“Perfect location, great rooms and service!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Francis Marion Hotel

Francis Marion Hotel
Ranked #24 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Baltimore, Maryland
“Perfect location, great rooms and service!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

My husband and I visited here in April. Rooms were comfortable and clean. We were able to walk everywhere we wanted or could pick up the circular bus. Restaurant is surprisingly good. Try the goat cheese grits!-- really excellent. We hit a patch of rain, but the city is gorgeous, and the people are friendly.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vacationer60811
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
This is just what we like to hear! I really appreciate you following up with us after your stay. Please keep us in mind next time you're planning a trip to Charleston!

Gayle Karolczyk, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (726)
New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

The hotel sits on a nice park in a great location on King Street. Was perfect for the college of Charleston visit and there are tons of dining and nightlife options close by. To walk to the market area was about 15min and to the water probably 20-25. But they are beautiful walks with plenty of shopping. The hotel lobby was nice enough, very open and airy, staff was very friendly, got us in some of our rooms early. We had about 6 rooms in total reserved. All of the rooms were somewhat dated, paint peeling, furniture beat up a bit, moulding chipped etc. But it added a nice bit of character and was fine by me. The bathroom is very small and also dated, but worked just fine for one person (unless one person is showering, the bathroom can only hold one person at a time). There is also a starbucks and a very nice lounge restaurant in the lobby. The food at the restaurant was quite good. Overall, its a nice hotel that could benefit from a little updating to support its price, but I would recommend it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thanks for staying with us when you were in town visiting the college! It's great to hear you enjoyed the historic aspects of our hotel, and I appreciate you pointing to some areas for improvement in your review. We're continually working to better our historic hotel, and your suggestions will help us preserve the past!

Sunset, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We held a 50th High School reunion at the FM and overall it was handled in an outstanding fashion. 35 attendees were shown a great time, good food, great service and a fabulous spot to see the great city of Charleston.

The hotel is 'different' with rooms varying in size and amenities. We had issues with air conditioning in a suite that took too long to correct. Personnel are fabulous, everyone was most impressed.

The personnel who supported the actual dinner and reunion were great--- day to day operations could be better.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for celebrating with us! I'm delighted to hear your guests enjoyed the reunion as much as we enjoyed having you here. I received your meeting evaluation and investigated our air conditioning issues in your hospitality suite; unfortunately our team did not communicate the repair schedule with your group. I sincerely apologize and hope you know the issue is being addressed.

Thanks,
Summit, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

I normally wait til after a visit to a hotel to write a review, but the front desk here needs an immediate round of applause.
After a grueling 21 hour trip, with flight delays, a flight cancellation, and then a 2 hour car trip to another airport, so I could get Charleston to celebrate Mother's Day, I finally arrive at The Francis Marion.
First, I spoke to a friendly and supportive manager on the phone, Seanan...to make the unexpected changes to my reservation yesterday. Then after the exhaustive trip , I am greeted with smiling faces, and a genuinely warm "welcome," by Katie and Kerri- Leigh.
Lastly, the hotel manager, Peter, stops to introduce himself and Welcome me also....
After a grueling trip, that started yesterday, I finally relaxed, breathed deep and smiled....a truely wonderful experience at the front desk~

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Your review is music to my ears! I'm sorry you had such a difficult trip, but I'm delighted to hear you were able to kick back and relax when you finally arrived. The rest of the team will be just as grateful for your kind words as I am!

Best,
Irvine, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

The hotel probably deserves 3.5 stars but my (poor) experience lowers my rating to 3. I stayed in room 614. It is an old establishment with a variety of problems that are annoying given the high price: no ventilation in the bathroom (and smells stay long :( ); poorly working air condition; horrible acoustics (you hear both the street and what is going on in the hall). The good: free internet albeit not without problems. Now subtracted 1/2 star: after one night, they moved me to a different room, which was not only inconvenient but prevented me from attending one conference session. Staff was polite but nor competent; the apologies offered every minute are not a good substitute for efficient service. Good: they organized the move very efficiently. The last interaction with the hotel was booking a town car which was supposed to cost $30; the actual cost was $40 (the driver showed me their price list and I believe him). Overall, wouldn't return here and wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
I'm sorry your experience with us wasn't what you expected. However, we appreciate you taking the time to write a review. Please know that I hear what you're saying, and I'm going to keep this feedback in mind going forward!

Thanks,
Cape May Court House
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

We stayed three nights this past week and had an excellent time. The check in was quick and efficient, but our room was not what we requested online. The problem was corrected immediately and we ended up with a better room with a better view then the original one. The location was OK for touring the historic sites , though it is on the outer fringe. We did do some walking, but that is expected in Charleston. The free trolley stops very near the front entrance.We found the restaurant (Swamp Fox) very good and within the price range for this type of establishment. The service was also excellent and food good. The only negative was the bathrooms are very small, but that is to be expected in an older historic hotel. Stay there; you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Request a good view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wanderer46342
Thanks for spreading the word about us after your stay! Although I'm sorry about the confusion over your room, I'm relieved to hear that didn't keep you from enjoying your visit. I hope you'll keep us in mind next time you're planning a trip to Charleston!

Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Our stay at The Francis Marion was exceptional. I stayed in a corner deluxe king room with a view of Marion Square, which I was told hosts the third largest farmers market in the country, on Saturday. I don't know if that's true but there were a great deal of vendors selling everything from fresh local veg to hand made jewelry. The street perfomers near the fountain were great! Not to be missed!

The hotel is right on the FREE Trolley route. The trolley will take you to Waterfront Park and the City Market. You can also walk to Battery Park from the hotel (1.5 miles), which I recommend. You can see so much more if you walk. The hotel is beautifully decorated in keeping with old world charm. Solid wood doors and what seemed to be original wood windows.

The service is very good. The front desk staff very attentive and the doormen very helpful. The Swamp Fox restaurant had a great breakfast buffet. We ate there every morning. Also convenient was the Starbucks across from the restaurant. After a long day of site seeing you can grab a cup of go juice before you head to dinner. Within walking distance to Halls Chophouse and several other local eateries. The ONLY downside to the location is that there are a lot of college age folks so be careful walking down the sidewalk after 10PM. Someone may fall onto, next to, at you. Yes, at you. But, it makes for some great people watching!

Room Tip: The corner suites above 6th floor have fantastic views.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
I'm thrilled that you got to experience the Marion Square farmers market when you were here! Thanks for taking the time to write about your stay. I've no doubt other reviewers will appreciate your attention to detail as much as I do!

Until next time,