“Beautiful”
Review of The Beaufort Inn

The Beaufort Inn
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Beaufort
Reviewed 25 May 2014

The Beaufort Inn was a wonderful place to stay. The first thing I noticed when we walked onto the grounds from the parking lot was the smell of jasmine. When we walked into the courtyard garden it was beautiful with jasmine growing everywhere. Our room was very pretty and had its own private porch. There are also cottages surrounding the garden. The inn has a restaurant which serves a free breakfast. The staff were very friendly and knowledgeable regarding the surrounding area.
Beaufort is a beautiful town with very nice shops and excellent restaurants. We will definitely go back and will stay at the inn.

Room Tip: I would recommend staying in a room that overlooks the garden as the view is beautiful and serene.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David S
Sandra C, General Manager at The Beaufort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

It appears that your timing was perfect! For about two weeks each Spring The Beaufort Inn is awash with Confederate Jasmine. It is amazing that those little white star shaped flowers can emit such an intoxicating fragrance! I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed your porch and our many courtyards. We love to encourage guests to sit and relax and enjoy nature's show. Beaufort is a special place steeped in history and with much to offer visitors. I hope your return visit will bring you back to The Beaufort Inn. The Fall brings with it pecans from the very large tree in our Garden Courtyard!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,294)

Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

For my fiancés 30th bday we decided to take a boat trip from Charleston to Beaufort, SC to explore a new city! We docked at the city marina a short 3 minute walk from the Beaufort Inn. The Greyhound Flats where we stayed (a property owned by the Beaufort Inn) is right across the street and is amazing! The rooms sleep 6 people are seen newly renovated. My fiancé was thoroughly impressed by the size and modernness of the room! The only downfall is that the room has a slight musty smell. It's definitely something you can get use to. The beds are super comfy, the shower is amazing, and these flats are located in the heart of all the restaurants/shops! They have a great military discount so don't forget to mention that! We would definitely stay here again!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

What a wonderful 30th birthday celebration for your fiancé! Beaufort is a special town located on the Intracoastal Waterway and The Beaufort Inn, as you described, is located in the heart of the Historic District close to great shopping and restaurants. The Greyhound Flats are unique accommodations - sleek, modern and spacious amidst traditional surroundings. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay. We often have guests arrive by boat and spend the night - the best of two exciting adventures! I appreciate your feedback about the "mustiness" in the room. Dehumidifiers have recently been installed and we already notice a big improvement in the room quality. You pointed out that we offer a military discount. Beaufort is a military town and we do or best to support the military and their families with a 20% discount off our Best Available Rate. I hope you visit again - if you decide to drive we are only 1 hour from Charleston!

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Impressive grounds and we had an impeccable room and restroom, we had room #11. The Beaufort Inn is so conveniently located to the water front, shops, restaurants, gorgeous historic houses, churches and the like within short walking distance. The service is outstanding, breakfast is first class... from fine china to the chef prepared delicious foods. After coming back from a warm afternoon stroll in town, you can help yourself to the refreshing iced tea and pastries provided in the lobby, and enjoy them while sitting in the Zen Garden or porch. The refreshments are always different every afternoon!! (from 5-6 PM).
The personnel is excellent, very friendly, warm and accommodating. We HIGHLY recommend this Inn, you will have a memorable experience!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jen M

I so appreciate your wonderful review of The Beaufort Inn and Beaufort, our wonderful historic town by the sea! You described perfectly our great location and special amenities, including the Southern-style breakfast, afternoon snack and our many courtyards and grounds. I am so pleased to know that you experienced the hospitality we strive to deliver and that it made your trip memorable. There is much to see and do in Beaufort - I hope you will make a return visit for one of our many festivals and events.

Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed at the Beaufort Inn. The staff were simply amazing. Very polite and helpful. We stayed in a luxury king suite. The room was awesome! The bed and pillows were great. The overall appearance of the room was very elegant. I haven't stayed many places with a nicer room.

With all that said, the breakfast did not meet my expectations. It wasn't much more than you would expect at a Hampton Inn. The arrangement was a little sloppy as well. To too it all off and probably the main reason for my comment was the appearance of the Chef who made my eggs. He was very nice, but had an uncovered scab on his arm. It appears he may have burned himself a few days prior and it was healing. It just didn't seem very sanitary. The fruit was the best part of the breakfast. I hope this post helps them improve.

I was advised that the inn is owned and operated by a different person than the restaurant so maybe that explains the differences.

However, I would recommend this place because of the accommodations and the convenience to the waterfront as well as other attractions.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Derekac78

Thank you for taking your time to write a review. I appreciate knowing about your Southern Graces Bistro breakfast concerns and do welcome your comments about our terrific Beaufort Inn staff and accommodations. I've shared your review with Chef Hewitt. Southern Graces Bistro is a valued partner and an important part of our guest offering. He assures me that the Bistro staff will receive additional training about workplace safety as well as the appropriate bandaging protocol, if needed, when serving guests. During our meeting we also discussed ideas for new additions to the breakfast menu that are in keeping with guest expectations and our desire to offer an excellent Southern-style breakfast. I sincerely value and highly regard both the positive and the construction feedback - it offers insight into what guests believe are important and gives us a road map for improvement (as you stated). I hope you will one day make a return visit to see our progress.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

The Beaufort Inn was all that I anticipated from the photos and reviews on the Internet. My wife and I stayed there for five nights and we had a wonderful relaxing and enjoyable sojourn.
The Inn is ideally located close to the historic downtown and the Beaufort River. The room we had #8 was very spacious, extremely clean and well looked after, Everything was in immaculate condition and the bed, a large king size, was so comfortable that sleep was easy.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main Inn and I expect every room there would be fine. The surrounding cottages also...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lesrobling
Sandra C, General Manager at The Beaufort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

I am so pleased you enjoyed staying in the Smith Wallace House, the lovely Victorian that is the most notable of our many historic buildings. Your room is one of our Historic King accommodations and one of my favorites! Staff will be so pleased to know that you noticed the attention to room quality we strive every day to achieve. Thank you for your very kind review. I do hope you will visit us again - and stay in one of our other 33 other wonderful rooms!

Reviewed 5 May 2014

As others have said, Beaufort Inn really is a great base for enjoying a day in Beaufort, as it is just a block away from the waterfront and within walking distance of many beautiful old homes, churches, etc. The breakfast was fabulous, the staff was exceptionally friendly, and the outdoor areas are perfect for enjoying a private, moonlit drink with someone special--or a group of people! We used the TA deal to book one of the four Port Republic rooms, which are in the small cottages immediately next door to the main inn and have been converted into duplex suites. It was plenty spacious with a living area (fridge, bar, TV, sofa), a large bathroom, king bedroom (also with a TV), front porch with seating area, and back exit to the inn courtyards. My only complaint is that the Port Republic cottages are not the most quiet--we could hear someone next door snoring through the wall at night, and despite the fact that in the evening Port Republic St. was all but deserted, on a weekday morning there was all kinds of noisy traffic, which was exacerbated by the metal plate in the road right outside the Port Republic rooms. I doubt this is an issue with most of the main inn or garden cottage rooms which do not front the street.

Room Tip: Port Republic cottages face the street, so are not the most quiet!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CRSM
Sandra C, General Manager at The Beaufort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Thank you for staying with us and for acting upon our TripAdvisor promotion. Guest enjoy the Port Republic Cottages for the accommodations you described and generally find them very relaxing and quiet. I regret that unusual noises impacted your stay which must have occurred right after Beaufort had a lot of rain and we experienced a power outage that required the removal and re installation of the metal grate you mentioned. I am pleased to report that our friends at South Carolina Electric & Gas Company have corrected the problem with the metal plate and that Port Republic Street has been returned to its quiet charm. We offer many different accommodations a lot of them facing garden courtyards where all you hear are bird songs and the tinkle of the fountain. I do hope you will make a return visit.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Everything people say about the Beaufort Inn is true: beautifully maintained, centrally located, lovely rooms, all the amenities. Plus, in our case, service above and beyond. We arrived to find that a computer glitch had messed up our reservations. The young women at the front desk couldn't find our reservation. On her way to settle another guest she apparently told the manager of the problem, so that before she returned the manager (Sandra Chavez) had come out, owned the problem, found us a room at a lovely inn nearby, comped us one night's cost and arranged a room at the Beaufort for us for the next night. What might have been a terrible experience turned out to be fine, and cemented the Beaufort's reputation.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank piotzar
Sandra C, General Manager at The Beaufort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

You were the most gracious guests! The circumstances surrounding your visit to The Beaufort Inn brings to mind a quote, "when life hands you lemons, make lemonade!". Thank you for your kind remarks.. We are committed to guest satisfaction and I am so glad to know that we succeeded in light of the mishap with your reservation. I know my staff will appreciate that you noticed and acknowledged their effort to provide notable accommodations and a memorable experience. I do hope you will visit us again!