“Top Notch Hotel in the middle of everything”

Francis Marion Hotel
Ranked #23 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Top Notch Hotel in the middle of everything”
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I parked my rental car in the adjacent lot and didn't use it again until I left 2 days later. This is a great old hotel with an impressive gilded lobby and well-trained, well-mannered staff right in thick of the city. While I was told that my room was 'upgraded', I didn't see how, given that the room was pretty small, as expected of older hotels in cities. But that's not really a disappointment: the bed was wonderful with lots of pillows, an ergonomic desk and chair (like someone actually designed the space for work to be done!), and fully appointed with nice towels and toiletries. I would definitely stay here again for either work or pleasure.

(If you park, make sure you get a receipt to show to the parking attendant for your hotel guest discount)

Room Tip: Higher is better. Charleston is a low-storied city, but this hotel is one of the tallest buildings...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (748)
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 11 June 2013

My husband and I stayed here during a recent trip to Charleston. This hotel is perfectly situated for exploring downtown. It is right on King Street, which is the main shopping area and walkable to many of Charleston's other attractions such as Waterfront Park, the Market and the Battery. As many reviewers have mentioned, the rooms are small and the bathrooms are tiny! I probably wouldn't recommend this place for an extended stay because of the small bathrooms, but it was perfect for a few days. The location of this hotel, at this price, could not be beat.

Washington, DC
Reviewed 11 June 2013

We stayed here for one night after booking through Hotwire. Got a great rate on this normally expensive hotel. I read a lot of the other reviews and was worried about a tiny outdated room and slow elevators. However I was pleasantly surprised. We asked for a larger room if possible upon check-in (anticipating small rooms anyway) and cited the need to have floor space for our two year-olds pack n'play.

I would say our room was huge, even by modern hotel standards (room 820). The room had two double beds, and a spare seating area with chairs and a table (we moved the chairs and it made the perfect sleeping nook for our daughter). I was concerned about noise because it was located right near the elevators, but honestly I don't recall any noise once we were in the room.

The bathroom was quite small, but adequate considering I wasn't spending all my time in there!

The location was great and we walked to the SC aquarium with ease, as well as the shops and restaurants along King St. The bellmen and valet were all very nice and gave us tips and suggestions. The front desk was also helpful and accomodating.

I didn't think the elevators were that bad. Maybe because i set my expectations low. They weren't speedy, but I didn't have to wait five minutes for an elevator or anything - and trust me that was a concern with a two year old on my hands.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Beaufort, South Carolina
Reviewed 11 June 2013

This was our second stay, we were in a deluxe room this time....the room was larger but bathroom still small. Room service was below average with the pecan pancakes being pancakes with a few pecans thrown in for too much money. The reason we stayed here and would again is the location to upper king and the price. If you can get a good deal, it's a nice stay...would not pay more than $200 a night but if you can find for this price...go for it! As I said before the lobby is beautiful and staff very nice too.

Reviewed 8 June 2013

After reading many of the reviews, I was not sure of what to expect upon arrival to the hotel. Recently, I stayed for three nights and here are my thoughts on the stay:

PROS:
-The hotel itself is gorgeous, beautiful, classic, architecture. Feels like "Charleston."
-At check-in the staff was informative and courteous.
-Great location. During my stay, Spoleto Festival was happening and there were vendors right across the street in Marion Square. You are in the middle the shops/restaurants/night life of upper King Street. Shopping is literally fantastic in the area with hundreds of shops within blocks. Also, you are only a 15 minute walk to the Market and East Bay Street.
-Our room was a "deluxe room." It had furniture appropriate for the this classic hotel. The room size was large enough for the two of us. It included two beds, two closets, a vanity, a desk, a dresser and a chair. Oddly enough, our room also had two bathrooms. As it seemed strange, it actually came in useful as the bathrooms are quite small and it allowed for me and my boyfriend to get ready simultaneously.
-Our view from the 5th floor over Marion Square was gorgeous with distant views of the Arthur Ravenel Bridge. I love Charleston's "skyline" as it is simply southern charm without any obstructing tall buildings.
-Our room was relatively updated, and I had no issues with old fixtures, odd noises or other peculiarities as others have posted.
-The conference rooms are GORGEOUS and their food is actually very good!

CONS:
-The elevator system. This is currently under construction, so I believe they are addressing this issue. The hotel has three elevators, however they operate on two different systems. It is very slow at times.
-Comforters. I am sorry, it's 2013 and despite this being a classic hotel, it's time time to ditch the comforters. For all I know, they may wash them between every guest- however, very doubtful. I find it disgusting to sit somewhere where people from all strides of life have done... other things.
-Parking. Nearby garage with $14/day parking. Some other local hotels offer onsite parking for free.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 7 June 2013

We checked in with a very nice and helpful clerk. It was a Sunday night and we were upgraded to a very nice room 10th floor on the corner of the building. Fantastic views of the river and harbor. Room was 100 square feet larger than what I reserved with as state unbelievable views. This is an OLD hotel (I appreciate the quaint old establishments) and the furniture is period correct but the bed was great. Great desk clerks, door men and location near all the new North King Street Restaurants.

1 Thank Gordon993
Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed 4 June 2013

We,too, stayed on the 8th floor and loved the room. Rather than "tired" the furniture was appropriate for a classic old hotel. The bathroom was small, but adequate for what one does there. The room was spacious , the a/c powerful and the bed really comfortable. We heard no noise, either from the street or adjoining rooms. The staff was super friendly. We will come back.