“We will be back!”

Ranked #23 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Cape Coral, Florida
“We will be back!”
Reviewed 9 February 2009

What a fabulous hotel! This is an old historic building which is an amazing hotel! We loved it so much! The restaurant downstairs - The Swamp Fox - was a delightful escape from the corporate restaurants! LOVE THIS HOTEL!! We are already making plans to go back!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (735)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 27 January 2009

We got a great rate on the Francis Marion for a quick MLK Weekend getaway. Overall, the hotel is a nice, historic property, and the staff is very accommodating and attentive. We arrived early for check-in, so the front desk offered to keep our bags and call us when the room was ready. They called my cell phone at the appointed time and we walked back to check in. We had requested a room away from the elevators with a king bed (and you don't always get your requested type when you book through a discount website). We first found ourselves in a room right next to the elevator, and the room was also one of their few "accessible" rooms, so there was no tub in the bathroom. I called down to the desk to request a move to a room with a tub (it was unexpectedly cold in Charleston over this weekend, and I wanted a hot bath), and they immediately sent someone up to give us new keys. The bed was comfortable and the room fairly spacious, as well as the common areas being clean and elelgant. I would agree with some other reviewers that there are minor things that tend to draw my attention and affect my overall opinion negatively (mildew in the bathroom), and it was very hard to regulate the temperature in our room as well as the water temp and pressure in the shower.

This place is perfectly situated for exploring historic Charleston on foot. Most of King Street north of this property is abandoned and boarded up...but going south is easy and pleasant. Note that it is fairly impossible to get a taxi in Charleston. We did not rent a car because we planned to walk a lot and cab it when not walking, and the door staff at the Francis Marion did their best to help by calling cabs in advance, but we still waited a very long time and way overpaid for each and every taxi ride we took while there.

It was nice to have a Starbucks downstairs, and we had drinks and dessert at the Swamp Fox in the lobby one night and enjoyed it.

• Liked — location and value
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Washington,DC
Reviewed 22 January 2009

Stayed at the Francis Marion in January.

Highlights
1. Proximity to historic Charleston: I was able to easily walk to the major sites; would also be good if visiting a College of Charleston student
2. Comfortable bed and pillows
3. Large flat panel TV (approx. 42")
4. Free internet in "business center"
5. Inviting lobby/lounge
6. Starbucks in the bottom of the hotel

Lowlights
1. Comforter had a stain on it. I prefer hotels that put a fresh duvet on the comforter every day. A revolving-door comforter grosses me out.
2. Tiny bathroom: The bathroom was so tiny I couldn't set my hair dryer and/or make up bag on the shelf above the sink.
3. Small mildew spots in shower

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Slightly unclean
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
New Jersey
Reviewed 18 January 2009

Stayed here for combined leisure and conference. The hotel was fairly empty and extended a very favorable conference rate for the entire stay, even with an extra adult and child in the room.

On the plus side -- for a pretty low price for Charleston, we had a nicely furnished room with an outstanding view of the city and harbor. You can easily walk anywhere in downtown Charleston. The staff were friendly and helpful. The free wireless internet worked very well except for a brief period one evening. We did not try the restaurant -- there are hundreds of restaurants of all descriptions within a short walk.

This is an older hotel that has been freshened but not fully renovated. The overall impression of the rooms is nice, but close inspection reveals things that aren't immaculate -- one window painted shut, scuffs and cracks in trim paint, and worn bathroom fixtures. The air conditioning didn't seem to do much, but since it was January, it may not have been connected -- we opened the window instead (the one that wasn't painted shut). The toilet didn't flush very forcefully, but we didn't have a real problem with it.

The bathroom was very small, but it still managed to contain a much larger, better bathtub than most modern hotels. The hot water supply was fine.

The King Street area gets a little noisy on weekend nights -- partyers, bikers, etc. There was also slightly more noise than average intruding from other rooms.

The beds were comfortable, but a little high off the floor.

Overall recommendation: if you can get a reasonable price, I would recommend this hotel despite its imperfections. But I would not recommend it for very special occasions like honeymoons etc.

• Liked — Location, friendly staff, view, value
  • Disliked — Minor maintenance issues, small bathroom
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
RecentGrad
Reviewed 1 January 2009

As recent college grad's, splurging on a hotel room for a romantic New Year's Eve getaway was a big deal, and we had big expectations. The Francis Marion Hotel met every one! The room was absolutely beautiful and the perfect size for us! Even though we chose not to pay extra for a room with a view, our room's large window looked right onto Marion square where we could watch the holiday festivities and see the bands as we got ready for our big night out. What made us want to write this review, however, was the amazing staff!!!

After waiting for almost two hours to get into a bar party on New Year's Eve, we gave up and called a cab to bring us back to the hotel. We felt defeated, tired, and hungry!! We called down to the hotel and asked if there was any food available for room service. Even though they said the kitchen was closed (which at 11 o'clock was no surprise) they said they would be happy to make us turkey sandwiches. We came down to the hotel's restaurant the Swamp Fox and ate our Turkey sandwiches at the bar with the other New Year's Eve revelers with the biggest smile on our faces!!!

What had previously been a pretty unsuccessful New Year's Eve, quickly became one of the funnest (and funniest!) that we will remember forever. I would highly recommend this hotel for any young couple just like us, wanting to get away and get all the service and beautiful accommodation's that they are splurging for!!

• Liked — Absolutely beautiful rooms, amazing views, wonderful Staff, perfect location
  • Disliked — small closets and bathrooms
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RecentGrad
Nashville
Reviewed 31 December 2008

I didn't stay at the hotel but I booked massages for me, my boyfriend, Mom and sister at the Spa Adagio. They were awesome. I loved my massage and it was one of the best I have had if not the best. it was $90 for a 60 minute massage and definitley worth the money after touring the city!

Stayed December 2008
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 28 December 2008

This was my second stay at the FMH. It is an historic hotel, with pros and cons. The pros: beautiful foyer, excellent staff, centrally located at King/Calhoun streets, well furnished rooms. The cons: habitually slow, small elevators, small bathrooms, single-pane windows that do little to quiet street noise.

On this visit, I had a couple of problems with my initial room. In the bath, my choice of water temperatures was either cold or scalding -- nothing in between. Overnight, there was an intermittent noise (sounded like someone sanding/scraping a wall) that woke me roughly every half-hour.

When I reported the issues at the front desk the next morning, the staffer informed me that there's an ongoing problem w/ noise emanating from a new building being constructed at the nearby College of Charleston. Guests staying in the SW corner seem to get the worst of the noise.

In the end, I was moved to another room -- a far more spacious suite in the NE corner of the hotel. For my trouble, the front desk staff also offered to comp me a meal in the hotel restaurant. I declined -- all I wanted was a nice shower and good night's sleep. Nevertheless, I was very favorably impressed w/ the customer service; I recommend the hotel for that reason alone.

Bottom line, it's a nice, historic hotel - rates in the top 25% of the ~20 hotels I've stayed in in the greater Charleston area. There are many other fine hotels nearby, including some good chain outlets. If you prefer the feel of a historic hotel, this is a good bet.

• Liked — Excellent customer service - resolved all problems promptly
  • Disliked — Noise from nearby construction
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business