This stately old house, despite some obvious modernization efforts, has maintained a lot of its antebellum atmosphere, from its grand facade and the pillars, the heart pine floors, to the multiple verandahs, this home really gave me the feeling of staying at a home rather than a commercial run establishment. Here are the pros and cons:
1. great antebellum ambience, from what can be seen the floor is still the original heart pine floor (some boards uneven due to house settling), high ceilings (not good with measurements but seems like they're at least 14 feet high)
2. very clean room and comfortable bed (we stayed in the Ballroom)
3. keurig coffee maker available 24/7
4. common areas tastefully and homely decorated.
5. about 1.5 hour to Charleston or Savannah, a good in between place if you want to go to both cities and the best thing about its location is that it's about 50 minutes to Rose Hill Plantation in Bluffington.
1. peeling paint and plaster by stairway
2. rain shower head making for very low water pressure flow and I ended up taking a longer shower
3. modern bathroom decor that aesthetically did not go well with the room or rest of house
Clarification on the 3 star rating for service and that's due to our limited interaction with staff and innkeepers
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Federal style antebellum mansion located on the water of the South Carolina Intracoastal Waterway,less than an hour North from Savannah/Hilton Head Airport and one hour fifteen minutes South of the Charleston International Airport. Ten beautifully decorated rooms overlooking the water or the courtyard, each with private bathrooms, some with private patios/porches. Several suites available. The inn is located in the historic district of Beaufort, SC which has been the setting for many movies. Walk to shops, restaurants, museums, art galleries and more. Meet the owners and other guests while enjoying complimentary wine, beer, soft drinks and tempting appetizers each evening in the parlor. A generous, home cooked breakfast is served each morning in the bright conservatory. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Cuthbert House Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cuthbert House Hotel Beaufort