“OLD CHARM GREAT SERVICE”

Francis Marion Hotel
Ranked #23 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Statesville,NC
“OLD CHARM GREAT SERVICE”
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Building is old and very historic. You feel like you are lost in time. Service was exceptional. Location is great. With that said, the only downfall is bath is small with almost no counter space. It is a old building. But service and location are great equalizers

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Reading that you felt like your stay with us was a trip back in time absolutely made my day! We've worked hard to preserve the historic charm of the Francis Marion, so it's always great to hear when people really take notice. Hope to have you back next time you're in Charleston!

Safe travels,
Gayle Karolczyk, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (735)
Graham, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My daughter's wedding was held at the Citadel Chapel yesterday, and her rehearsal dinner and reception were held at the Francis Marion Hotel. The majority of the guests stayed there. The hotel staff all went above and beyond to ensure our stay and our events were absolutely wonderful (decorations, food, service). My wife and I stayed in a suite, and we were treated like royalty. Stephan Parker, in charge of my daughter's rehearsal dinner and reception is truly a professional. He ensured both events were perfect. The hotel ballrooms, lobby, and rooms are beautifully furnished. I highly recommend anyone wanting to explore Charleston, or to have a perfect place for a wedding reception or any other event to choose the Francis Marion Hotel. The staff made our stay and our special time (daughter's wedding) one I'll never forget. Thanks so much! I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
It was an absolute pleasure to host your daughter's rehearsal dinner and wedding reception, James! I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed the weekend just as much as we enjoyed having you here. The fact that you followed up with such a delightful recommendation is just the icing on the cake!

Best wishes,
Phoenix
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This is a beautiful, charming, older hotel. The rooms are smaller, but are quite nice and comfortable. The hotel has taken great care to make its facility inviting and pleasant. It has some of the quirks you would expect in an older building, like small elevators, but don't let that detract from its excellence. The staff is great; the location is wonderful. It is within a very short walk to many interesting sites and great restaurants. I will surely stay there again on my next trip to Charleston.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
We can't wait to have you back, Marilyn! It's great to hear you're a fan of the historic charm we've worked so hard to preserve over the years. Other reviewers will appreciate your attention to detail just as much as I do!

Until next time,
Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Just returned home from a fantastic stay at the Francis Marion. We were there for our annual seminar and stayed about one week. From bell captain to restaurant to hotel staff, this hotel showed southern hospitality in every way. Helpful, courteous, and always providing #1 customer service. Just can't recommend this hotel enough, whether you are thinking about having an event there or just on vacation. Great location for nightlife, food or walking to the sights of Charleston. a historical hotel with all the amenities. Kudos to the staff at the Francis Marion-- they know how to do it right!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
I can't say enough good things about your recommendation! Thank you so much for your kind words to our staff. I hope you'll keep us in mind next time you're planning a trip to Charleston -- whether for business or pleasure!

Safe travels,
Waverly, Ohio
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I attended a business conference earlier this week at this hotel. It was my first trip to Charleston and what a beautiful city with a wonderful hotel and staff! Love the fact that it's an older hotel. I have to say though that the staff is what makes it special. Every single person you encounter is eager to please you in any way they can. Upon arrival and check in, I found that my room had only a shower with no tub. I called the front desk and not only did Marika find me another room on the same floor, but she was there within 3 minutes (literally) with a new key and insisted upon moving my luggage herself to my new room. What an asset to your hotel! She was friendly, professional, courteous, and a tremendous first impression of your hotel!! Kudos to the Francis Marion!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Your recommendation is music to my ears! Thank you so much for your compliments to both our hotel and our staff. Marika and the rest of the team undoubtedly will appreciate your kind words!

Until next time,
Anderson, South Carolina
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Recently spent 3 nights at this historic hotel in Charleston. This hotel is beautiful inside and out, and you feel the history of the place as soon as you walk in the lobby. It is in a great location within walking distance of many excellent restaurants, bars and shopping. We had a suite on the 5th floor. The suite was large, clean and had nice furnishings. The sitting room included a sofa, chair, coffee table, dining table for 3 and a television. There was a small refrigerator in the cabinet under the tv the bedroom had a king bed, desk, makeup table, and a dresser with a flat screen television. There were two small closets in the suite (one in each room). We were very happy with the suite and pleased with the decor and the cleanliness. The only drawback to this suite (and this hotel) are the bathrooms. They are very small. In fact, the bathrooms are smaller than most cruise ship bathrooms. I suppose this is to be expected because the hotel was built in the 1920s, but even knowing this, the bathroom is a huge disappointment and an inconvenience. It is impossible for more than one person to stand in the bathroom. The toilet is even smaller than a standard toilet and there is still no room whatsoever to move. Friends traveling with us chose not to stay at the Francis Marion specifically because of the small bathroom. In fact, words can't describe just how small it really is. The Francis Marion is a great historic hotel. I would highly recommend it for a short weekend visit to Charleston. It is obvious that much money has been spent on updates and furnishings, but it is a shame that the old construction prevents them from remodeling and enlarging the bathrooms. Having endured the complaints of my wife and kids for 3 days about the bathroom issue, I doubt the Francis Marion is in our future.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Although I'm sorry the size of our bathrooms inconvenienced you and your family, I appreciate you understanding that it comes with the territory when you stay in a historic hotel. The good news is that we do have rooms with two bathrooms, and it sounds like that would be ideal for you, your wife, and your children. Next time you're planning a trip to Charleston, I hope you'll consider that as an option!

Warm regards,
Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Our association recently held its annual seminar at the Francis Marion Hotel in Charleston. This historic hotel checked off every wish for the perfect meeting. Every department exceeded my expectations and were a joy to work with. I have planned our seminar for over 20 years and the Francis Marion Hotel and staff rank at the top of my list of favorite hotels. I highly recommend this hotel for its meeting services, friendly staff, location, and management.
Christine Brune, American Horse Publications

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
We checked off every wish for the perfect meeting? What a wonderful compliment, Christine! The fact that every department exceeded your expectations is just the cherry on top of a fantastic recommendation. I know you stated that you typically do not repeat a location, but we absolutely loved your group. I hope you'll come back to see us again one day.

Very best,