Montage Palmetto Bluff
US$104
ComfortSuites
US$157
US$138
Hilton Garden Inn Hilton Head(Hilton Head)(Great Value!)
US$174
US$153
US$140
Fairfield Inn
Marriott's Heritage Club(Hilton Head)
US$549
Orbitz.com
US$393
US$554
US$180
US$157
All reviewsthe cottagesgolf cartthe riversteam showerscreened porchtop notchadult poolfire pitbeautiful propertylagoon viewmain buildingsouthern charmtree housevillage homelong weekendsea islandhouse restaurant
Reviewed 3 May 2011

My husband and I wanted to go somewhere special for our anniversary that was driveable and the nicest around that we had never visited. We were not disappointed. It is just a little off the beaten path as you drive towards Hilton Head Island. It is about a 10 minute leisurely drive once you turn into the entrance, so you know it is going to be something special. You leave your car at the check-in spot and a bellman puts your belongings on a large golf cart and whisks you off to your cottage, after checking in.
We had a Cottage Suite, which is the nicest of the accommodations. You basically get an entire freestanding cabin to yourselves and the all face the May River. The regular cottages are duplexes and face the May River or the lagoon. Cottage suites were fabulous. Our favorite parts were the shower (has a steam sauna!!) and the screened porch that is huge. We had room service several times there and it was wonderful and seemed quicker even than the restaurant service.
You are provided with complimentary bicycles, but I also suggest renting a golf cart just to explore the area further. You can drive everywhere in your car other than the cottage area, but its just a fun way to get around.
We tried all 3 restaurants and all were nothing outstanding, but sufficient. The Canoe Club seemed a little stuffy. It should be noted that alot of lucky families have spectacular private millions of dollar homes in this resort , and my husband and I got the feeling of how "special" they all thought they were. But we were there for privacy, so this was not an issue.
We played golf at the extremely exculsive May River Club on the premises and the course was immaculate. We never waited on a shot, even playing a two-some. You are required to have a personal caddy, even if you ride a cart. He came in very handy since we were unfamiliar with the course.
The adult pool was a very nice amenity and much closer to the cottages than the main pool.
Unfortunately I did not visit the spa, but it looked (and smelled) marvelous from the outside.
This place is beautiful, peaceful and a perfect location for romance. It is extremely expensive (for South Carolina standards) but worth the splurge if you can swing it.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank pickypicky58
Reviewed 29 March 2011

Words are hard to express this vaction spot. It is a five star resort to go and stay. My wife and I stayed in one of the cottages and our two chilren and seven grandchildren stayed in a house next to the main Inn.
The service are fanastic and everyone one was so friendly. We rode bikes, fished in the pond (Caught several 2# Largemouth Bass), hiked aound the grounds, children played in all the tree house, rented a golf cart to get around faster, ate in the Inn. had Chocolate smoras on the bonfire and all the children went swinming in heated pool.
We went to Bluffton for lunch one day which is only a10 mile drive.
We highly recommend this resort for Family or just a couple to get away for a weekend.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Ray R
Reviewed 15 March 2011

Nothing I could say would give this wonderful resort justice. A one of a kind. The kind of place where you have to believe the wealthy frequent not because it is expensive but so perfect. Everything and everyone was "just" right. Classy, southern hospitality, great good, fantastic accommodations..... Nothing went wrong, nothing to complain about. I loved it, my finicky husband loved it. Auberge Resorts you have my attention!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank ChristineSoCal
Reviewed 27 February 2011

My husband and I went to Palmetto Bluff for a 30th birthday trip in February 2011 as part of the Winter Wonderland Escape package which included complimentary breakfast both mornings and dinner one night at the River House. We paid $520.00 per night (lagoon view) for the package. We drove down from our home of Charleston after rave reviews from friends. We had high expectations and they were met in every way. Upon arrival, we were upgraded to a river view cottage. If you are requesting a river view, I would suggest aiming for cottages numbered less than 33 (the lower the better the river view). We were also provided a complimentary bottle of wine and chocolates for my husband's birthday. The weekend we visited was the annual dog weekend known as "Woofstock" and we brought our little dog who was welcomed just as a regular guest. (surcharge of $25.00 per day for doggie) This hotel is incredibly pet friendly so you should definitely consider bringing your 4 footed friend. We rented a golf cart for the entire stay (which I highly recommend) for a surcharge of $45.00 per day. This place is massive so I would plan on getting the golf cart for the entire stay. We also had the complimentary bicycles to use for some exercise. One of our favorite activities was the complimentary canoeing where we saw otters, alligators and beautiful wood ducks.

I don't need to say anymore than what has already been said about the cottages. They are truly amazing and we were on the porch the entire time. People griping about the palmetto bugs, hot water temperature and leaves in gutters are just nit-picking. The bathrooms/amenities/Frette bathrobes/magnifying make-up mirror gave us all of the conveniences of home. Beds were amazing!

We ate at May River Grill one night (the Canoe Club was closed for renovations). My husband and I split the shrimp and grits appetizer and NY strip along with sides of buttermilk potatoes and collards. The food was above average and price was slightly high but about what I expected. We enjoyed the food but agreed that it was not earth shattering. Service was wonderful: pleasant and prompt!

Complimentary in-room breakfast on Saturday and Sunday mornings arrived prompt and hot. Lunch Saturday was at Buffalos and the best meal/value of the trip for me. Unfortunately, it was not open for dinner. We had the steak and cheese sandwich and the homemade hotdog (something to try). The homemade ice cream is not to be missed either.

Dinner Saturday night was complimentary at the River House. My husband and almost every other gentleman in the dining room were in jackets so I would definitely suggest a blazer for dinners here. Since the meal was included in our package, we did not hesitate to order some of the most expensive items on the menu: crab cake appetizer for me, lobster/crawfish bisque for him and the housemade charcuterie/cheese platter to split. All were delicious. Entrees were Kobe beef and King crab/prawns. Both were above average: presentation was wonderful, perhaps better than taste. Price was hefty: tab for dinner (although comped in the end) plus 3 $10.00 glasses of wine was over $200.00. I have had better meals before for less but I acknowledge that this resort is in the middle of nowhere with no competition to keep them in check and thus, exactly what I (and you) should expect.

Check-out at noon (awesome) was flawless and complimentary bottles of water were waiting in the car. One thing to note that others have not mentioned yet is that the equestrian center is a highlight not to be missed. I am a long-time horse person and the equestrian center is brand new and I had to check it out. If you want to go on a trail ride with your family or just ride a horse for an hour or so, you should definitely plan to do this. This amenity really sets Palmetto Bluff apart. At least go by and check it out!

NOT TO MISS: canoeing, marshmallow roasting at night, "porching", eating ice cream at Buffaloes on the patio, riding the golf cart and going off the beaten path-

We cannot wait to return!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Legalgal25
Reviewed 25 February 2011

Stayed with the family for the weekend and went back to work feeling so well rested! Everything was 5 star. My kids, who are almost teens, were really taken care of like the little adults I like to think they are. Plus the food was so good I think we might make the couple hour drive there just to eat!!!!

• Stayed: February 2011