“Charming Hotel, Great Location”

Francis Marion Hotel
Ranked #23 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I spent six night at the Francis Marion while attending a conference and post-conference committee meeting. The hotel has the charm of a well-restored historic hotel and my room and the meeting facilities were all very fine and well-maintained. The hotel staff (mainly the front desk staffers and restaurant staff) were all friendly and helpful. I had a chance to see one of the penthouse suites and, of course, that was even nicer than my standard room. I was really pleased with the location of the hotel. With a park right in front and the waterfront and Aquarium only a few blocks away, the hotel was, for me, perfectly situated. A couple hours of strolling past the magnificent houses and historic churches between the hotel and the battery, and back were some of the best sight-seeing time I have ever spent. I would be delighted to stay at the Francis Marion again and am glad that because it was the venue for my conference I had a chance to "get to know" this charming hotel.

Room Tip: If you cannot afford a penthouse suite on the 12th floor, ask for a room on the 11th floor - the vie...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 13 July 2012

I am delighted to hear that your stay here during your conference was enjoyable! Thank you for letting Trip Advisor readers know. I hope you can stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2012

We had a nice two-night stay at the Francis Marion. Upon arrival, they told us that they had upgraded us to a suite. Our room was very roomy with a bedroom, living area, and two full bathrooms. Both bathrooms were quite small, and they had several obvious hairs left in them (one of my pet peeves!) Another complaint was that the room was rather humid and muggy. On a positive note, the bed was very comfortable and the hotel staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

We appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience on Trip Advisor. I am happy to hear that overall your stay was good; however, I would like to apologize for the hairs in the bathroom and the tempature of the room. We make it a priority to listen to guests' concerns. To stay on top of these issues, I have shared your comments with our housekeeping and maintenance departments. We hope you will stay with us again!

Reviewed 6 July 2012

I was very pleased with the elegant lobby and upscale rooms in the Francis Marion hotel in Charleston, South Carolina. The staff at the front desk and the concierge were helpful and gracious. The location was in the heart of the city and accessible by foot or free trolley ride. We enjoyed a lovely and timely room service breakfast, and we loved the fish entree and chicken pot pie for dinner in the Swamp Fox Restaurant. Our service in the restaurant and bar was excellent too. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Thank you for recommending our hotel! I have shared your comments with our front desk, concierge, and restaurant staff. They love hearing positive feedback. We hope you can stay with us again.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

We had never been to Charleston before and wanted a convenient location to see the sights in the Historical district. It was even better than I had expected. The staff at he front desk were most helpful with any question we had. The accomodations were more than adequate, very clean and comfortable. All of the staff you encounter were friendly and helpful. The location is on one of the main corridors within the historical district so we could walk or take a convenient rickshaw ride within just minutes. Absolutley one of the nicest and friendly hotels we've stayed in. Would I recommend it to family, friends or anyone....you bet! Enjoy!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

I am delighted to hear that we helped to make your first trip to Charleston a wonderful experience! Thank you for letting Trip Advisor know that you enjoyed our hotel. We hope you will come back soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

We loved this hotel! Excellent service, excellent location. Even though hotel is old, it is classy and well maintained. The bathrooms are small, but that is the only downside to staying in this wonderful hotel. You can either walk or take a bike taxi to anywhere in this great little city. No need for a car if you stay here.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Lynn H
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share on Trip Advisor. We love that you loved your stay here and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 4 July 2012

Current management makes the best of an old gem in this historic city.

Service is fast, very courteous, and cheerful. Adam at the Front Desk goes the extra mile, if that is even possible with the flawless care exhibited by all Front Desk staff.

Agonizingly slow elevators are the only minus, but enough to prevent an "excellent" rating. They'll slow you down at every turn (got to the room and your key's not functioning? It'll be an extra 15 minutes to getting it handled).

Although the bathroom was small, it still had a bathtub and a few cleverly built shelves under the sink basin. The room decor was really lovely, with quality fixtures and furnishings. Free wifi. Bed a bit too soft for my taste, but we had a desk AND a vanity so two people can work in the room.

Excellent security with safe deposit drawers of all sizes and personnel very respectful of guest privacy in accessing these.

Nice, if slightly pricey restaurant on premises: The Swamp Fox, with view of park opposite.

Starbucks in the hotel makes for seamless access to espresso (the south generally still hasn't caught up to the concept of good coffee, so Starbucks is your best bet right now for good java).

Perfect location on edge of shopping district and a stone's throw from visitor center, museum, and some good houses with tours. 15 min walk to Charleston's best breakfast joint, the Hominy Grill (if you stay in hotels closer to the heart of the historic district, the walk to the Hominy Grill is that much further). Also close to gem "Virginia's Kitchen" for breakfast, lunch, dinner.

Room Tip: High floors have good views. South views are amazing, out to river and Ft Sumter. Rooms ending in...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank queen_of_expats
Management response:Responded 6 July 2012

Thank you for the detailed review of our hotel. I will let Adam and the front desk staff know about your wonderful comments. And we appreciate that you noticed how we tried to utilize the space in the bathroom and room to the fullest. Our elevators are a bit slower than those found in newer buildings, so I do apologize for that. We are looking at ways that we can upgrade and improve the elevators.

I hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed 24 June 2012

We stayed at the Francis Marion while visiting Charelston for the first time. Everyone recommended staying downtown which I knew would cost more but figured it was worth a try. I found a good deal online for this hotel and was extremely pleased. It was very nice and in a great location to walk to everything! I would highly recommend staying here as we plan to stay there again the next time we're in Charleston!

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank Waa91572
Management response:Responded 28 June 2012

Thank you for sharing on Trip Advisor! I am happy that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to you staying with us again next time you are in Charleston!