“Location good”

Francis Marion Hotel
Ranked #23 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 20 October 2013

The location was really good, close to restaurants and shopping and the service was very good....but the room not so good. The pillows too firm, temp control didn't seem to work correctly, knocked out half the power to the room on first night, had to call maintenance,,, he wasn't too friendly, remote control didn't work except to turn on and off tv. Now on to the bath...very very tiny, no hooks to hang anything, only one small shelf. Room itself is an average size but please overhaul the bath to make larger of course that is not doable unless you loose some rooms.

Room Tip: Second floor room was not noisy, elevator slow so not as many steps to go up and down if you do not...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

I'm sorry to hear you weren't completely comfortable in your room, Allie. Nothing is more important to us than our guests' satisfaction, which is why I appreciate you speaking up about your stay. Rest assured that we're in the process of addressing the issues you pointed out in your review as we speak!

Best,

Reviewed 19 October 2013

We stayed for a long weekend for a wedding. The location is excellent, walkable to so many downtown locations. The staff was very friendly and helpful, always making us feel welcome. We had a few special requests that were fulfilled without question. An older hotel, the lobby is grand and the rooms well appointed. Not all the rooms are identical and one of the rooms we reserved for 4 people was a smaller room - but they gladly gave us a different room that was larger. Bathrooms were small but not unexpected in an older building. The only drawback was that one of the elevators was out of service for renovation - so the wait was a bit longer at times.

Room Tip: Request a view on king street as Marion Square is a delight.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Thanks for staying with us, Liz! It was a pleasure to have you and your party here at the Francis Marion. Our staff will be just as thrilled as I am with your generous recommendation!

Until next time,

Reviewed 17 October 2013

The Francis Marion is a beautiful hotel in a great location, but it's definitely got some flaws.

The hotel, originally built in 1924, has a wonderful multi-level lobby with lots of places to sit, the rooms are elegant looking, and it generally has the feel of a great old hotel. Moreover, you don't need to rent a car to stay there. There are convenient and reasonably-priced ($15 per person) shuttles to and from the airport, and there are far more restaurants within walking distance than you'll ever be able to try, starting with a very good one within the hotel, the Swamp Fox.

But it has some problems, too. Things I noticed in a three-day stay included: my toilet was running when I got to the room (although I just had to reach into the tank to adjust the float to fix it); the internet is always slow, and sometimes spotty; I tried to exercise on a treadmill one morning, but the first one I tried never did come on, and the incline feature on the second one didn't work. There were little things, too, like the fact that the thermostat in my room was set at 55 when I arrived, and the fact that the guest services book is one of the least helpful I've ever seen (I just stumbled across the exercise room).

On the whole, I enjoyed my stay, but you can't be too picky.

3  Thank ANSMET4
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with a detailed list of areas for improvement! We're always looking for ways we can preserve the past while making sure our guests are comfortable, so I have no doubt your feedback will come in handy soon. Do you remember what room you stayed in? I'd like to address the issues with the thermostat and toilet as soon as possible!

Best,

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Absolutely spoiled by this hotel. Staff was the courteous I've ever encountered and went above and beyond. Room was comfortable. A bit of street noise at night was my only complaint.Very convenient to shopping and restaurants. Will definitely being staying again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

And we're absolutely spoiled by your review! Thanks for your kind words about both our accommodations and our staff. We can't wait to welcome you back again soon!

Until then,

Reviewed 12 October 2013

I stayed 3 nights at the Francis Marion Hote a week ago. I am giving it 3 stars for the location, cost and friendly staff. The location on King Street is very good and the cost per night is reasonable. Having said that, I felt the hotel was "shabby chic".. The room was reasonably clean but had very dated furniture and the bathroom was tiny with cracked tiles and a very old look.
Considering the location, the hotel can certainly spend some money on refurbishings to bring it up to standards of better hotels in Charleston.
I would be willing to stay here again if there was a major renovation.
I only dined at the Swamp Restaurant once and it was very good with very nice service.

Room Tip: Room 1012 had great views but a very tiny and OLD bathroom.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Thanks for taking the time to equip us with such valuable feedback. I agree that our location can't be beat, but I'm sorry you weren't as impressed with the building as you were with our proximity to the heart of Charleston. We're actually always working on upgrades to improve our historic hotel, and I have no doubt your suggestions will help us preserve the past!

Safe travels,

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Older hotel with charm and hospitality. The lobby is fantastic. I ate a few times in their restaurant during my stay, and once had room service. It was great. Since Charleston is a walking city, the Francis Marion is very accessible to the shops on King Street, restaurants, as well as the harbor. Only complaint was the size of the bathroom - very small. However, since I was travelling alone, it was a minor issue. Great hotel; great city.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Thanks for following up with us, Richard! It's great to hear our Southern charm made an impression on you. I hope you'll keep us in mind next time you're planning a trip to Charleston!

Safe travels,

Reviewed 7 October 2013

The entire staff in every department went above and beyond in friendliness and accommodating our every need. The most comfortable beds I've ever slept in at a hotel and extremely clean. The only thing is I wish they had a small refrigerator in the room, but we had a cooler so it all worked out. Would love to stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Your best hotel stay ever? We're flattered! To say we're thankful for your thoughtful recommendation is an understatement, Kathleen. We hope to have you back again soon!

Until then,