“Elegance at Affordable Prices”

Francis Marion Hotel
Ranked #23 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 20 June 2013

My spouse and I had the honor of staying at the Francis Marion Hotel in Charleston, S. C. for 4 days. We had an exceptional experience there and would recommend it to anyone planning a vacation or just passing through. The room was impeccably clean and comfortable. Your never saw any Housekeeping staff around. We lost an item and it was quickly retrieved by the Housekeeping Manager. A series of questions from him located the item in question within 15 minutes! The area surrounding the hotel was magnificent to walk around and to enjoy the sites. Restaurants were very good-go for the seafood, forget the burgers. There was so much to enjoy around historic Charleston. The room may be considered small, but you're not there to be in the room all day--get out and enjoy the sites. You just need a place to shower and sleep. It's just a charming hotel!!!

Room Tip: Get a room with a queen or king bed. This is an older hotel so the bathrooms may be a bit on the sm...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank evefrSI
Write a ReviewReviews (3,017)

Reviewed 19 June 2013

My family returned to the Charleston area after spending Memorial Day weekend off the peninsula. We wanted to experience historic downtown Charleston in the middle of everything Charleston.

We picked the "wrong" hotel for this experience. First our check in experience was not Southern Hospitality at its best. We had an obnoxious, overweight, sweaty man check us in. No hello, no how are you today, no welcome to Charleston, no have you been here before, "Nothing."

Then we get to the room and it is the size of an Amtrak sleeping car room. And; the bathroom was the size of a chemical toilet and smelled like one. The bathroom was not clean; black mold, rust on the fixtures and hair in the tub.

This hotel is on the National Historic Hotel Registry but is as far away from the standards of this type hotel as possible. The owner and managers that should be keeping the property at these standards must be absent from the property or just do not care and are just collecting a paycheck.

Very disappointed after a wonderful stay at another hotel in the area in Mount Pleasant.

Room Tip: Stay at another historic downtown property.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Katrick001
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I found found this hotel on Tripadvisor and booked purely on the reviews so there were no surprises for me.
A truelly grand old hotel in a central location in this beautiful city. The old lifts were a bit slow but are under going upgrades, the bed was comfortable but the bathroom was tiny. As I only stayed for one day this wasn't a problem because I didn't have time to be hanging around in my room. Breakfast was pretty good and car parking next door was easy.
I would definately go back again

Room Tip: I was just in a standard (last) room on the 4th floor across with a view across the Farmer's Mar...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Stephen M
Reviewed 17 June 2013

The Francis Marion Hotel's location is very convenient to shopping on King Street, many great restaurants and the College of Charleston campus. The rooms however are ridiculously small and the bathrooms are the size of a broom closet.
The staff was friendly and the room was clean, but with all of the fantastic hotels in Charleston I doubt that I would stay here again.
There's also not a pool which is a negative when the weather is warm.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

When I booked the room I was going to stay in here, I told the lady at the front desk that I was going to be staying for my honeymoon. She told me "wow that's awesome, I'm super glad that y'all picked here for y'all's honeymoon. Because it is your honeymoon I will go ahead and give you and upgrade for the same price." I told her that was awesome, but I didn't know what kind of upgrade she had given us. When my wife and I checked in they told us that yes we had been upgraded and that we had been upgraded to a suite!!!! How awesome is that??? The service here is outstanding and everybody is friendly and helpful on giving out information on the best places to go around Charleston. I would definitely recommend anybody staying here.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Jharkins8403
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Beautiful classic old hotel. We had a fantastic corner room and had both city and water views. We were right across the street from the Saturday mornings Farmers Mkt. king St shopping is just steps away.

Loved the room, however don't expect a big spacious bathroom, remember this is an olddddd hotel!! Staff were always friendly, welcoming and helpful. There is garage parking next door with a somewhat reduced parking rate with hotel stay.

Room Tip: Try for upper level corner room!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Our daughter was married in Charleston and we reserved a block of rooms at this hotel. Our guests were pleased--loved being able to park their car and walk to everything. We hosted a post wedding brunch and everyone was very attentive to our needs and our guests. The food was delicious and the room was set up hours before the event so there was not a thing for us to be concerned about. We have stayed at The Francis Marion in the past and will stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room faced Calhoun Street and the traffic noise was not an issue.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple