“Elegant Accomodations and Great Location”

Francis Marion Hotel
Ranked #23 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I lived in Charleston for two years during grad school, so when I came back for a conference at the Francis Marion recently I wanted to be able to stay at the hotel so I wouldn't have to bother with a rental car. It is in a prime location, and the city is best seen when you're out walking around. I love how elegant the lobby is. You really feel like you've stepped into a different decade. I also really enjoyed my room. It was a good size for one person, and the housekeeping staff always kept it spotless. I should mention that the Francis Marion is a historic hotel, so one needs to understand that the rooms and bathrooms will not be as large as what you'll find in more modern hotels, that's just the way they were designed back then. The bathroom was rather small, but for one person, I thought it was fine. If you need a lot of space in that regard, you might want to try a more modern hotel. The staff was always ready to help...even providing me with some band-aids when my new shoes gave me blisters. Being a single girl, I felt very safe in this hotel. Inside the hotel itself is very subdued and quiet, but the streets outside are always bustling with people since it's positioned at one of the busiest intersections in the city. It is the perfect place to stay with regards to dining and shopping. Some of the best places to eat and shop are on King Street within a few blocks of the hotel. Not to mention the Saturday farmer's market that is on the square right outside the hotel...it's awesome and convenient! There is also a CVS nearby to pick up any toilettries you forgot. I recommend this hotel to people who are visiting Charleston and want to experience the charm of the city and be within walking distance of dining and other attractions.

Room Tip: Rooms that face Marion Square on the east side have a fantastic, unobstructed view. The hotel is on...

Reviewed 1 November 2011

Three nights at the Francis Marion for a conference, and could not have been more pleased. I travel a great deal both for work and for family, and have stayed at hotels from Sleep Inns to Ritz Carltons, and this hotel experience, like cream, rises to the top. I am picky about everything from cleanliness to hot water to bed comfort, and can't find anything to complain about. Hotel staff couldn't have been more attentive and responsive; our slightly delayed check-out was not a problem for them. Check-in was like a dream. Hotel is beautiful, clean, comfortable. It is, however, a historic hotel, so expect small bathrooms and rooms; I was sharing with a friend but we had plenty of room for our clothes, toiletries, and business items. Unless you are traveling with everything but the kitchen sink, it shouldn't be a problem. However, if you are visiting Charleston, don't expect to spend much time in your room, anyway! The location of Francis Marion is ideal for exploring the city on foot or by the (free) trolley, and hotel staff will help point you in the right direction. The Swamp Fox restaurant is anything but a typical hotel restaurant; in a city full of fine dining choices, the Swamp Fox is an excellent choice. Charleston is a treasure of a city, and the Francis Marion is one of the jewels in her crown. This hotel is a great place for a conference, or for a romantic get-away.

Reviewed 31 October 2011

The Francis Marion is a perfect location to explore historic Charleston. I parked my car and did not need it until I left town. The staff was friendly. My only problem with the hotel was the hot water system. There were several conferences in the building and I was unable to get hot water for 2 out of the 3 mornings. My other comment was that the majority of pillows on the bed were feather pillows so if you have allergies be aware of this.

Reviewed 31 October 2011

My husband had a 2 day conference here so we booked a 5 day stay to see the city. We have never been so disappointed in a property in all our travels. This hotel is just awful on so many levels. At first glance the lobby is nice, but once you arrive in your room, in our case a suite, it is quite a shock. It was dark, shabby and completey worn. The furniture while trying to appear as antiques was nothing but cheap and old. Let me try to discribe the bathroom. When we opened the door we thought it must be a joke. It was so small one could hardly fit to do anything. One tiny sink, miniature commode and the room was so dingy and dirty. We did have them move us to another suite that had 2 bathrooms so we could at least accomodate our toiletries but it was still terrible. On our second morning after my husband left for his meetings I opened the door to my tiny bathroom and there they were. Two of the largest roaches I have ever seen in my life just sitting on the floor. I had no idea what to do so I thru a towel over them and ran. I immediately called the Charleston Place Hotel and booked a suite for the remainder of our stay. I explained to them what had happened and they gave us a special rate and told me to come right over and they would check me into my new suite. Upon checking out of the Marion I told the front desk of what occured and they were apologetic but I could not wait to get out of that hotel. I would never ever recommend this hotel to anyone under any circumstances. It is really a terrible, dingy and at the most a 2 star hotel, if that.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CCGrandma
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Our 3 night/3.5 day stay at the Francis Marion in Charleston was the last desination of our honeymoon tour of the south. And we loved Charleston! Part of that was due to the fact that the Francis Marion had a great location and staff.

Upon arrival, the front desk attendants were very pleasant, wishing us congratulations, and helpful in giving us some quick tourist information. My husband and I thought the lobby was very lovely but not too over the top, and smelled great! The bellhop/valet was eager and willing to help with all of our bags and accompanied us to our room. We stayed on the 6th floor, in a corner room, with a view of the park and King Street. It was beautiful! Knowing the hotel was historic, I didn't expect anything too spacious or lavish. But the room was very open and didn't feel too small. The bed was a little too firm for our liking, but we did sleep well. The air conditioning was strong and worked well, which is perfect because we prefer to sleep when it is nice and cold! The only downside of the room is the small bathroom. I attribute that to the age of the hotel, but it was clean and served its purpose.

When we returned from dinner the first night in town, we came back to a room that had been turned down (without requesting it!) and a lovely plate of chocolate covered strawberries and a note from the girls that checked us in. It was very sweet and a lovely touch.

Overally, we enjoyed our stay at the Francis Marion. We loved the location, and would return if we make it back to Charleston!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2011

Stayed 5 nights during a conference. Room was tiny but the bed was comfortable. Signs of wear were everywhere--cracked and peeling plaster,
Chipped paint, tarnished fixtures. Probably the worst thing was the mold in the bathroom. There's also not a fan in the bathroom. That's never a good thing.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 20 October 2011

This city is so rich in history there is something new around every corner. The restaurants offer much and the quaint streets designed for horse and buggy make for a pedestrian friendly stroll that brings you back in time to the days of the founding fathers, pirate stories and more. Add to that the Francis Marion Hotel and you'll have a very memorable stay. I experienced 3 full days at this property. The hotel and its' early American style was only made even more enjoyable by the attention from thier well trained and friendly staff. this is on my lists to revist.