“Heaven on Earth in every way!!”

Montage Palmetto Bluff
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Bluffton
GreenLeadersGold level
Lexington, Kentucky
“Heaven on Earth in every way!!”
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I just returned home from Palmetto Bluff, where I spent the past two days celebrating my friends' wedding on the property.

We stayed in a Village Home in the center of the square and it was simply beautiful. The home was well appointed, with 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms (each with tiled showers and granite countertops) and a gourmet kitchen complete with Viking Professional appliances and granite. The ceilings were tall -- maybe 16ft -- and there was hardwood or tile in every room. Just gorgeous.

The property there overall was magnificent. In my two days there I was able to enjoy the large pool (kids welcome) and the quieter, smaller adult pool. The fitness facilities have nice equipment and there are bikes at each home for your use around the property. I hadn't been on a bike in years and found it blissful just riding around, exploring the property.

I also enjoyed the Classic Massage at the Spa. Karen was a talented massage therapist and even stretched out my muscles during the massage. The blood orange vodka drink and some unique bite of fruity concoction at the conclusion of the massage topped off the top-notch experience.

The food at Buffalo's (I had lunch and brunch here), lunch at the adult poolside bar and the food they served at the rehearsal dinner, cocktail reception and wedding reception were delicious. The food by far was the best I'd ever had at any wedding.

The grounds are immaculate, with river and pond views, tall mature trees, moss hanging from the trees and lots of animal species from birds to lizards to armadillos running free.

There were so many other activities I didn't have time to take part in, like canoeing, the nature boat ride, etc. but this place has anything you could want.

Every staff member I came in contact with was very friendly and helpful as well. I loved being at Palmetto Bluff for my friends' wedding and hope to be able to go back again and enjoy the place (or one of its sister sites in the chain of resorts) again on vacation. If you are looking for a luxury, one-of-a-kind destination, this is it. Obsessed!!!!

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank MeredithLaneLEX

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Plato Center, IL
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Two nights was wonderful, but don't torture yourself....make the stay much longer. There is absolutley nothing bad to say. We tried as much as we could in 48 hours and it was all perfect. Make sure you go to Wilson Landing and plan some type of tour on the water. We did the two hour nature/history cruise and it was quite informative and entertaining. Don't leave the property...enjoy the facilities, food and atmosphere. I have travelled all over, but this was by far the most unique and peaceful place we have ever stayed.

Room Tip: Riverfront Cottage We stayed iun number 5 Close to everything, but not too close
1 Thank Paul W
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Reviewed 27 August 2012

WOW! What a BEAUTIFUL resort - every detail is covered so perfectly, and the service is impeccable. From the moment we arrived to the minute we (reluctantly) left! Blue is the MAN - his tour around the resort while we were waiting for our room - on an extended family size golf cart - was a GREAT way to start the 3 day weekend off! His knowledge of the resort, and his care in making you feel right at home were unsurpassed in my travels. It all led to a wonderfully appointed cottage, sitting on the banks of a lagoon with egrets and wood storks playing the trees right outside! Gorgeous hard wood floors, "right at home" decor, a fridge, amzing bathroom, HUGE chaning room, and a FULL screened in porch off the back. Our golf cart was waiting for us outside, parked right next to our bikes, with a "buggy" attached for our 8 month old. Her favorite parts of the trip we cruising around in the cart and of course, the swimming pools. The setting for the pools feels like a posh tropical get away, with a bucket of iced down waters brought immiately over to our chairs upon a guided seating. Again, EVERY detail is covered - NOTHING is overlooked. Eat at the Canoe Club - it's some of the best food we've every had. Hughues is straight out of France, and his knowledge and desire to make your experience in the restaurant PERFECT is his forte. A HUGE asset to the resort as a whole! If you get a chance, burn off your calories from dinner and bike out to the TREE HOUSE (not the one ON the resort) in Moreland (part of Palmetto Bluff). STUNNING views, and not your "ordinary" tree house. This is state of the art - no joke - and again, a MUST for part of the weekend here. Overall, this is a top 5 resort in the country - we WILL go back. It has a small town feel at the heart of it, with endless land around. Incredible ocean views from so many areas, gas lanterns abound, and a FIVE STAR experience. THANKS YOU P BLUFF!

Room Tip: The cottages are BEAUTIFUL - ANY would be fine. Tough to get a "bad" spot!! If you go...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Sawyer123456
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Spent 2 nights at the Inn at Palmetto Bluff as part of our vacation, everything was great. Our cottage was one of the better rooms we have been in, having bikes to ride around the resort was a great way to get around the resort. We also played golf and the course was really good, same with lunch afterward, breakfast at Buffalos pretty good also, left the resort for dinner both nights and found a couple of good spots in Bluffton. If you are looking for a resort with great cottages, great service and a wonderful golf course this place is for you. Having never been to Souh Carolina I was not ready for all the bugs, but even this was not a big deal. My wife said this was the best spa experience she has ever had, and is still talking about it.

1 Thank golftraveler15
PalmettoBluff, General Manager at Montage Palmetto Bluff, responded to this review, 31 August 2012
Dear Golftraveler15,
Thank you for your recent visit to the Inn at Palmetto Bluff. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed staying in our cottages. Our Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Course is an exceptional course, kept in pristine condition by our staff and I am glad that you enjoyed playing it. I am also glad to hear that your wife enjoyed visiting our Auberge Spa. We have an excellent golfer's massage that you should try the next time you visit.
We look forward to welcoming you to the resort again soon.
Marty Wall
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We just returned from Inn at Palmetto Bluff and could not be more impressed with the property. Everything from the location to the service was impeccable. This is truly a place in U.S. not to be missed- it feels as if you are stepping back in time. One of the best properties we have ever stayed at.

Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 23 August 2012

We recently visited the Inn at Palmetto Bluff and enjoyed the property immensely.

A couple of highlights:

the entire property is a 20,000 acre southern estate. Mature trees, beautiful vistas, lots of charm. it is an idyllic setting.

We enjoyed an afternoon by the pool. Service was decent, could have been a bit more timely. The menu offering has been trimmed down from a year ago but still wonderful. Try the Mojito Noir - exceptional drink.

The spa was well above average. Service was great, setting was perfect. We had some wonderful treatments and the staff was very friendly.

We then visited the main restaurant for dinner - this was a highlight. They accomodated every request and we were very impressed. Sat on the veranda and and enjoyed a wonderful meal, with great wine, and above average service from Lauren. The bar was inviting and after dinner we enjoyed smores by the firepit. It is simply a perfect evening.

I would highly recommend this property if you are looking to capture first rate southern charm.

As an aside it was voted #6 on a major travel pubs list. we will be back. only thing i missed was golf!!

Room Tip: the cottages are scattered around the property so you can choose closer to the town area or farther...
2 Thank Chris L
PalmettoBluff, General Manager at Montage Palmetto Bluff, responded to this review, 27 August 2012
Dear Chris L,
Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your recent visit to the Inn at Palmetto Bluff. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I truly appreciate the recognition of your server, Lauren, in the River House for providing memorable service. We continually strive to create lasting memories for all our guests and I was glad to know that we were successful in doing so with you.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and making sure that you have a chance to get out on the golf course!
Marty Wall
New York City
Reviewed 13 August 2012

I can see why so many families and honeymooners like to come here: it has just the right mix of isolation (22K acres) and socializing (several restaurants and daily events) to appeal to those who want to just be alone and to those who want to send the kids off on their own, and safely. In my case, I wanted a retreat from the world for a bit. I spent nearly a week with a pile of books in one of the cottages, and I could barely pry myself from the screened porch. The bikes were a handy way to get around, and when I finally made it to the spa, I barely pried myself out of there! The staff throughout is friendly, helpful and kind. I must add that the wine lists were well-chosen and well-priced (thank you, Todd, the awesome sommelier, for your help!). I wasn't as crazy about the food--I would've liked a little more inventiveness for the price. The grocery store on the grounds has a good selection of staples, some gourmet items and a nice wine selection, so that can always tide you over, too. I must mention here that if you want a serious deep-tissue massage, this is the place to do it. These folks know what they are doing.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank runnergirl1970
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bluffton
Inn & Club at Harbour Town - Sea Pines Resort
Beach House, A Holiday Inn Resort
Marriott's Barony Beach Club
Marriott's Barony Beach Club
#7 of 28 in Hilton Head
Sonesta Resort Hilton Head Island
Omni Hilton Head Oceanfront Resort
The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa

Been to Montage Palmetto Bluff? Share your experiences!