoy your experience at the inn. It is our standard to do a thorough inspection of each room by management, after housekeeping has completed its inspection, in order to maintain the high standards that we strive to ensure for every guest. I believe that Ms. Korosec was trying to explain that the reason your room was ready after our normal 4pm check-in time was that you were a ‘walk in’ guest which is an industry term for a guest who arrives without a reservation and wants a room for that very night. That is the reason that a room was not ready until later in the day, as we had to prepare it for arrival as it was not expected to be needed that day, and the hotel was nearly at full occupancy so we had to prioritize guests who did have a reservation. I apologize if the term was confusing or off putting to you.

Regrds,

Daniel A. Hostettler
President & Managing Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westerly
Pleasant View Inn
Gurney's Newport Resort & Marina
Inn at Mystic
Inn at Mystic
#4 of 13 in Mystic

Been to Weekapaug Inn? Share your experiences!