“So so ”

The Rhett House Inn
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Beaufort
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

My mom, sister and I stayed at the inn last week. I would say the stay was overall disappointing. When we arrived, we had to ask 3 times for assistance with our luggage and never did receive the orientation on the services of the inn. The rooms downstairs are cold and damp and I am still recovering from a very bad cold I caught because of a window that wouldn't shut properly. The staff that assisted at breakfast were very kind and helped make our stay more comfortable. Overall, the inn needs a lot of work and it is not as it appears in pictures. Beaufort is a charming area and I wasn't looking for a modern resort...but, I just expected more....

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Sharonorl
Anya C, Manager at The Rhett House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Sharonorl,

Hello and thank you for your review. After meeting with you and your family I was sure you were enjoying your stay, and was very disappointed to hear otherwise. I do apologize that you had to ask several times for help with your luggage, I do wish you would have brought this to my attention as I helped carry down your luggage. I was surprised that your review said that the rooms downstairs were cold and damp. Being in such a humid environment, we go through great lengths to keep the inn at a controlled climate. Being Beaufort's only AAA 4 Diamond Inn, we pride ourselves on being the best and will not settle for anything else. Yes, the home is almost 200 year old, because of the fact that we set very high standards for the maintenance and upkeep of this beautiful home.

Overall, I do apologize for any issues that arose during your stay, and If anything you listed would have been brought to my attention while you were staying with us, the staff would have done anything possible to rectify the situation.

Thank you for staying with us and I do hope you will give us another shot!
Josh and the staff of the Rhett House Inn

Write a ReviewReviews (1,037)

Reviewed 23 March 2014

My husand and I have visited the Rhett House Inn previously. We recently added a new addition to our family; Cody, a 14 week old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. We were delighted to learn that your Inn had a "pet friendly" room which we booked immediately. It was perfect. Room 11 is on the ground floor of the cottage. It has a side yard that our dog could run around in. Add that to the relaxing atmosphere and the wonderful amenities such as cookies and lemonaide in the afternoon, cocktails and appetizers at night and the delicious desserts and coffee in the kitchen after dinner. We drove to Fripp Island with Cody and let him run the beach. We returned to downtown Beaufort for lunch on the waterfront which has many "pet friendly" restaurants. It was great to come back to our room, have a beverage and sit in the rockers on the front veranda while watching Cody play. Having a new puppy is stressful and our visit was just what we needed to relax and unwind. Can't wait to return!!

molly502014,

How can I forget such a friendly couple and there cutest little companion! Being right in the heart of Beaufort's historic district and a block from Downtown, all our guests that travel with there animals enjoy this pet friendly city! I am thrilled to hear that you loved everything the Rhett House Inn has to offer and I know we will definitely be seeing you good folks again!

Thank you and welcome to the Rhett House Inn family!

Reviewed 22 March 2014

What a lovely
we had. We stayed two nights and loved every minute. The inn is beautiful, very clean , and the amenities are awesome. Cookies, champagne, dessert after dinner, etc.. Can't wait to go back. It was our anniversary and it was so special.

• Stayed: March 2014

Mary K,

Hello and thank you for leaving such a fabulous review! We are so grateful to have met you, and to make your 2 day anniversary getaway so great! I am very to happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed the amenities that we have to offer. From out delicious southern breakfast, home made snacks all day, and our amazing desserts from our in house baker, I am not surprised you did not want to leave. Please think of us next time you travel to beautiful Beaufort South Carolina!

Thank you and I look forward to meeting you again,

Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed two nights. ...the staff members are wonderful...the old house is nice inside however our stay was not perfect....the first night our room got so hot that at 2pm we had to open the window.....the next morning we found out to adjust we had to go out of our room in the hallway to turn it down....we did not turn the heat on so that is a mystery why it was so hot in our room......we had a queen size bed that was not comfortable at all....you seem to sink in the middle.....the amount this room cost per night I was expecting a lot more upscale......the breakfast was great.....we will probably not return but will try other bed and breakfast in the area. .....however to the staff THANK YOU .....YOU ALL WERE GREAT

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Judy H
Anya C, Manager at The Rhett House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Judy H,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your visit to this enchanted city. I am terribly sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations! I am glad to hear that the staff here showed you a true southern hospitality experience.

I would like you to know that I was aware of the issues you brought up when you were here, and I will be personally emailing you a gift certificate for a free stay! I really hope that you will give us one more shot to prove that we can do better.

Thank you, and if there is anything else I can do for you please let me know!

Reviewed 16 March 2014

This is a difficult review to write. My wife and I planned to spend a weekend here for our anniversary trip to Beaufort. Many of the staff are exceptional and the house is a beautiful historic property in a perfect location in the historic district. They also offer great amenities like a full bar and pies and cakes that are baked fresh in-house daily. Unfortunately, in our room the mattress, linens, and thermostat were in such poor condition that neither of us were able to sleep. Our one night was so bad that we checked out the next morning, cancelling the rest of our stay there, and by mid-day were so exhausted that we decided to make the 6 hour drive back home instead of finding another hotel and spending more time in Beaufort. So, there are some great things at Rhett House and they have real potential but if you stay there you should carefully inspect everything before you agree to accept the room.

Room Tip: Obviously some rooms have very old mattresses and bedding that is literally falling apart because th...
1  Thank Jason C

Jason C,

I am very glad that we spoke on the phone after you left and we had time to correct the situation. After you checked out and we spoke on the phone, I had a meeting with the owner Steve Harrison, who took a great interest in your comments and is working so that we will never have a guest not enjoy something about this beautiful home. I did refund your stay and I pray that you will give us another shot when you do travel down to Beaufort South Carolina again.

All we can do is learn from situations like this, and better ourselves the next time around. It was a pleasure to meet and speak with you, and I would like you to know that we are sincerely working on the issues you discussed with me.

Thank you and I hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed one night at this inn, which was definitely not enough time to enjoy the lovely, relaxing atmosphere that we felt here. The front porch and the charm that the house offered made us want to simply relax with some of their homemade treats and do nothing, but rest! I wish we had been able to stay more than one night!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Cathy47,

I am so sorry that you only had one day to spend in this beautiful place, it is just not enough! The great thing about your review is that you will change other guests traveling plans and they will give more time to this enchanted city!

The staff here at the Rhett House Inn is thrilled to hear that you did exactly what has to be done on vacation, just relax and enjoy whats in front of you. Being Beaufort's only 4 Diamond Inn we pride ourselves on the experience that we give to each and every guest. I am happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay, and I hope you choose to stay with us the next time you travel to beautiful Beaufort South Carolina.

Thank you!

Reviewed 13 March 2014

My hubby and I spent two nights in March at the Rhett House Inn. Friendly staff, very accomodating, and a beautiful property. Fabulous location; in a few short minutes, you are in the heart of downtown BEaufort and all it's charming shops, etc. They have bikes, beach chairs, and blankets you can borrow; we really liked that. Awesome goodies throughout the day from sweet tea to cookies and apps in the evening. Our room was #15, one of the cottages across from the main house. It was very spacious, clean, and comfortable with nice chairs, sheets, furnishings. Yummy breakfast, and an overall great experience.

Room Tip: #15 had a great four post bed, fireplace, and lots of room to s-t-r-e-t-c-h out.

Deb K,

Your review was so fantastic I thought for sure it would be 5 stars! I am glad you thoroughly enjoyed all the Rhett House Inn has to offer. Being only a short block from the beautiful Bay Street, all our guests enjoy a short yet majestic walk to the many delicious restaurants that the waterfront has to offer! Being a transient myself, I agree with you on how amazing Beaufort really is. Its a secret treasure!

It was very nice to meet you and please let me know if there is anything I can do to make your stay just that much better next time!

Your friend,