“Great location, rooms ok.”

Francis Marion Hotel
Ranked #23 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Toronto, Canada
“Great location, rooms ok.”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I am giving this hotel a 4/5 but would rather give it a 3.5/5. The location of the hotel is excellent, and the staff are quite friendly and helpful. Having said that, the hotel itself is quite old so for that reason, the rooms are quite small. Our room on the 10th floor was tiny, and had two tiny beds and a tiny washroom. It didn't have the basic amenities that almost every other hotel does (fridge, safe in room). The beds were comfortable but could have been better. Everything other than the room was great about this hotel, but obviously that's quite important. Since I booked this hotel on hotwire, and got a great price, I feel that it was good value. But if I had paid much more than what I did, I would have been disappointed.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thanks for letting me know what you thought of your recent stay. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the location and staff, but I wish we could've made your room even more comfortable. Hope you'll be back to stay with us the next time you're in Charleston, and our team wishes you safe travels!

Take care,
Gayle Karolczyk, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (735)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I would not reccomend this hotel. While the location was great, the hotel itself needs some serious updates. I understand it is a historic hotel but having a power strip (the kind you have at work) as your power source is just tacky. The room I was put in initially didn't even have a lock and it took a few calls to the front to get switched to another room. Underwhelmed!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
I wish we could've impressed you on your visit. Thanks for reaching out about what you thought could be improved -- your feedback is helpful. Our team takes great care to put each guest's needs first, and I wish your transition to a new room could've been even smoother. Your feedback is much appreciated, and I hope you'll consider staying with us again whenever in the area. Safe travels!

Take care,
Boston
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I recently attended a wedding at the Francis Marion Hotel. My husband and I flew in for the event, and it was a complete and total success! The banquet event staff was absolutely phenomenal and completely in tune to the needs of the guests. They went way above and beyond to ensure our comfort, even making my husband an extra plate of food from the kitchen when he got hungry from all of the dancing! The room that the wedding was held in was gorgeous and they flipped it during the cocktail hour so quickly and smoothly, that it was almost unnoticeable. I wish I could remember everyone's name to mention them, but there were just so many wonderful people that I couldn't. We did receive a lot of help from Carrie and Esther, and they were both so kind and caring. It made the whole wedding such a wonderful experience for all of us. I would definitely recommend the Francis Marion for a wedding or any other event.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
I'm so happy to hear that you were able to attend such a special event at our hotel! Thanks for reaching out about your experience with us, and I'm pleased that you were impressed with everything from the staff to the banquet room for the wedding. Hope you'll be able to return to our hotel for another visit sometime!

Reviewed 17 July 2014

My husband and I recently spent 3 nights at the Francis Marion Hotel and could not have been more pleased with our experience. The room was clean, bright and comfortable. I was very impressed with the hotel employees. Marika checked us in and went above and beyond...even sent a sweet little note and a treat to our room the first evening because I told her it was our "honeymoon" eight years late. :) I was also very pleased with the location of the hotel. I definitely recommend this hotel and can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks to you and your husband for staying with us while in Charleston, Larissa! I'm very happy to hear that Marika and the rest of the staff were helpful on your visit. Congratulations on your honeymoon, and we hope you'll be back for an anniversary (or any other occasion) in the future!

All the best,
Damascus, Maryland
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

The location can't be better. We were upgraded to a suite so this way exceeded our expectations. Great staff, clean rooms and it's a historic property. You won't regret staying here! Easy walk to all of the action so your car will sit. Nice little fitness facility was a huge plus.

Stayed July 2014
Thanks so much for your kind words on your stay! I'm very flattered by your kind words, and I hope you'll be back to visit again soon. Wishing you safe travels in the meantime!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed for one night and were impressed by the staff. They were very willing to at all turns.
i look forward to going back. The room was smaller than I imagined but this is an older hotel.
We had drinks at the Swamp Fox and the bartender made us drinks that were mot on the standard menu. Thanks to the front desk for having what my wife needed to treat some nasty blisters.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
I'm very pleased to hear that you were so impressed with the staff, Frank! Can't wait to have you visit again soon, and our team wishes you safe travels in the meantime.

Much appreciated,
Chapin, South Carolina
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The Francis Marion Hotel is EXCELLENT in every way. The location is perfect to shopping, restaurants and the water front. From the time we were greeted by the front desk staff, we were treated like royalty.
The rooms were clean and comfortable. We were there for a conference. I found the space and service from that staff to be just as stellar.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view!!! BEAUTIFUL