“I can't praise it enough!”
Review of Cuthbert House Inn

Cuthbert House Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Beaufort B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I stayed here as the guest of the Beaufort International Film Festival, so I'm not sure of the rates, but it really was the best B&B I've ever stayed at. Everything was first-class! The location is spectacular for beauty, convenient for shopping, restaurants and the films. You can walk to everything!

The owners, Mary Anne and Jeff, have a social from 5-6 and all of the guests have the opportunity to kick back with a glass of wine and snacks, share details about their trips and get to know one another. Breakfast is equally social, and delicious.

I was very pleased with my large room, which was wheelchair accessible (not that I needed it but I bet lots of B&Bs aren't) and when I remarked at how big it was, the told me it was one of the smallest rooms! The room had a small fridge, coffee pot, lots of nice extras and the bed was super comfy. The location was very quiet!

I would recommend this place to anyone, especially history lovers, as the house itself has a rich history which the owners have carefully preserved. A+

Room Tip: The Courtyard Room is wheelchair accessible.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Ginsugal
There are newer reviews for Cuthbert House Inn

Reviewed 11 January 2014

We stayed at the Cuthbert Inn for my son's graduation from boot camp. We left the Inn quite early in the morning, two of the three morning of our stay. The staff of the Inn left us a wonderful basket of breakfast goodies that we were able to take to Family Day and share with our son after his motivational run. The 2nd morning they provided sausage biscuits, mini quiches and fruit for us to eat before we left for the graduation and a goodies for our son. The social hour every evening was perfect time to reconnect with family that came for the graduation. Jeff, Mary Ann, Brandon and Yvonne are all gracious, fun and entertaining. Every one went above and beyond to make our stay wonderful. The Inn is beautiful, the staff goes above and beyond to provided excellent service and the food is delicious. I would highly recommend a stay here and have already planned my next visit.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are beautiful, some have fire places and claw foot tubs!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Earthlingdotcom MUST be from another planet. Coincidentally, we stayed at the Cuthbert House that very same weekend, Our experience was TOTALLY different. We found the accommodations to be fantastic. Jeff was one of the most gracious and sincere people we have ever met. His desire to accommodate was genuine and appreciated, as my wife was on a bland diet. For the record, we did not call in advance and request any special foods, nor did we think it appropriate to do so.

If a host is offering wine and cheese, should a guest complain because the wine or cheese served isn't to his or her liking? The Cuthbert House is a beautiful Bed AND Breakfast. It is not like those Ford commercials, which would speculate about what it would be like to go to a Bed OR Breakfast. If Earthlingdotcom wanted to leave early, before the scheduled breakfast times, that was their prerogative. To even ask for a refund because they planned to leave before the breakfast was to be served is ridiculous. It's a Bed and Breakfast, not a 24 hour Diner. Even the hotel chains that offer breakfasts offer them between certain hours. Would Earthlingdotcom ask for a discount from the Holiday Inn Express because they were leaving before breakfast? ABSURD

It just goes to show that you just can't please everybody. It is sad when someone disparages the hard work of someone else and Jeff and Mary Anne, the Innkeepers, don't deserve the criticism and the review of Easthlingdotcom.

We not only thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Cuthbert House Inn, we are actually looking forward to going there again. Truth be told, at the evening wine and cheese gathering, Jeff told the story of his dealing with Earthlingdoncom and the guests in the parlor laughed at their foolishness. Not one person in the room thought it would be appropriate to request a refund for leaving before breakfast was to be served, and non of the comments was elicited by Jeff.

The Cuthbert House runs like a finely tuned Swiss watch. All of its employees are courteous, polite, and knowledgeable. Compliments to Jeff and Mary Ann. You've obviously worked very hard to achieve a perfectly run Bed and Breakfast. However, sometimes, even excellence isn't enough.

2  Thank rpm132
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Cuthbert House is located right on the waterfront of the charming little town of Beaufort. It is just a couple of minutes away from the Main Street with charming shops, restaurants and waterfront park. Ideal for a short stroll in the evening to find somewhere pleasant to eat.
The house itself is very impressive both outside and in. We stayed just before Christmas and the tasteful decorations added to the atmosphere.
In general the area is quite expensive and the inn is no different, as a result we chose one of the smaller rooms, the Oaks, and were slightly concerned that it may turn out to be rather small and cramped. We were however very pleasantly surprised as there was much more room than the impression given by pictures. The bathroom is huge and very modern with one of the biggest walk in showers that I have ever seen. Very luxurious. The only down side of the room was the bed. It was lovely to look at but was one of the most uncomfortable I have slept in, in a historic B&B. I think it is time for the owners to invest in a new mattress. If you are sleeping on your own it is fine but when sleeping with a partner you both roll into the centre and it can be rather uncomfortable when you are stuck underneath!! Once this issue is sorted it will be a delightful room to stay in.
Breakfast was very pleasant but perhaps a little bit impersonal. You had to choose a time to ensure that not too many people arrived at the same time and the tables were all set out for two people, as a result it did not encourage the casual conversation and getting to know other guests which is often a highlight of staying in Bed & Breakfasts. The fare itself was very tasty and its presentation very tasteful.
The owners did however host a social hour each evening which was a lovely idea and very generous of them.
Overall very pleasant area and house in which to vacation.

Room Tip: The Oaks - located upstairs off a private outside balcony overlooking the back garden. It is howeve...
1  Thank ACandC
Baywatcher, Owner at Cuthbert House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear ACandC,
h
Tank you for the nice comments about our Inn. We really enjoyed your stay.
We also appreciate the comments on the mattress on the bed. We were shocked to hear this because it is a brand new mattress! We are in the process of investigating the problem and fixing I,t even if it means returning the mattress. We do appreciate comments like this because we otherwise would not have known.
Mary Ann and Jeff

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Traveling from daughter's in Ponte Vedra home and decided to stop and spend New Years Eve in Beaufort. What a find! We really lucked out when I went onto Trip Advisor and found this Gem! Happy hour with the owners and guest was fun & interesting. Evelyn who grew up here was most helpful and made dinner reservations for us at the Wren. You can't go wrong there! We did have a little blip with how long it took our food to come out but were compensated with free drinks. The food was delicious! Asked for the recipes but chef doesn't share! Guess we'll just have to come back! Bri appetizer is wonderful as well as the salmon! Great way to spend NY Eve dinner ... Now back to our comfy room with a fire in the fireplace and watching the ball drop...if we can manage to stay awake! Highly recommend the Cuthbert House Inn! We'll be back!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mwcspitfire
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We recently had a terrible experience with Cuthbert House Inn. It is a long story but I will try to be as brief as possible.

My initial phone call was to inquire if they could accommodate our special dietary needs for breakfast. The property manager, Yvonne, was friendly and said that it would not be a problem, but to perhaps send some sample recipes when making our reservation. I did as she asked but did not get a response to my notes and figured everything was a go.

Upon reading other reviews stating that people had negative experiences with special dietary requests, I called and spoke with the owner, Mary Ann, to make sure they received the recipes. She was not at all friendly and curtly stated that she had no knowledge whatsoever of our inquiry or our dietary needs. She kept interrupting me but we finally established that I would resend the recipes directly to her e-mail address because she "does not read the comments that are sent with reservations". Before hanging up I was told that if we chose not to have breakfast there, the cost of breakfast would be deducted from our bill.

After sending the e-mail as she requested, I received no confirmation that it was received. In addition to sending the recipes, my message said, "I hope we are not too much trouble." No response to that either. After about a week, I sent the message again and asked her to confirm that she received it. She simply responded, "Yes". That was it, no "Thank you", or "No trouble". I should have followed my gut and cancelled our reservations right then and there but gave her the benefit of the doubt figuring maybe she was just having a bad day. Big mistake.

After driving 9 hours, we arrived at Cuthbert House and were met by the owner, Jeff, who quickly managed to work into our conversation that they spent $40 on special food for us and that they would be serving us oatmeal and peanut butter the next morning. Oatmeal and pb costs $40?

When I asked if we could forego breakfast on the second day since we had to check out much earlier than breakfast was served (and they could not accommodate us for an earlier breakfast), Jeff quickly became nasty and an argument ensued. There were guests nearby in one of the common areas and I had to ask him to keep his voice down because he was embarrassing us. Like his wife, he kept interrupting me when I tried to speak and then he said, "You know what? I just want you out of here" and he asked us to leave. At that point, we were ready to ask for a refund anyway, but he spared us the effort. We exchanged a few more words, were issued a refund for our deposit and we lugged our suitcases back down the stairs and out into the night.

After driving around in the car with me crying for 15 minutes (had we known we would have an experience like that, we would have spent 2 extra days in Florida with my father, who we see twice a year at most), my husband calmed me down and we ended up at the City Loft Hotel, which turned out to be a blessing in disguise. The room was ultra-modern, clean and comfortable and we were greeted with warm hospitality.

Cuthbert House Inn's owners are worn out, stuffy and miserable. They lack even a basic appreciation for their customers and this shows in their attitude. No doubt they will refute this review but that was our experience and no amount of explanation or excuses can change it.

2  Thank earthlingsdotcom
Baywatcher, Owner at Cuthbert House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Here are the facts to this.
We are truly sorry to say that this is the first time in 8 years we have had to ask guests to leave our property. This is not at all what happened.
We are glad to accommodate our guests dietary needs as well as we can. This guest wanted a complete vegan diet. I told her we would try to do our best. She then sent me an e-mail with all her recipes demanding we cook these meals for her or she wanted a credit for breakfast. I did acknowledge that we received the e-mail and we would make two or three recipes from her list.
I spent an hour and $40.00 at our local health food store buying items for these guests. I will attach receipt, if needed. They required nothing that an animal or fish had ever touched.Therefore I bought special milk, oatmeal, waffle mix snacks and grains, breads,etc. to prepare. When they arrived this woman immediately asked Jeff for a credit for breakfast the second day because she had decided to leave early. That is when Jeff told her we were prepared to cook her recipes. She then refused to pay for her second night, would not give us her credit card until she checked out. She kept screaming that she wanted money back for not having breakfast the next day. because she was going to leave early!. What hotel or lodging establishments let people check in without paying?! This guest caused a huge disturbance in our lobby so Jeff said that was enough, refunded their entire deposit and asked them to leave. As she went screaming out the door she informed Yvonne and Jeff that she would ruin us our Trip Adviser. The next day all the guests who heard this woman said they felt very sorry for Yvonne and Jeff. Some of them actually made a joke out of it asking us for special foods etc.
Unfortunately I was not there when they checked in, I was out of town.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

We stayed here three years ago and were most anxious to return for the lovely social hour and canapes and the socialization with other guests. The owners have moved to a condo and this is their day off so there is no Social Hour on Sunday nights!

The room was still delightful and welcoming as well as the delicious breakfast. The owner Jeff explained that there are 9 different menus which rotate. Ours was the pancakes Grand Marnier which were served quite attractively with the GM syrup hot in a small pitcher.

We will stay there again, but on a different night!

2  Thank patgammon