“Excellent Location. Classic and Not Sterile”

Francis Marion Hotel
Ranked #23 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Wilton, Connecticut
“Excellent Location. Classic and Not Sterile”
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Stayed here on business and chose it because of location. I'm doing a project in downtown Charleston and have made it a practice to say in the downtown areas when possible. I was not disappointed. First off the hotel is located right in the heart of downtown Charleston and is walking distance from everywhere. Regardless of which direction you go on King Street you will find an incredible selection of shops and restaurants at every imaginable price point and type.

This is NOT a modern chain property. My room was small and decently appointed, but it's older and small. For my needs this was not a problem. I stayed on a high floor and it was reasonably quiet and the bed was comfortable. In a town like Charleston you are not likely to be spending a lot of time in your room.

The hotel has a friendly comfortable vibe, so I would definitely consider coming back.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (733)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 May 2013

When I arrived at the hotel, the concierge told me that he could check my family and I into a larger room that originally booked. "Awesome," until we got to room 305. It was tiny, and the bathroom was tiny. I wondered what the smaller rooms looked like if this was a "larger room." Our room had no view (Overlooked roof of some other part of the hotel) and we were right by the ice machines, vending machines, and elevator. First night in room 305 was the worst night I have ever had at a hotel. It sounded like a train was going by our heads every 10 minutes or so. I barely slept and at around 7 AM, I went to the front desk and requested a room change. The concierge was a different man and when I explained the noise, he said, "Oh, sounds like a train right?" I was absolutely furious that the hotel could have already been aware of the "train like" noise and had the audacity to LIE about putting my family in a larger room probably with hopes that we would not request a room change despite our inability to sleep. We were switched to room 1008 which was a bit further from the elevator (though we could still hear it at night) and was much larger than room 305. It had two bathrooms and a normal amount of bedroom space, with a nice view of the park. Although room 1008 was fine, I was so upset that the hotel put us in Room 305 that I vowed never to stay at this hotel again even though my friends and I are considering Charleston for a bachelorette party. Avoid the rooms that end in 05, and don't believe the concierge if he tells you he's putting you in a "larger room." He's probably just telling you that so you won't ask for a room switch.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank esjang_wharton14
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The Francis Marion Hotel had nice staff, and is close to shopping, but my accolades end there. This hotel is really showing its age.
To begin with, there are three adjacent elevators in the hotel, two controlled by one up/down call button, and a third elevator wired entirely independently with its own up/down call button. This obvious shortcut by the hotel results in painfully slow trips to simply get to and from your room. After all, with every guest's natural self-interest, we all press up or down on both panels and take the first arriving elevator, and the other elevator then makes a fruitless stop a minute later, reminding all the disappointed guests from the floors above of this bad set up.
The rooms are of reasonable size, but the bathroom we had was tiny, with an unsightly, industrial-looking toilet (I jokingly called it the "prison toilet" while staying there).
To further illustrate the dated nature of the rooms, let me share two anecdotes: First, I tried to plug in my cell phone to charge it, and found that there were zero unoccupied plugs in the room. When I unplugged a lamp to make room for my phone charger, I had to carefully prop the charger against the plug to prevent it from just falling right out and onto the floor under the power of gravity. Then, I wanted to watch a sporting event on TV, only to find myself longing for something more like standard-definition picture quality from the pre HD-days; this was something even worse, somehow.
Finally, the small couch in our room was badly in need of re-upholstering; it was the kind of thing you thing twice about before placing your garments on it.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The Francis Marion is an older hotel with lots of history and character, with an old-world feeling and a lot of charm. The location is sensational...right on King Street...the trolley is on the corner, the park is across the street and it is just perfectly located. The dinner at the Swamp Fox Restaurant was one of the best meals I have ever had, and I live in NYC~ The front-desk manager, Tori, could not have been more accommodating and pleasant. Charleston is a marvelous city to visit and I will return and have another wonderful stay at the Francis Marion.

1 Thank NS N
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Recently stayed at the Francis Marion Hotel. The staff is polite and friendly. The initial room they gave me was recently painted and had a strong paint fume smell. They upgraded me to a new room. Please be aware, it is an older hotel and their elevators are older, small and slow.

The hotel is in a great location and is within walking distance to many shops and restaurants.

Overall a good stay.

Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

We just had a business meeting at your hotel. It was a nice place. Across from the central park. Lots of places to shop close by. The restaurant in the hotel was good. People very friendly.We had a nice view from our window. I seen a big ship come in. Pretty view.

• Stayed May 2013
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Hotel is a charming reflection of Charleston at its finest. The rooms were very clean and spacious. We were part of a group of 28 retrired couples visiting Charleston for 3 days, and were pleasantly surprised at the great venue it provided us. It is great location with easy access to great shops, historic attractions and Charleston`s great dining,,including the one on premises which should not be overlooked.. Looking forward to returning once again in the near future.

Bill W.