“Great time at the Beaufort Inn!!”
Review of The Beaufort Inn

The Beaufort Inn
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Beaufort
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Great time at the Beaufort Inn!!”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My wife and I wanted to visit Historic Beaufort. The inn is "in character" for the area. It is located centrally, within walking distance to Bay Street, the water, many shops and restaurants. The room was spacious and furnished in period decor. The bathroom was also large with a claw foot tub and a shower with a rain shower head. The rooms on the second floor were similar and also had a porch with a fan. The service was excellent. The breakfast offered included eggs made to order, meat, grits, fruit and pastry. What more could you want? We will definitely visit Beaufort and stay and the inn again.

Room Tip: Try to get one in the cottage. The rooms in the main building are a bit cheaper, but also smaller.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Sandra C, General Manager at The Beaufort Inn, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Hi Maury F,
I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay at The Beaufort Inn and that you noticed the attention to the historic details as well as the modern amenities we offer in our accommodations. Many of our eleven buildings that make up the Inn are historically significant. The most notable is probably our Rhett Cottage as it was the Law Office of Edmund Rhett who contributed to drafting the South Carolina Articles of Secession. The renovation of this building was recently honored by the Historic Beaufort Foundation. The Garden Cottages that you described are a guest favorite. Very often I see guests sitting on their porch overlooking the Garden Courtyard and enjoying a glass of wine or reading a good book. As you said "what more could you want?" I look forward to your next visit!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Ithaca, NY
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Beautiful Inn, well maintained, good service, close to historic downtown and waterfront. Generous and delicious breakfasts. We also had dinner in the inn, which was elegant and tasty. We were very pleased with our stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Hi Miss Carol K,
I appreciate your kind review and am especially happy the service from Beaufort Inn and Southern Graces Bistro staff met with your expectations. We work everyday to offer guests The Quintessential Lowcountry Experience - from guest interaction, to food quality and service, to the presentation of our grounds, rooms and many buildings and cottages - we strive to create a welcoming environment to make special memories. Please come back and visit!
Apex, NC
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I had made reservations at a nearby hotel and realized it wasn't the experience I hoped for. The Beaufort Inn was able to fit me in last minute and were so gracious! What a large and beautiful bed and breakfast! We stayed in an updated Luxury King room that was huge! The shared porch and large bathroom were especially nice. The bed was the best asset. The comfort was perfect. We were there for a wedding and two wedding parties were staying there. I was prepared for noise at night but our room was completely quiet at night. Breakfast was amazing and everyone was so friendly. The chef made omelettes to order and upside down french toast which was amazing! They also catered the food at the wedding which was phenomenal as well!
The only recommendations I would make would be a full size mirror and mini-frig.

Room Tip: We stayed in the snowy egret in one of the back cottages and I can't imagine a bad room amongst...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Sandra C, General Manager at The Beaufort Inn, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Hi Gators 1! Thank you for such a wonderful review! You described so well The Beaufort Inn experience - comfortable and pleasing accommodations, a scrumptious breakfast, relaxing porches and outdoor space and friendly and pleasant staff to care for your needs. All of this made more special when you are creating special moments in life like the wedding you mentioned! We value and act on guest feedback and I want you to know that we are currently making plans to install a mini-frig in every guest room. I will also look into making sure every room has a full length mirror. Thank you again for your review and I do hope when you return to Beaufort you will again choose The Beaufort Inn!
piqua
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My husband and I just returned from a few nights at this great inn. It is located perfectly for a walk to the shopping area, some nice dining, beautiful old homes and a waterfront park. We were well cared for by all the staff and enjoyed a very yummy breakfast each morning. We loved all the little garden areas and the porch on our building was a great way to enjoy our morning coffee. Each evening we relaxed in the Zen garden. I would return to this inn and suggest it highly to others.

Room Tip: The only room I visited was the one we had but this facility was so nice I'm sure every room is...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Linda H. - I appreciate that you took the time to write such a nice review about our staff and your stay at The Beaufort Inn. From your review it appears that you explored and enjoyed the many courtyards. People are often so surprised and pleased to find these hideaways among the many cottages and houses that make up the Inn's accommodations. The Zen Garden you mentioned is a guest favorite, especially during cool evenings when the fire pit keeps you toasty warm! Please come back and visit again and bring some friends!
Lexington, SC
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Loved this place. Quiet and convenient to nearby shops and restaurants. Beautiful large room. Comfortable bed. Breakfast was excellent. Loved the cooked to order omelet! All staff were very helpful. Would love to come back.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi "Debbie" - Thank you for sharing your positive experience at The Beaufort Inn with others. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your accommodations and breakfast and found our location in the Historic District so convenient to restaurants and shopping. Beaufort has become a favorite destination, most recently being named by Fodor's as one of the top ten best small towns in the United States! The secret of our quaint and welcoming town is now public! I do hope you will visit again.
Summerville, South Carolina
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Bad management , Our air conditioning went out around midnight. There is no one working over night so my friend I and I spent the night on the porch. Our room was 80+ degrees. Our room cost $324.00 a night and no one even said they were sorry. It has really bad management. They never answer the phone or return your calls, one young lady Taylor does it all. Answers the phone, delivers ice and food from restaurant and checks you in. I would never go back. Lillian

Room Tip: No airconditiong bring a fan
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Lillian M
Sandra C, General Manager at The Beaufort Inn, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Prior to reading your review on Trip Advisor I was unaware of the difficulties you experienced and described in your review and in your email message to me. You and I spoke when you made your reservation and I completely understand your dissatisfaction and it is warranted. I am very concerned that you did not receive the quality of service you expected and deserve as a guest of The Beaufort Inn.

My request to speak with you is to express my regret and to apologize for the circumstances that negatively impacted your stay. We have many "safety net" procedures in place to ensure we can respond to guest needs for service regardless of the time of day. These include,
the use of an after hours call center, an on call maintenance technician and maintenance work order processes.

We use an after hours call center to answer guest calls when the Guest Services desk is not available. No matter the time or day, when a guest makes a call and it is answered by our call center. I or an assigned member of my staff receives a call and an email and we take needed action. Regrettably this process did not work when you called the front desk after midnight to report the HVAC challenge. Had it worked I would have received a phone call and would have dispatched a maintenance technician who would have arrived to assess the situation. At a minimum arrangements would have been made to accommodate you in another room in the event the problem persisted and could not be remedied.

Also, I am concerned that I did not get your email message or information from my staff that you asked to speak to me. I would not have ignored your message, good or constructive. And whenever a guest requests my attention my staff is instructed to text or call me. This was an oversight. This matter has been addressed with my staff, who as you've observed are very good at their jobs and will ensure that future requests adhere to procedure.

We strive every day to create a positive and memorable guest experience. With all that we have in place to accomplish this,it would appear that we failed in many ways to serve you and your friend. As a result of your experience I have reviewed all processes with each responsible party to ensure we can deliver our service promise to guests. Your feedback, while difficult to read does help us improve. And as a result we've made improvements to our call coverage process, internal communications procedures and maintenance work order processes.

I would very much appreciate hearing from you. It is important to us that we have an opportunity to demonstrate to you that we can deliver the level of service you expect and deserve as a guest of The Beaufort Inn.
Columbia, SC
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

You can't ask for a better location and the many different kinds of accommodation are beautiful. The courtyard is especially beautiful, with lush plantings around a red brick courtyard, and soft lighting at night. Four of us stayed in the Fisher House, where we each had a bedroom (two with four-poster beds) and shared two very large, nicely equipped bathrooms. Those rooms were everything we had hoped for, and we also loved the front porch (with a view of a parking lot and one pretty residential street). But we were surprised that something called a 'house' had no kitchen, not even a kitchenette. There was a microwave and a minifridge in an entryway, that also held a game table and some bookcases. The room had one love seat and one easy chair, so they have tried to make this into a a living area, but it was a bit of a fizzle--with only one window, the room is dark, plus the microwave is unusable because the cord is too short to reach the outlet. Granted, the very gracious staff would no doubt have done something to correct this if we had called it to their attention, but in my view, that is the kind of detail they should have noticed and fixed themselves.

We found the quality of the food rather hit or miss. Dinner was excellent. Breakfast was disappointing. The staff member taking us to our rooms had praised the French toast and freshly-made omelets, but neither was available the next morning on a buffet set up rather awkwardly in the dining area. When the chef asked if everything was to our satisfaction, I expressed disappointment over no French toast as promised. His response was to lecture me on the difficulties of preparing so many breakfasts and bringing them to the Beaufort Inn. He was at some pains to make sure I knew the catering firm was not part of the Inn. I don't know what the story is about all that, but it was rather off-putting.

Would I stay again? Absolutely, the place and the INN staff are lovely. Ashley was a dear and helped with tips for restaurants in town. But I think I will try one of the courtyard rooms next time. They have balconies overlooking the beautiful courtyard. And I will know not to expect much from breakfast.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends