“A charming traditional hotel.”

Francis Marion Hotel
Ranked #23 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Having stayed in the Waldorf Astoria NY and the Palmer House in Chicago,we knew what to expect here- magnificent public rooms and small bedrooms. We loved our room with amazing views over the town, and had a delightful stay here.
From the moment we arrived, having been misled by our GPS, it was lovely to hand over the car to be valet parked and a very pleasant welcome from everyone.
Breakfast very good, and it was great to cross the Square to the Farmers' Market on the Saturday morning. We ate one night in the restaurant which was excellent,especially the Pecan Pie!
As most people mention, the bathrooms are very small, but this is usual in historic hotels and not really a deal breaker for us! Location could not be better, and for first time visitors like us an ideal choice.e

1  Thank Bonzorino
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

I'm so glad you were able to take advantage of the farmers' market when you were here! We love having it right across the square, and it's great to hear you did, too. I hope you'll keep us in mind next time you're planning a trip to Charleston!

'Til then,
Gayle Karolczyk, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,053)

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Well located older hotel. Service was friendly and professional. The room was just OK for us. The beds were comfortable and the room was quiet. However, the bathroom was very small, with barely enough room for one person. It is also in need of some significant updating, particularly the tub, which was chipped and rusted in spots. Also, the cooling system was erratic, in that, unless the temperature was set to freezing, the room felt warm and humid.

I'd consider a newer hotel for the money.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

I was disappointed to read the Francis Marion didn't leave a better impression on you! Although ours is an older hotel, the last thing we want is for our guests to be uncomfortable in their rooms. Did you let the front desk staff know about the problems with your air conditioner and tub? If not, please let me know what room you were in. I'd like to get those issues resolved as soon as possible!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

yes its reception is lovely and staff very friendly but felt pretentious and yet the rooms are very average. walls very thin, noisy hotel and pretty dated. You could stay at a new modern hotel just as centrally based for better value. Facilities limited. car parking is next door so no need for valet parking.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

While it's disappointing to hear you didn't enjoy your stay more, I appreciate you following up with this feedback. Do you have any suggestions on what we can do to modernize our rooms while maintaining the historic charm we're known for? We're always open to suggestions from our guests!

Kindly,

Reviewed 15 June 2014

My wife, nine year old daughter and I stayed here four nights in a double room beginning Memorial Day. The location was very good, only a few blocks walk from the South of Broad area, and in the middle of shops, restaurants, and across the street from Marion Square. We were able to walk most anywhere we chose to go, and only needed a cab for a 10 minute ride to Hominy Grill on a hot and steamy late morning.

The property feels like a historic property inside and out, but has some modern touches on the bottom floor to feel a little fresh - Starbucks with lots of large windows, full glass doors and entrance area at the valet and on south side. The lobby exudes old time opulence with high ceilings and chandeliers and just feels classy. The building is old, but the entrance and lobby areas don't feel outdated except for the tourist attraction brochure nook that clearly used to be a pay phone area (but who cares what the attraction brochure area looks like!).

I expected the room to be much smaller than it was - I had originally booked a king bed room assuming we'd be able to add a rollaway bed - when I asked for the rollaway, they said the room type couldn't fit a rollaway due to the fire code. Uh oh. Must be puny. Nope, the two double bed room had plenty of room for three of us to live for four days in grouch-inducing heat and humidity. It was plenty comfortable, and the beds were nice. There are updated features inside the rooms (flat screen TV) but still some older style furnishings to not abandon it's history (multiple mirrors, desks in older style).

The only complaint about the room is the bathroom. It was very small and cramped. The toilet was just the pipes and the bowl, no tank, which was very strange. The sink area was small without a lot of shelving, but they made up for that with shelving under the sink (not a cabinet, it was open). The shower was just fine size wise, and had decent water pressure. The bathroom size was by no means a dealbreaker as far as our enjoyment of the room, but it was small.

The only other complaint about the property was the slow elevators, but again this never was an issue so it had no effect on our stay. AC wasn't a nuisance, shut out curtains help in the morning, and housekeeping was knocking on the door incessantly or too early.

The staff we encountered were all very helpful and kind. Only issue there was their inability to contact me when our room was ready despite us sitting in the lobby and them having my cell number - that was strange and not exactly accommodating, but the rest of our experience was very nice.

I'd recommend the Francis Marion hotel. Good location, well run, good room, old world charm, good service. It's not a modern marvel, and you can't raise a racehorse in the bathroom, but it's stood the test of time pretty well.

Room Tip: A high room minimizes road noise
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DragonwMatches

Although I'm sorry we didn't communicate more clearly with you on the status of your room, I'm relieved to hear that didn't keep you from enjoying your stay! Thanks for spending Memorial Day with us, and thanks for following up with us on TripAdvisor afterward. Other reviewers will appreciate your attention to detail just as much as I do!

Safe travels,

Reviewed 14 June 2014

My husband and I had actually stayed here back in July 2013 and I'm just a little late with my review. Hotel needs a little updating but the staff, bed and location was perfect! I'd stay here again! This was actually a little mini honeymoon gift for us from the in-laws. I'd say the only complaint would be the size of the bathroom; otherwise the suite we got was lovely. My mother-in-law had also ordered us champagne and fruits to surprise us but we never got it. I'm hoping she got reimbursed.

Pros:
walking distances to shops
Starbucks around the corner
Lots of restaurants within walking distances
Lovely staff
Full amenity hotel (room service and whatnots)

Cons:
Really just the size of the bathroom it was tiny tiny for a suite

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

We're so honored your in-laws chose us for your honeymoon treat, and that we didn't disappoint! We really appreciate you taking to TripAdvisor to spread the good word about us. Thanks for your constructive feedback, too -- small bathrooms unfortunately come with the territory of an older hotel, but I'm glad to hear you were otherwise so impressed by your suite. I'm sorry to hear there was some confusion regarding your champagne and fruits, though -- if there's any doubt as to whether or not your mother-in-law was charged, please feel free to reach out to us off-line. It's great to know you'd be glad to visit us again, and I truly hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back!

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Clean, lovely room with a perfect location, within walking distance of so much Charleston has to offer. Yes, the bathroom was small, an there aren't loads of room extras, but I don't spend much time in my room anyway! I like getting out and about the town, exploring other places and experiencing the food. The staff was so friendly, knowledgeable, and always willing to help. Would stay there again, and I hope to come back and visit Charleston.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

It means the world to know our staff impressed you so much during your visit -- I can't wait to share that with the whole team! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the rest of your time in Charleston, too -- it's a lovely town we're proud to call home. We'd love to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Enjoyed the historical feel of this hotel could't ask for a more polite staff..wonderful concierge services...sort of on the edge of town but very easy to get around. we felt it was a excellent choice for the Charlston experience. ..you can stay in a chain hotel anytime. our room was spacious and comfortable..would ask for harborview next time

Room Tip: ask for harborview..my friend had cornerview..also nice
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Welcome to TripAdvisor, Connie! I'm thrilled to know you enjoyed the historic feel of our hotel, and that our friendly staff impressed you so much. That's exactly what we aim for. We're already looking forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Charleston -- we'll get that room with a harbor view at the ready!