“Excellent Service! Rooms Subpar for Price!”

Francis Marion Hotel
Ranked #23 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Kansas City, Missouri
“Excellent Service! Rooms Subpar for Price!”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Checked in with a friendly and helpful staff. Went to my room and was NOT impressed (very dirty--as in needs a deep cleaning). The doors had dirt/grime on them, hair hanging from lamp shades, and "caked" dust on the curtain valances. I'm normally not one to complain but I couldn't take it--especially for how much I was paying! Went to the front desk and spoke with Courtney (who's absolutely amazing); she was very professional and provided me with another room that was better. She also sent chocolate covered strawberries and a card up to my room later. I absolutely appreciated her sincerity and professionalism to "make it right". She and another front desk lady (can't remember her name--long, pretty sounding name) would ask how everything was until the day I left--they were awesome! Though the service was EXCEPTIONAL, I'm not sure I'd stay at this hotel again due to the cleanliness problem. I understand it's an old hotel but there are some deep cleaning problems there. The 2nd room I received was better than the 1st obviously but I still some deep cleaning issues (dust/grime--just to a lesser degree). And maybe it's because I was paying so much a night (up to $279) that I expected and demanded a little more. Just wish the rooms would have "matched" the excellent service from the front desk! Good work ladies, keep it up!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
I'm surprised to hear that you arrived to a room that was anything less than stellar, Adrienne. We take great care to clean every room daily and thoroughly. It's wonderful to hear that our front desk staff was able to help you when you brought this to their attention. I appreciate you reaching out about your stay, and I'll definitely look into ways to make each guest's visit an even better one. Wishing you safe travels, and I'd love for you to consider returning in the future!

Gayle Karolczyk, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (747)
Oakton, Virginia
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This is a 1920's era hotel that has been beautifully restored. The hotel is located in the heart of Charleston and within walking distance to all the great shops, restaurants and attractions.There's a free cable car that stops in front of the hotel and will take you to most places if you're not able to walk which we needed for my mother; it was very convienent. The hotel is beautifully decorated and the rooms are quite spacious. I'm not sure what room others may have had but ours had two bathrooms and this came in handy since we have two children. Yes the bathrooms are smaller than some hotels but they were nice and clean. The front desk staff (I didn't get their names) were very nice and helpful when I asked for some info about local attractions or needed change. Also, whenever you walk by you're sure to be greeted with a friendly smile. We dined in the restaurant for several meals and the food was excellant. The fried green tomatoes were fried with panko bread crumbs and red pepper jelly and goat cheese. These were some of the best I've ever had. The crab cakes were also very tasty and mostly crabmeat and not loaded with filler. The breakfast buffet should not be missed; it has everything. Be sure to have the grits because they are creamy and full of flavor, definitely not watery. Dereck was our waiter and was very polite and helpful. He suggfested a few things for my children and they were happy. Not easy to please children sometimes but he did. Daniel greeted each time we dined there and he is charming and very gracious. He checked on us several times during our meals just to make sure we were okay. I also would like to mention Tyler who greeted us upon our arrival. His friendly attitude and helpfulness are to be commended. We will definitely return to the Francis Marion!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the park; the view is beautiful.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
It's wonderful to read your very kind and well-written review! Thanks so much for the compliments on everything from the accommodating rooms to the helpful staff. I'm pleased to hear that you were able to dine with us, too. It means so much to read about your visit with us, and I look forward to having you back again soon!

All the best,
Nottingham, England
Reviewed 19 July 2014

The Francis Marion is in an excellent location to explore historic Charleston. While the rooms are comfortable (bathroom very small but adequate) it is perhaps not as polished as it once was.

The breakfast in the Swamp Fox was great and the staff at check-in were very helpful.

For those parking, it is $16 per day in the adjacent car park.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BOFIN
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
I'm very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our hotel's location, as well as the Swamp Fox breakfast. I appreciate your feedback on the rooms, too, and find it helpful to not when looking for ways to improve. I appreciate you staying with us while in Charleston, and would love to have you visit again!

Best wishes,
Kingsport, Tennessee
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We booked this hotel primarily for its wonderful location; it is in easy walking distance of most of the sites we wanted to visit. The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. Unfortunately, even though the hotel still exudes an atmosphere of elegance and luxuriousness with its beautiful architecture and furnishings, the room we stayed in really showed its age. Power strips have been added to make up for the small amount of electrical outlets. Traveling with children, we required a double room. The beds are full-size, rather than queen, probably because they barely fit in the space available. Although we were somewhat cramped, the bedding was comfortable and luxurious. To be fair, though, there was plenty of floor space and several chairs on the other side of the room -- just an awkward layout from having to accommodate two beds. To get to the bathroom, you had to squeeze alongside one of the beds; in fact, the door didn't swing open all the way but caught against the bed. Although cleverly updated with a granite countertop and rounded vanity to maximize the space as much as possible, the bathroom was tiny; fortunately, there was a nice-sized vanity in the main room. Although the space appeared clean, a white powdery substance was all over the baseboard and floor behind the toilet. Upon inspection of the wall, it appeared to be the result of hopefully very recent spackling/sanding/touch-up painting since the floor obviously hadn't been mopped since then.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review on your recent stay with us! It's helpful to hear what you thought of your room that your family stayed in, and I appreciate your feedback on the bathroom, too. Our hotel was built in 1924, and while we take great care to preserve it's history, we also appreciate hearing where any updates may be needed! Thanks for reaching out about your visit.

All the best,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I am giving this hotel a 4/5 but would rather give it a 3.5/5. The location of the hotel is excellent, and the staff are quite friendly and helpful. Having said that, the hotel itself is quite old so for that reason, the rooms are quite small. Our room on the 10th floor was tiny, and had two tiny beds and a tiny washroom. It didn't have the basic amenities that almost every other hotel does (fridge, safe in room). The beds were comfortable but could have been better. Everything other than the room was great about this hotel, but obviously that's quite important. Since I booked this hotel on hotwire, and got a great price, I feel that it was good value. But if I had paid much more than what I did, I would have been disappointed.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thanks for letting me know what you thought of your recent stay. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the location and staff, but I wish we could've made your room even more comfortable. Hope you'll be back to stay with us the next time you're in Charleston, and our team wishes you safe travels!

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I would not reccomend this hotel. While the location was great, the hotel itself needs some serious updates. I understand it is a historic hotel but having a power strip (the kind you have at work) as your power source is just tacky. The room I was put in initially didn't even have a lock and it took a few calls to the front to get switched to another room. Underwhelmed!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
I wish we could've impressed you on your visit. Thanks for reaching out about what you thought could be improved -- your feedback is helpful. Our team takes great care to put each guest's needs first, and I wish your transition to a new room could've been even smoother. Your feedback is much appreciated, and I hope you'll consider staying with us again whenever in the area. Safe travels!

Boston
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I recently attended a wedding at the Francis Marion Hotel. My husband and I flew in for the event, and it was a complete and total success! The banquet event staff was absolutely phenomenal and completely in tune to the needs of the guests. They went way above and beyond to ensure our comfort, even making my husband an extra plate of food from the kitchen when he got hungry from all of the dancing! The room that the wedding was held in was gorgeous and they flipped it during the cocktail hour so quickly and smoothly, that it was almost unnoticeable. I wish I could remember everyone's name to mention them, but there were just so many wonderful people that I couldn't. We did receive a lot of help from Carrie and Esther, and they were both so kind and caring. It made the whole wedding such a wonderful experience for all of us. I would definitely recommend the Francis Marion for a wedding or any other event.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
I'm so happy to hear that you were able to attend such a special event at our hotel! Thanks for reaching out about your experience with us, and I'm pleased that you were impressed with everything from the staff to the banquet room for the wedding. Hope you'll be able to return to our hotel for another visit sometime!

Best wishes,