“Fabulous Hotel for my NYE wedding!”

Francis Marion Hotel
Ranked #23 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I went to Charleston a couple times to plan my New Years Eve Wedding and ended up choosing to have my ceremony at St. Luke's Chapel and the reception at the Francis Marion. The hotel is old and historic, so the size of the rooms and bathrooms just are what they are! This should not bother anyone who has traveled to older hotels in Europe or that appreciates the charm of older buildings. They have done a nice job with the space that they have- making a vanity space in the room to compensate for no counter space in the bathrooms. The staff could not be nicer or more accommodating. The bell captains, valet, etc go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. The valet even helped me pack my car (which was packed to the rim) upon leaving! Caroline Bean and the catering staff were very accommodating to all my special requests (ie. having a praline station for my guests) and gave wonderful recommendations for vendors for my wedding. All of my guests have complimented the outstanding food. It was the best food that many guests said they had ever had at a wedding! The shrimp and grits were out of this world. The seared tuna station and homemade praline stations were a HIT. The fried oysters, BBQ meatballs, Fried Green Tomato Moons with Goat Cheese and Pepper Jelly, Charleston Crab Dip, Crab Cakes, Baked Brie, etc were all excellent.

I stayed in a Traditional room when I went to scope the hotel out. It was comfortable and very clean. The rooms are not luxurious by American standards, but having lived and traveled in Europe for several years- I found the hotel to be extremely quaint. As stated before, it is a historic hotel- almost 90 years old, so the rooms are not like newer hotels- but that is what makes the hotel so charming! For the 4 night wedding weekend, my parents had the Mark Clarke Suite which was really nice and spacious. I had the harbor view suite which was extremely nice with 2 nice bathrooms. Our group booked between 65-70 rooms and none of the guests complained about the small rooms. Everyone was just raving about the food, location and they were all so impressed by the hotel's charm and service! The rooms were priced fairly for what they were! It really was the perfect wedding!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 January 2012

The staff was so friendly, knowledgeable and genuine fun to talk with. Our room was beautiful and had 2 seperate bathrooms! It wasn't a suite either. My husband and I (me mostly!) really enjoyed that! Beuatiful views from the room. Great Sunday mornign breakfast in the hotel's restaurant! Would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a 4-day trip to celebrate our anniversary and were generally very pleased with the experience. I noted in my online reservation that we were celebrating our anniversary, and the person who greeted us at check-in wished us a happy anniversary and informed us that we were receiving a complimentary upgrade to one of the penthouse suites. What a nice surprise!

The room was clean and comfortable and nicely appointed, though not nearly as high-end as I expect from a penthouse suite. The bathroom was in need of an update--the tiles on the floor had some exposed grout, and the shower/tub was dated.

Every staff member we interacted with was friendly and helpful.

The location is central to downtown and made it easy to walk everywhere--nowhere was more than 15-minute walk away, and that's a huge plus.

Given that we paid for a pretty standard room and got the upgrade to penthouse, this was an excellent value, but I have to say that I wouldn't pay the normal asking price for this penthouse suite. The extra space was nice, but the room was not luxurious enough to justify the additional cost.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rebecca S
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Charming, well decorated hotel lobby. Very comfortable king size bed and nicely decorated room. Love the history behind the hotel as well. We did not pick a Sweetheart Package but were greeted in our rooms by chocolate covered strawberries and Happy 20th Anniversary Card. How thoughtful! Excellent service from the staff, very knowledgeable about area attractions and restaurants. Very good location. We were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go, including multiple tours over a four day stay. The only not so positive feedback was the small bathroom, but it was clean and sufficed. Thank you to the staff for a great memory. We really leaned on the concierge for ideas and were never let down. We will stay there again. Starbucks right there was a huge plus too!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2012

I just wanted to take the time to write about the Francis Marion Hotel. We recently took a family trip to Charleston, South Carolina. Through websites I found the Francis Marion. We loved it!!!! It is a lovely, majestic hotel overflowing with grace. Our room was spacious, comfortable with the most unbelievable beds. Our whole family was comfortable.
The best part of this regal hotel is it's staff. The concierge helped us organize our stay. We grew to love Peter. Thanks, Peter. The bell staff was quick and eager to help. Everyone said hello and made us welcome. Southern hospitality at its best.
I highly recommend this hotel. It's right on the edge of town, where all the action is. A definite plus when you can get around on foot everywhere you might want to visit.

Room Tip: Top floors are best.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 January 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at teh Francis Marion. My guest room was well designed with a very nice new television, OUTSTANDING and crisp bed and well appointed bathroom. The owners did a fine job with their restoration work. We ate in the restaurant (very Good) and enjoyed a Starbucks many times over. As for teh location we never once went to the car, walked easily up and down King street, had a horse and carriage ride from the front of the hotel and enjoyed the park across the way. This is a very good choice and I WILL BE BACK

Room Tip: Go to Hall's Steakhouse !!!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 January 2012

This hotel is probably a 3 star, frankly speaking, but you can get a rate of about $170 and that's not bad for downtown Charleston. The lobby is large, moderately classy and just fine. The staff range from functional (nothing wrong with that) to very friendly and very helpful. We got great courtesy from the bellman at 11:30 PM on Christmas eve, who valeted our car, brought in our TEN pieces of luggage and got us ice, all with a smile. $50 tip he earned.... When we then asked housekeeping for 2 wine glasses to be brought, they were; and within 10 minutes! The girl was functional (not really pleasant, but who really cares) but fast! When we added my sister to the room for a couple of nights, they brought a comfortable cot, extra towels, and multiple pillows -- just fine!

The rooms are definitely dated, but aren't dilapidated. I found ours to be clean, and the bed very comfortable. The A/C blew nicely cold (yes, we like A/C even in winter), even if they came through old, 1960's boxy registers under the windows.

Bathrooms: Tiny doesn't do it justice. We could not get our toilet articles on the only tiny shelf surface that was available. And the toilets are ancient and "industrial" with some rust on the plumbing. That having been said, the paint was in good shape, the tub/shower looked recently renovated, it was clean, the water pressure adequate-to-good, there was no mold/mildew and the mirror was quite attractive.

Our room was quiet.

So it's good for the price. We will likely return.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family