“Excellent Southern Retreat”

GreenLeadersGold level
Boston
“Excellent Southern Retreat”
Reviewed 6 February 2008

I was at Palmetto Bluff for a few days, and the experience far exceeded my expectation
The individual cottage is very spacious, very careful & detailed amenity, well-stocked fridge, great fireplace, comfy deck area, lovely May river view and the best bathroom of all the places I've stayed. I think Palmetto Bluff was ranked No.1 in Conde Nast under room category, and yes it definitely deserved the title,the room worth every penny
The staffs are very friendly and very attentive (though I felt the front desk lady was a bit cold). Other than that, everyone else was very helpful and nice to talk to
The surrounding area is really secluded, and you can enjoy miles of really nice bike trails. There are also countless of activities here, most of them complementary, and golf of course, is really nice
Spa is a must try, everything was spectacular, one of the best body treatment I've had
One thing that's a big disappointment was the food. I was really glad this is not an all inclusive hotel because the food was not amazing, and the menu lacks variety.
Palmetto Bluff has amazing cottage, wonderful staff and beautiful surrounding, hopefully they will improve the food some time soon. I will definitely go back in a heartbeat, but I'll probably pack some cup noodles with me

• Liked — Room, Staff, Environment, Spa
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled solo
1 Thank babygenius

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Northern California
Reviewed 3 February 2008

Recently returned from visit number two and it was even better than I remembered. First time we were four adults and we stayed in two of the cottages. Second time we took our 20-somethings children and stayed in two village homes. The videos don't do the place justice. 8 days and it wasn't enough for any of us.
All of the property is spectacularly beautiful, situated in a nature reserve. The cottages and homes are maintained to impeccable standards, and furnished better than most homes. The staff are exceptionally helpful ( we wanted a Christmas tree and Sue the Concierge found someone who got us one, and had it delivered on the 23rd Dec). We also shipped items ahead of us and they were all in our "home" when we arrived, including frozen food stuffs from an on-line trading company.
The golf carts were a huge success for getting around, and the biking was easy for everyone, and all abilites, as the grounds are predominantly flat. You can cycle for miles if you choose. All activities are listed on the website and should be taken advantage of: croquet comes with instruction and tennis partners can be found - JUST ASK! If you want to fish they supply you with rods, bait and a map of where to go - our two 'childern' didn't catch anything but who's counting, it was a fun activity. We took the sommelier wine cruise which was very good, and had previously taken the small boat trip to Hilton Head.
The two restaurants offer differing food: Buffaloes is casual, and the River House is upscale and very nice. Don't miss RT's grocery store, a relatively new addition, which carried enough goods to make a decent meal, and wine/beer.
We had a 'girls spa day', which was handled excellently by the spa staff, and the guys golfed. The spa treatments were lovely -- all of them! The only gripe with golf was being charged for the range prior to playing - a bit steep.
The resort keeps the 'fridge stocked with soft drinks - a nice touch. They also had a photographer take photos for free on Dec 24th - such a simple treat. There was carol singing by the firepit and s'mores...............
The small church on the property was packed with guests on Christmas Eve, and has amazing views as the sun goes down - think wedding venue.......
This is a hidden gem and if I lived closer I wouldn't be sharing how great the place is as I'd want it all for myself.

• Liked — Extremely high standards of the staff, surroundings, and furnishings
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
Michigan
Reviewed 31 January 2008

I just returned from my fourth trip to the Inn at Palmetto Bluff. There is little I can add to my first review other than to commend this wonderful resort for improving with age. The level of service this trip exceeded the already exceptional level I received on past trips. Anytime I needed anything, the staff catered immediately to any request. The staff at the front desk went out of their way to be incredibly pleasant and helpful. Granted, the resort was practically empty, yet the attention to customer service was impressive. I will give you two examples. One night after dinner, we wanted to sit by the fire pits but the chairs were wet from the rain. Within minutes of our request, a team of housekeepers were there to dry them. One late evening when I was hungry, I called room service. I was informed they did not have anything on the menu (I am assuming because the resort was empty) but within minutes, a plate with a nice club sandwich and some chips was delivered to my room at no charge! The room service was faultless as food was delivered very quickly by wonderfully friendly staff members. The spa is very well done and the treatments, although a bit pricey, are well worth it.

A new restaurant and large pool are being built and should be completed by late spring. They will be sorely needed as the current pool is rather small. The old pool will become adults only which will be great for those of us who prefer some peace and quiet. Buffalos, the casual dining area, has expanded their hours and the food and service are great, but a new bar and restaurant will be a nice addition.

If you are seeking Southern grace and charm along with wonderful accommodations and superb service, you will find them and much more at Palmetto Bluff. It is clearly one of best, if not THE finest resort in America.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
Kevintb
Reviewed 6 November 2007

My wife and I found Palmetto Bluff while searching for a site for our wedding. We looked at other sites on the Carolina coast, Kiawah Island & Hilton Head. Though Kiawah and Hilton Head are nice, they are a long reach from The Inn @ Palmetto Bluff. We did select it as our wedding site, the Chapel and we had our Rehearsal Dinner in the Wine Cellar and Reception at the May River Golf Grill.

The property is unspoiled - basically its perfect. The Inn is much the same. There may be some confusion with new guests or visitors. No rooms are offered at the Inn. It houses confrence centers, a bar and two restaurants as well as a grand ballroom. The Inn, has "cottages" on the property where guests stay.

The cottages, pefect, well appointed, fireplace, huge bathroom/dressing areas, very romantic, professional, yet simple and southern.

Service is outstanding. The price /night is steep, but well worth it. I highly recommend that you stay at least two nights. Plenty to do and see and you will not want to leave

Tip: Spring for the golf cart, the rental fee is $40 /day but you'll need it.

As one of my friends said, "If I were to close my eyes and picture walking through heaven, it would be just like this".

Excellent property. I've traveled a lot, Caribbean, Europe, Asia and many places in the U.S. PB is by far - way out in front.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kevintb
New York, NY
Reviewed 23 September 2007

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Inn over the Labor Day weekend. I have to say that the weather wasn't good at all, it rained so hard our first day it set a record. Our second day, however, allowed us to really experience what the Inn had to offer. We played a round of golf on their beautiful golf course (great caddies and driving range). The fishing pools and golf carts (that you can rent) are so much fun. It was great just going all over the bluff and trying various fishing spots (I recommend off the 15th hole on the golf course!). The bikes they offer are fun as well, you can just bike all around their vast nature-reserve like grounds. I have to agree, the food choices are limited, but all the food we had was good in our opinion (we are from NYC so we have high expectations, this was average for a hotel I thought). The Spa was also nice, we did the Spa Boggin' treatment for couples and it was great, although very pricey ($800). I found the service to be a bit hit or miss. At lunch our bill was changed (added a couple items)between giving the credit card and the return for signing (which is very strage). The front desk staff was nice, but sometimes didn't have all the answers. The concierge rather have you contact people yourself to setup your activities. Room service staff were great as were the carriage house staff (where you get the fishing gear, golf carts, bikes, etc).

I think the best compliment we can pay the Inn is that we are going back there next weekend! It's a nice short flight to Savannah from NYC and then a quick 20-30 min drive to the Inn. Very relaxing for a long weekend. Highly recommend giving it a try.

• Liked — Room Quality, Great Activites
  • Disliked — Some Service, Food Choices, No Night Events
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MFL101
chicago
Reviewed 18 September 2007

We just spent 4 nights in a village home for a mother/daughter getaway.
Lodgings:
The home was absolutely gorgeous. It was decorated in a high-end lowcountry coastal style. Furnishings and finishes were all top notch. All village homes are decorated with the same quality. Although they are individually owned, the Inn requires that all owners use the same decorators. Bedding was comfortable and clean.
The kitchen had granite counters and Viking appliances.
Bathroom products were lovely potions from the spa.
The Inn and homes are pet friendly. Housekeeping will not enter your home if the pet is there. If you call ahead though, housekeeping will come promptly when you ask.
Dining:
A problem, as others have noted.
Buffalo's was open for lunch. We had one good meal and one horrible meal.
We ate at the Inn's Restaurant twice. Service was completely professional and perfectly impeccable. One night I made a special request which was cheerfully honored. The food was very good.
There are 2 problems. 1) This is the only place open for dinner. 2) One of the hostesses claimed that dress was "formal" (untrue), BUT, one does need to have smart casual clothing to eat there. Not a problem, but one night we had planned to eat more casually on the porch. It was closed due to an afternoon rainstorm. So, again, the only option was the dressy restaurant. When I called, one would have thought that the hostess would have said to come over anyhow, even dressed more casually. Hostesses were generally less than professional.
Fitness Center:
Awesome! Not huge but extremely well fitted out. The center overlooks the beautiful pool, and coastal waters. Treadmills and such have individual flat screen TVs. Almost every type of equipment a person could ask for was here. Perfectly designed.
Spa:
Very nice, although overpriced. The aromatherapy massage was great. The massage table was the most comfortable ever. At the end of the massage you are given back your robe, heated! And the therapist also gave me the leftover aromatherapy massage oil.
The facial was fine, nothing too special, especially for $175.00.
Both therapists were competent.
Surroundings:
This place is visually like Main Street at Disney World without the kids and tourists. It is very quaint and cute. The little white chapel overlooking the water looks like a perfect place to have a small wedding.
Service:
I found service to be a bit uneven, definitely not on par with Four Seasons or Ritz. At a place like this, all answers to guests should be "yes". I did not see this with myself or other guests. Service improved as the weekend approached. Maybe they have their better help come in for the busier times.
Unfortunately, it rained almost the entire time, so I cannot comment much on outdoor activities., although it looked like it would be great fun to bike and kayak.
I would think that this would be a great place when the weather is better, and more restaurants are open, especially for those of us who travel with pets. I will probably return.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank carztraveler
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed 14 September 2007

Just got back from a 4 day stay at Palmetto Bluff and we never wanted to leave! We were looking for something special for our 5th Anniversary (after having spent a long weekend at The Lodge at Pebble Beach this past spring we thought the bar had been set pretty high). Well this place tops it all! The service far surpassed that at Pebble and the setting is so beautiful and most of all, quiet. However, don't let the quiet part fool you, there is plenty to do there. The spa was fabulous, the golf fantastic, the wine cruise educational and fun all at the same time, and all of the other amenities were enjoyable. We made use of the bikes by biking almost everywhere on property; we used the kayaks one day for a nice leisurely trip around property; we relaxed at the pool and enjoyed the great food and drinks (try their signature drink, the "sweettart"!); we worked out at their state of the art fitness center; and we shopped at RT's Market.
The only thing I was a little leery about upon arrival was the food. Previous postings remarked on how "unremarkable" the food was, especially for the prices they charge. We found the food to be imaginative, inventive, and very tasty. We also learned that they have a new chef, so that must have something to do with it. The service is certainly of the highest standard and the best part is, it is very understated. They go out of their way to provide great service without it being in your face. We will certainly be going back. This place is fabulous!

• Liked — the rooms and the service
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bluffton
Inn & Club at Harbour Town - Sea Pines Resort
Beach House, A Holiday Inn Resort
Marriott's Barony Beach Club
Marriott's Barony Beach Club
#6 of 29 in Hilton Head
Sonesta Resort Hilton Head Island
Omni Hilton Head Oceanfront Resort
The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa

Been to Montage Palmetto Bluff? Share your experiences!