“A very nice hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
McLean, Virginia
“A very nice hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

This is not a luxury hotel, but it is very nice. The rooms are spacious and clean and quiet, and the location is excellent. For the price, this is a very good choice for a place to stay in Charleston.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (726)
Clemson, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

The hotel is located in a perfect location with great views. Short walk to all the spots you want to see. The room was smaller than expected, but nice and clean. Great customer service from all staff members and good price for the stay.

L/A, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

Stayed at the Francis Marion for 4 nights recently while attending a meeting there. The positive experience started with a very helpful bellman, continued at the front desk when I was comped an unexpected upgrade to a king corner room and was maintained throughout the stay with the food, meeting space, staff and the well-kept common areas. The hotel has an elegance reaching back to the antebellum era. An added bonus is that it's located in the historic district within walking distance of the water and you can find great restaurants and entertainment all over the neighborhood. The Francis Marion was great for this meeting but it's also a wonderful place to stay if you're simply visiting fabulous Charleston!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are the best!
1 Thank crzinn
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

Aside from the friendly, helpful gentleman at the valet, Tate, Keaton, and Reid, we were truly disappointed in the customer service at the hotel. It began before we even arrived and were guests at the hotel. I called the day before to confirm my reservation and the woman assisting me from reservations was flat out rude. I gave her the confirmation number I received in my email from the hotel, but she insisted that the number was wrong and made me feel terrible for being "incorrect" according to her. Then, the day of our arrival, I called to inform the hotel that I would be arriving separately from my friend that was checking in for us. The reservation was under my name and I wanted to be sure my friend wouldn't have a problem getting into the room. Holly at the front desk had a terrible attitude and was not the least bit helpful or accommodating.

To add salt to the wound, the 2nd night of our 3 night stay, we were informed that the credit card put down for incidentals at check in was charged for the full amount of our stay which was over $700. I have traveled around the world and stayed in hundreds of hotels and it has never been the hotel policy to charge the guests card on hold in the middle of the stay. This wouldn't have been a problem, but the card on file had a daily limit, so while we were enjoying ourselves in Charleston, shopping and eating out, and had the unfortunate situation of having our credit card declined at a store. Quite an unexpected, embarrassing moment.

Because of the way we were treated, we will never stay at this hotel again and we will also never recommend the Francis Marion to anyone.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank JML072410
Vienna, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2011

This is a classy old hotel, as in been around a long time. You know it the moment you arrive because there is no driveway leading up to an entrance. The vans and cabs just occupy a lane of the street.

It is clean and well kept. The lobby is one set of stairs up from the street which doesn't make for an easy entrance into the hotel. The lobby is an elegant space with a very high ceiling, lots of comfortable chairs and couches, and a grand piano. The staff is friendly, including an element of that southern charm.

My room was spacious, clean and well-appointed. They gave me one of those rooms equipped to accommodate disabled guests-no bath tub, a huge shower area and a wide bathroom door. I wish they had informed me about this on check-in, as these rooms are not my preference, but I went with it anyway. One oddity–the shower head pointed almost parallel to the floor and couldn't be budged, so I received all the spray on my upper body only.

You are located in a central area, near a bunch of restaurants on King Street, next to the free trolley bus, and a short walk to the main Visitor Center and the Charleston Museum.

My only complaint is that the elevators (there are three) are erratic. With one the door closed but didn't move off my floor. I tried twice, then called the front desk and switched to another car. With one, the floor indicator light above the door (from the inside) was not aligned with the actual floor you were on. It became a bit of a joke with strangers on almost every ride. Also, for a generally well kept facility, the floor button panels on all three elevators were worn and scratched, almost beyond recognition. An easy fix, one would think.

Despite all these nits, it is a pleasant place to stay.

1 Thank voyager075
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2011

The room was a bit small as it was difficult to squeeze between the chair and the bed. The room was comfortable and clean. The hotel is in a great location and is an easy walk to all you want to see.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

I recently spent three nights at the Francis Marion Hotel in downtown Charleston. This proved to be an excellent location in the center of downtown and withing walking distance of most anything. If you don't want to walk there are two bus routes adjacent to the hotel on the north and east where FREE buses will get you just about anywhere. My trip was one day as a tourist, 2 days for business.

The staff were the best I have ever experienced at a hotel. They were all friendly, courteous and helpful to me when selecting places to visit, explore, eat. I couldn't have asked for more.

The third floor corner room was spacious and had a street and park view. It couldn't have been cleaner or more comfortable. Nice linens and towels. Good temperature control. Hair dryer and toiletries provided. Turn down service with chocolates was nice. I slept like the dead, even with the street just below my two big windows. Bathroom wasn't really big, but there was plenty of room for my stuff and there is a vanity with chair in the room as well. Tub was nice and deep, (old style, but not clawfoot). Plenty of desk area for computer, good selection of tv and movies. Internet worked very well and I noticed there was a signal extender right in my closet.

This is an historical property, and fits the feel of Charleston well. The old woodwork and old style decore throughout the hotel reeks of history and why anyone wouldn't want this experience, and would choose a modern property over this one when visiting a town like Charleston, is beyond me. I have read some complaints here of the rooms being dated, but that was not my experience at all. Maybe not modern style, but certainly full of personality and I felt at home. It reminded me of the house I grew up in that was built around 1906. No plastic, no vinyl, just old time craftsmanship. And quiet, quiet, quiet.

I had a breakfast, a lunch and a dinner in the Swamp Fox Restaurant in the hotel, and every meal was excellent. Good southern cooking, fresh and tasty. The bar /lounge is small and the bartender friendly.

I will return to this hotel when I visit Charleston again.

2 Thank ABQSadieJane