“Just left and keep thinking of when next can I go back?!!”

Montage Palmetto Bluff
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Bluffton
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Just spent 7 days there. As you can see from past reviews, I take my vacations very seriously and this place exceeded expectations. My two sons had differing Spring Breaks and I needed to take this week off with my 9 year old. My husband and older son then joined us for the Easter Weekend. It is a little different than anyplace I have stayed - I did love it more than Sea Island and The Sanctuary at Kiawah. It is large enough to feel you have lots of space and are not competing for resources or good service yet small enough that you can navigate it well. I never left the property for 7 days but still left today without doing tons of activities I wanted to do. There is just so much to do: boating, kayaking, long bicycle trip, horseback riding etc...
The food is good not excellent but stick to the southern fare and the vegetables are very fresh. We ate at all restaurants and also had room service. Definitely recommend the fried chicken and pulled pork. Great cocktails including the Peaches and Bourbon. S'Mores every night for dessert.
We stayed in the cottages with a river view. The acocomodcations were very spacious with big bathrooms with free standing tubs and steam showers. The bed was super comfy with excellent linens. My favorite was the screened in porch almost as large as the rooms. Even on rainy days I enjoyed reading and taking meals out on the porch. Never tired of the view. Housekeeping was prompt.
The spa was excellent but pricey. Definitely do a treatment with a bath on one of the porches.
I hope to return soon. My children loved it. My husband also said golf course was very good.
They will be building a new hotel in the future on the property and I hope this does not detract from the community feeling the Inn enjoys today.

Room Tip: The river view rooms are very nice but I would choose one again closer to the main inn as there is a...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank rdkflk

Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed in cabin 5 for 5 days. The cabin was really nice, with everything you need plus. living room, fire place, big screen tv , steam shower , own patio with screens , wet bar , etc.
We had our own golf cart and bicycles . There is lagoon in the middle of the cabins with all sorts of wild life, herons, alligators , turtles , fish etc. The restaurant is very good.
Very peaceful and just 30 min from Savannah. Which is definitely worth visiting. It was a dream .

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Arrived here on a cloudy rainy day with plans to tour the grounds and have dinner at the River House restaurant later. We would have loved to stay overnight at the Inn, but there are no guest rooms in the Inn itself. Renting a large cottage for just one night did not seem practical, since we had enough time in the afternoon of our arrival to sightsee and needed to leave early in the morning to reach our destination in Florida.
It is a very idyllic, charming and romantic place. There is a small village square and a little chapel that was filled with flowers, ready for a wedding to start.
The remains of the original mansion that burned down years ago( masonry entry steps and columns) are preserved on the lawn in the front of the Inn.The giant oak trees covered with moss and the palmetto palms contribute to the picturesque setting. It was definitely worth it to stop by, sort of a bonus detour on the way to our Florida vacation destination.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wenovo
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Just got back from a 3 night stay in one of the lagoon view cottages, and I have to say that it exceeded our expectations in every way. After the 4 mile drive from the gatehouse, you feel the weight of the world drop of your shoulders once you drive over the last bridge in to the village square.

Once at the Inn your car disappears until you need it again, and you and your luggage are taken to your cottage in a large golf cart. My golf clubs and shoes were taken to the golf course to await me the following morning. Outside the cottage are 2 bikes which you can use throughout your stay to get around the main area of the resort, and cycle on bike trails through the woods if you fancy more exercise! If cycling isn't your thing, you can hire a golf cart to get around.

Our cottage was fantastic (cottage 16). Large, high ceilings, and a very large screen TV. Waiting in the 'foyer' area for you are a free bottle of wine, bottles of flavoured water, and snacks, and a great coffee/tea machine. Off the main bedroom are the dressing area, double sink and large tub bathroom, a walk in shower which is also your own steam room, and a massive screened and furnished back porch. Housekeeping comes every morning and for turndown service in the evening. Our cottage was attached to another, but you would never know it as you don't hear a thing from your neighbours due to the thick dividing wall. Although the view from the river facing cottages was great, on balance we feel the lagoon view cottages have the edge as they offer a great variety of wildlife to watch. We spent ages watching the alligators leisurely making their way around the lagoon, and one afternoon one was basking in the sunshine on the bank by our cottage!

If you want more formal dining, the the River House restaurant does the job admirably. The Canoe Club restaurant is a bit more relaxed, but the food and service is just as good. We couldn't manage dessert in the Canoe Club ( too full!), so after a late lunch/early dinner in Savannah the next day we went back to the restaurant around 8.30pm, and sat at the bar for cocktails and a gorgeous warm chocolate chip cookie with ice cream. Buffalos was great for lunch and breakfast, although one morning we cycled up to RT's to pick up coffee and bagels.

I played golf on the beautiful May River golf course. I had an 8.30am tee time, but got off early. Played by myself with a walking caddy, got let through a four ball after a few holes and finished in just over 3 hours (how many resort courses does that happen on!) My wife went for a treatment at the spa which she really enjoyed.

All the staff at the resort were great, can't speak highly enough about all of them. Nothing was too much trouble. On hearing we were planning a trip out of the resort we were offered use of one of the Inn's Mercedes (including free gas).

This really is a place to chill out, enjoy what it has to ofer, and let them take care of you. It's definitely not cheap, but you really do get what you pay for. It's a unique and quite intimate resort, full of Southern charm.

Evidently Montage are building a new150 room hotel on the edge of the 'village'. To cope with this the existing facilities going to be increased and upgraded (for example they are replacing the current spa and there is talk of a second golf course). Whilst as many people as possible should have the opportunity to enjoy the Palmetto Bluff experience, I just hope increasing the size does not come at the expense of the all the good things this excellent resort has to offer.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tony W
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I came across the Inn at Palmetto Bluff over 5 years ago while researching potential destination wedding locations and knew this was an Inn I'd have to visit at some point my life! I had high expectations for this resort and although our stay was short - my husband and I had an incredible experience! It was pure bliss. We had a river view cottage which was impeccably clean and comfortably, yet elegantly furnished. The enclosed porch overlooking the river was the perfect area to enjoy a morning cup of coffee. Of the restaurants, the Canoe Club was definitely our favorite with great food and atmosphere. The fried chicken was heavenly! The River House restaurant was a little too quiet and stuffy for our liking - although the testing menu and service were fabulous. May River grill was by the far weakest of the restaurants, both in terms of service and the food. By day, we lunged by the pool and biked along the trails, stumbling upon alligators, turtles, and an amazing array of birds. We also thoroughly enjoyed a sunset, wine cruise on their restored 1913 Grace yacht. The team onboard the yacht was exceptional and took great care of all guests. All in all, it was an amazing and relaxing experience, set in a beautiful part of the South. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Try to get a river view cottage closest to the main Inn in order to have your own cottage. Some of t...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank griffink5
Reviewed 20 March 2014

My husband and I travelled with several other couples to Palmetto Bluff in the Fall, and I have to say it was exceptional. Great attention has been paid to all of the details and several aspects of the property made it one of my most memorable holidays.
We had a cottage room and it was absolutely stunning. Between the fireplace, screened porch and steam shower, I probably could have spent my entire stay in the room. Having said that, once I discovered the spa I could have easily spent all of my time there as well. I highly recommend having a treatment in one of the rooms with the bathtub on the screened porch. There is nothing in the world that can compare to soaking in a hot bath outdoors while listening to the birds.
We dined at all of the restaurants and they were excellent. The gym and pool areas are well maintained and we enjoyed a round of golf at the course as well. The property is very easily navigated with the bicycles provided, but if mobility is an issue you can arrange for golf carts.
We did sunrise yoga on a nearby sandbar and it was a fabulous way to start the day. We also did a kayaking tour and it was fascinating. We did the Bluffton Tour and could not have been more charmed by the town or the people. There is a reason Southerners are noted for their hospitality.
Our final night was a barbecue at Moreland Landing and it was a highlight of the trip.
As much as we enjoyed the property as a couples destination, I am planning to return with my children. The location and atmosphere is one that everyone and anyone could love.

Room Tip: A river front cottage is the best
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Just a 30 minute drive from the Savannah Airport, you are transported to a beautiful, idyllic, romantic Southern getaway. As soon as you turn onto the 1.5 mile drive into the 20,000 acre retreat, you are transported to a fairy tale version of a well to do lazy beautiful Southern retreat, filled with giant moss covered oaks, tall pines, and palmetto palms. Your cottage screened porch overlooks the May river or lagoon, where you can watch fishermen, and waterfowl play while sipping your wine or cocktail. Your cottage is equipped with 2 cruising bikes with baskets, so you can bike along the small town streets or paths. After a delightful but challenging round of golf on a course nearly void of adjacent homes, you can relax at the adult or entirely separate family pool overlooking the beautiful view. All personnel serve and greet you with a sincere friendliness that makes you feel at home. Service is simultaneously efficient and calming. Your cottage feels like a small home in an idyllic neighborhood fit with fireplace and steam shower as well as deep footed soaking tub. All restaurants on site are stellar. One can enjoy gourmet dining in an elegant plantation style setting or in a beautiful modern "canoe house" elevated, lined with windows to view open river or lagoon views with high arching 3 story ceilings entirely lined with wood reminiscent of a boat bow serving a more casual but no less elegant American cuisine with low country touches. Take a sunset cruise in a historic vessel on the May "river" where dolphins glide along the bow, or enjoy s'mores by the firepit. As I am on my flight to return home, I feel as though I have awoken from a beautiful dream. It is an expensive dream, but well worth every penny.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank ZGTO
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bluffton
Inn & Club at Harbour Town - Sea Pines Resort
Candlewood Suites Bluffton-Hilton Head
Comfort Suites Bluffton
Comfort Suites Bluffton
#5 of 6 in Bluffton

Been to Montage Palmetto Bluff? Share your experiences!