“Charleston charm”

Ranked #23 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Grand Cayman
“Charleston charm”
Reviewed 22 May 2013

This hotel was built in the 20s and still has a lot of the charm. Our room was very large, quiet, clean, comfortable bed and lounge area. We did not use any of the hotels facilities but reception staff were very friendly. It is in a good location for walking around the town, and also close to lots of bars, restaurants and shops. If you need a taxi to the airport call 843 2244299 as they are only $30 if you book in advance, such as the night before.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WanderingKats

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (740)
Stratford, Connecticut
Reviewed 21 May 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights in Aug of 2012 (yes this is a little late!) I have to write this review as I just stayed in another hotel and was horrible. I have to give the Francis Marion a 5 Excellent rating. The room was large, a little dated was the bathroom but clean and nice! Best part of this was that the hotel staff would bend over backwards to help you! Very knowledgeable of the city and great advise of where to eat. I think I had one of my top 10 restaurant meals at Magnolia's. 2 things that stand out are this- 1. our flight in was early and we had a rental. Planned to explore but then there was torrential rain. Called the hotel to see if we could check in early. No problem! the second is that I took a little bit of cash with me and when we checked out, I forgot to take it out of the safe. The housekeeper found this and the hotel tried to reach everyone and their mother!! Well almost! They called my brother, my boyfriends mom, my cell, his cell. Great urgency! Luckily we were still in the area (moved on to Myrtle Beach later that day) and when we got back the money was in a sealed envelope with the amount noted on the outside. Not a penny missing. Beautiful hotel, excellent staff and a great experience!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Two nights in May at the Frances Marion. The room, while clean and acceptable, lacked any sort of luster- the furnishings were old, it was small, and the bathroom was claustrophobically tiny.

The lobby is lovely, the food at the swamp fox restaurant was excellent, and the location is fairly central. Saturday morning has a farmer's market across the street, which is a neat touch.

The hotel staff were friendly and responsive, though it was hard to figure out when a pre-arranged shuttle to a wedding would pick me up. They did arrange a taxi to the airport on Sunday, though they offered conflicting information about the arrangements.

The worst part of the experience was waiting for the elevators, which took 5-10 minutes and didn't seem to follow any clear pattern. They are updating them, which is a much needed change.

This hotel has seen better days and is in need of an extensive renovation. For $200 or more a night, you can find better in a major metropolis.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
We appreciate the time you took to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I would like for you to know that we are continuously looking at upgrades and additions to keep our historic hotel beautiful. I know this does not change your experience, but I hope you can feel confident that we heard your concerns and are definitely responding to your suggestions. I hope you will give us a second chance.
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 17 May 2013

This place was a complete dump. The room smelled bad, as if the filthy old carpeting had been burning and/or was mildewy. The paint on the walls was chipped. The bathroom was cramped, small, and lacked elemental amenities. The visible plumbing was actually rusty. The room was tiny, and there was a foldout bed in a corner instead of a chair or couch. The carpeting in the hotel was threadbare. The lobby was lovely, complete with a concierge dressed like an undertaker who appeared to want to go home and gave answers to questions by showing me a brochure and pointing out that it already gave me the information I sought. The restaurant food was good, but the dishes, coffee pot, and cups were actually slightly dirty. The worst part of it was that this place was very expensive. My impression is that they are ready to liquidate it unless some new owner puts in millions of dollars to renovate it. Don't stay here.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank larry183
We are grateful that you have expressed your concerns on Trip Advisor. After reviewing your comments, I would like to apologize for the insufficient upkeep of your room. We understand this is no small matter and want you to know your concerns are valid and important to us. I have shared your feedback with our maintenance department, and they are fixing those things you mentioned in your room. Also, I have passed on your comments about the restaurant to the Restaurant Manager. Thank you, again, for your feedback.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 May 2013

I had a wonderful experience at the Francis Marion Hotel. I thought that great service was fond memories of the past until I had an event at this Hotel in Charleston, South Carolina. The Hotel is beautiful, with historical charms. But it is the service I received that prompted me to write this review. Besides typical courtesies that most hotel staff extend to hotel guest, Jesse Ordan, the Front Office Manager at the Francis Marion Hotel, really extended himself to provide excellent service. I had several gifts delivered to the Hotel for an event I was hosting there, and upon my arrival, Jesse offered to deliver them to my room, personally delivered several boxes, and also provided me with supplies so that I could alter the gifts to my liking. He was very accommodating, and offered services without request-on his own accord! How often does that happen nowadays! This type of service just does not happen often anymore. I really really appreciated Jesse's and the Hotel's accommodations and service! Also, in additional to the wonderful service I received, which I cannot give enough accolades, Swamp Fox the restaurant in the Francis Marion Hotel, in my opinion, serve the Best Shrimp and Grits in the City! I will definitely return to this Hotel when visiting Charleston. Great location, great food, and the best service anyone could expect! Five Stars!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sherry A
Brunswick, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Perfect location hotel. A little disappointed in the room. For the price was looking for better quality. The bed was comfortable but small for my husband and I. The bathroom was extremely small And there was mildew in the shower. It took a while For the room to cool down. The elevators were very slow and old. No refrigerator in the room.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2013

It has happened to me once or twice before: you pay for a hotel in advance and then you are charged again when you get there or leave. It was particularly egregious at the Francis Marion since having paid in advance, I checked out at the desk with the assurance that I owed nothing. But credit card statements showed that later the same day my card was charged the second time for staying at the hotel.

Room Tip: Walls are very thin, window rattled until I jammed it. WiFi was free and staff were generally pleasa...