“got a shower on the toilet”
Review of Atlantic Inn

Atlantic Inn
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Beaufort
Reviewed 12 December 2011

We asked to see a room prior to paying. On first glance, it was dingy, but the room didnt appear overtly bad, so we took it. First thing we noticed after that was a pop bottle under a chair belonging to a former customer. The toilet seat had a hinge missing, so we had a swivel seat. The bed sheets were clean and white, but the pillowcases were yellow, with burn holes and stains. I did receive a new set. Slept OK, then in AM, it was raining. As I sat on the toilet, I felt water drops on my head and down my back. A strong leak was above me in the ceiling. Then, when I got in the shower (wore my socks, as I didn't trust cleanliness), I discovered my washcloth was a rag...a huge hole was in the center of it. My travel companion complained to the woman who ran the motel, and told her she felt we should get some of our money back. The woman refused to refund any money. Then, to add insult to injury, I left my cell phone on the nightstand; when I called later, the woman said no phone had been found.

Room Tip: There are many reputable hotel chains in area. We were trying to save a buck...sometimes, you get wh...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank vonniern

Reviewed 28 July 2009

I paid for 2 nights, went to get something to eat...came back to my room amd there were roaches in the bed on the walls, behind the curtains & in my sheets crawling on my food!!! I went down to check out because I was too grossed out to stay and after several attempts to get a hold of the front desk to tell him my problem....not only was he not suprised about the "problem" but he only gave me my money back for 1 night!! I had to get out of there!!! BUYER BEWARE!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank buyerbeware206
Reviewed 25 September 2008

My wife booked this hotel online-from the pictures it didn't look that bad and it was cheap. When my wife, stepson and I arrived at the hotel and went into our room, it smelled like something I couldn't describe. The bathroom was very dirty also. We had planned to check in and go get something to eat then come back and sleep for a few hours. After seeing the room, we still had planned to stay there, but when we left to go eat, we took all of our things with us because of the overall bad feeling we had about the place. Before we left the parking lot on our way to eat, we decided to check out another hotel. (We didn't think we would have any luck, considering we were there for my other stepson's marine graduation-we figured everything would be booked up). We went to the Hampton Inn, which had a few rooms for about $100 more per night. I'm known as the cheapest person in my family, so it was a big shock to my wife that I would pay the extra to stay somewhere else. It was well worth it!! The Hampton was very nice-they let us check in early, mainly because we had told them of our bad experience at the Atlantic Inn. When we went back to the Atlantic Inn to get our money back, we were expecting a fight. Surprisingly, they didn't argue with us at all-they immediately refunded our credit card. Hmm, almost like they're so use to this happening that they didn't figure there was any point in trying to get us to stay. WHAT A DUMP!!!!!! Richard Williamson, Louisville, Ky.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank pkw4rcw
A TripAdvisor Member
Cross Hill, SC
Reviewed 3 February 2005

I feel an obligation to write this review as no such review was available prior to our stay at the Atlantic Inn in Beaufort, SC. Such a review would have prevented us from making a very bad choice while traveling from out of town.

First opinion upon opening the door was an unclean room smelling of heavy smoke. Further inspection revealed an unclean, mildewed bathroom and spatters of something resembling blood on the walls (see photos). The final blow was the filthy bedding, complete with stains and hair.

Calls to other local hotels proved there were no vacancies elsewhere, so luckily I found a 24-hour Wal-Mart at a very late hour. I bought new sheets and a pair of flip-flops to allow us to use the nasty shower before attending our event the next morning.

Please understand that I do not enjoy giving a negative review, but hope that it might prevent another couple from repeating our mistake.

• Stayed: January 2005, travelled on business
46  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded 22 February 2006

We are sorry that the patron had a bad experience, however if the problem would have been mentioned during the stay all measures would have been taken to resolve the situation.