“Outstanding”

Ranked #23 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Damascus, Maryland
“Outstanding”
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

The location can't be better. We were upgraded to a suite so this way exceeded our expectations. Great staff, clean rooms and it's a historic property. You won't regret staying here! Easy walk to all of the action so your car will sit. Nice little fitness facility was a huge plus.

Stayed July 2014
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thanks so much for your kind words on your stay! I'm very flattered by your kind words, and I hope you'll be back to visit again soon. Wishing you safe travels in the meantime!

Gayle Karolczyk, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (740)
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed for one night and were impressed by the staff. They were very willing to at all turns.
i look forward to going back. The room was smaller than I imagined but this is an older hotel.
We had drinks at the Swamp Fox and the bartender made us drinks that were mot on the standard menu. Thanks to the front desk for having what my wife needed to treat some nasty blisters.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
I'm very pleased to hear that you were so impressed with the staff, Frank! Can't wait to have you visit again soon, and our team wishes you safe travels in the meantime.

Much appreciated,
Chapin, South Carolina
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The Francis Marion Hotel is EXCELLENT in every way. The location is perfect to shopping, restaurants and the water front. From the time we were greeted by the front desk staff, we were treated like royalty.
The rooms were clean and comfortable. We were there for a conference. I found the space and service from that staff to be just as stellar.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view!!! BEAUTIFUL
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
I'm so pleased to hear that you were impressed with your recent stay! Thanks for taking the time to write -- it's wonderful to hear what you thought. Hope you had a safe trip home, and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Francis Marion for 4 nights while in town for a friend's wedding. Every staff member we interacted with was above and beyond welcoming and helpful. The room was a good size, very comfortable bed, and well maintained. It was a prime location for walking and exploring the town; around the corner from shopping, great food, and historical sites. We loved being able to walk across the street on Saturday to enjoy the farmer's market in Marion Square! Great place to stay in with a warm, historic charm.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
It means so much to hear that you were impressed with your stay, Angela! I'm pleased that you enjoyed the staff, as well as the rooms. Hope you'll be able to return to Charleston for another visit to see us soon.

Best wishes in the meantime,
Killen, Alabama
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel has a great location in Charleston where all the shopping is. The lobby is beautiful. You must keep in mind this is a old hotel so some of the rooms are smaller than your average new hotels. I found my room was comfortable and bed sleep good. Room and bathroom were clean. The only reason I'm not giving a higher score is because of the front desk staff never addressed a problem with a free bottle of wine voucher I was due to receive. It was not in my room and I inquired about it with the lady at front desk who although was nice never corrected the problem.

Stayed July 2014
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
I'm sorry to hear about your voucher confusion, Andrea. I want to assure you that our team is very sorry that this happened. I will definitely address the issue with our team and appreciate your comments.

Moore, South Carolina
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Whether you are spending a weekend or having an event you will enjoy your stay.you can walk to most places and if you need to use your car there is easy parking or valet. We needed to use a cab one night and one was provided within 2 minutes. I am a former store manager and I know what customer service is and should be. The staff understands that their paycheck comes from the customer coming in their doors and they obviously want to earn theirs. Have yourself a wonderful experience in Charleston and I promise you will want to go back.

Room Tip: Couples get the rooms that have 2 bathrooms. Most helpful when you are on tight schedule getting to...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
What a lovely review to read, Jane! Thanks for the wonderful tips for future guests, and I'm very pleased to hear that you were impressed with our amenities and staff. Looking forward to welcoming you back in the future!

All the best,
North Carolina Coast, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This hotel is wonderful! My daughter was touring the College of Charleston and we had friends that recommended this hotel. They spoke very highly of this hotel. And they were so right! When my family and I arrived in the evening, our room was not ready. However, the night manager was very accommodating and offered us a free breakfast the following morning. It was such nice gesture since I had not complained about the room not being ready. It was only a few minutes later and our room was ready. The bell hop, a student at College of Charleston, was very friendly and even answered our questions about the College. The room had a sweet fragrance and was beautifully decorated! I love the make up table and lighted mirror. The beds were very comfy. When we were ready to check out, my husband spoke with a lady, the manager. She was very friendly and shared much information about the city and the college. Our stay was very enjoyable and we will definitely stay at the Francis Marion again when we visit Charleston! I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thanks to your friends for recommending us, and thanks for staying with us while touring the college, Lisa! I'm very pleased to hear about your experience, and it means so much to hear that you and your daughter felt very comfortable during your stay. Hopefully you'll be able to visit us again soon!

Safe travels,